• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stanley Cup Finals - (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (3) Boston Bruins

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8193698.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I'm rooting (slightly) for the Canucks. Still hope it goes to 7 games, but that the Cupless franchise brings their first home.

That said, I have an index card to put in the Vancouver comment box. It reads...

"Dear Canuck fans,
I understand the "Looouuuuuuuuuuu" chant in the stadium. It gets the crowd worked up and everyone enjoys it. When he pulls down a big glove save, shuts down a puck loose in the crease, or makes a great lateral stop with his pad, it's awesome. Keep it up. However, do we really need to hear "Looouuuuuuuuu" every time a puck softly trickles into the zone and he covers it up with the glove. On a weak floating wrister from a bad angle he easily pulls into his glove as if an 8-year old girl had just tossed him a softball. Stop it, please. Delineate. If there are 38 shots on goal that night, we don't need to hear "Loooooouuuuuuuuu" 38 times. Make it special for when he actually makes a great save.

Keep the green men and the topless women - both great.

Sincerely - A fan about to be pummeled by Canuck fans"

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
nice. is that an IPW original?
good work, if so.
"Dear Canuck fans,
I understand the "Looouuuuuuuuuuu" chant in the stadium. It gets the crowd worked up and everyone enjoys it. When he pulls down a big glove save, shuts down a puck loose in the crease, or makes a great lateral stop with his pad, it's awesome. Keep it up. However, do we really need to hear "Looouuuuuuuuu" every time a puck softly trickles into the zone and he covers it up with the glove. On a weak floating wrister from a bad angle he easily pulls into his glove as if an 8-year old girl had just tossed him a softball. Stop it, please. Delineate. If there are 38 shots on goal that night, we don't need to hear "Loooooouuuuuuuuu" 38 times. Make it special for when he actually makes a great save.

Keep the green men and the topless women - both great.

Sincerely - A fan about to be pummeled by Canuck fans"

agreed. those tend to be the same people who yell "SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT" for every powerplay, all powerplay long.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. those tend to be the same people who yell "SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT" for every powerplay, all powerplay long.

Or throw hats when Alex Semin gets two goals? Dumb fans everywhere, it just drives me a little nuts watching the broadcasts.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Chris Tanev backstory (for those that never heard it)

classic late bloomer(grower - lol)

Everybody marvels at the calmness that Chris Tanev displays, even in the most pressure-packed hockey game.

The ultimate example was Friday night's Game 5 of the Stanley Cup final, when the 21-year-old rookie was thrown into the defensive mix after Keith Ballard's attempt to replace the suspended Aaron Rome failed miserably in Game 4.

Pressure? Nerves? Apparently not. The Toronto native logged a nearly flawless 12:15 of ice time during which he brilliantly set up Tanner Glass for an almost-goal in the 1-0 win over Boston that brought the Canucks to within a win of the franchise's first Stanley Cup. He was even out there in the last three minutes of a game where any mistake could be catastrophic. Not bad for a player who was ninth on the blueline depth chart when the playoffs began.

“It's just my personality,” said the soft-spoken Tanev. “I don't get too excited. I'm not an over the top guy. I'm just trying to have fun and play hockey.”

So where does that come from?

“He doesn't get it from me, I'll tell you that,” said Chris' dad, Mike, over the phone on Saturday from Toronto. “We're total opposites.

“Maybe it's because he's had to go through a lot of adversity growing up and that's how he decided to approach things."

And maybe that father-son yin-yang is why Tanev is where he is today.

Tanev, signed by the Canucks as an unheralded free agent last spring out of low-profile Rochester Institute of Technology, is the classic late bloomer and always had to beat the rap of being too small. He abandoned competitive hockey in Grade 10, at 15, when he was cut by seven minor midget teams in Toronto because of his size – about five feet and 100 pounds. You'd never know it now, seeing the 6-foot-2, 185-pounder.“Basically, since Novice I've had to beg to get him on a team,” said Mike. “They said he was too small. When he was being scouted by NCAA schools, a lot of them said he's not big enough, not strong enough, not tough enough. Where does it say in the rule book that a defenceman has to bodycheck? It's all about positioning.”

When Tanev's options ran out, he played high school hockey in Grade 10 and 11.
“I let him hang out with his buddies in high school,” said Mike. “I wasn't shoving hockey down his throat 24 hours a day.”

By Grade 12, Chris had grown to 5-foot-9 and 135 pounds, but Mike still had to do a selling job to get his son on an Ontario Tier 2 junior team.
“Mike was really good with him in terms of teaching him and Chris was patient with his dad,” said Canucks director of player development Dave Gagner, who was familiar with Chris from minor hockey and pushed the NHL club to sign him after watching RIT in the NCAA tournament last spring. “It's not always easy to have that relationship.

“The thing about Mike is he would take him anywhere to improve his game. He'd drive four hours each way to take Chris to practice if he had to.”

Tanev was the talk of Canucks training camp, made a seamless transition to the AHL, and when called up to the NHL in January didn't look out of place in 29 games. In three playoff games nothing's changed: crisp first passes out of the zone and high-end hockey sense.

“He's got those getaway instincts,” said Glass. “What is he? A hundred and whatever pounds and he seems to never get hit. He's so smart with the puck. He stepped in really well.”

When the playoffs began – before the injury to Dan Hamhuis and Rome's suspension – there seemed to be zero chance that Chris might get into a game, much less the final.

“As a dad it's really gratifying to see his accomplishments,” said Mike, who spoke with Chris following the game.

“I just told him you have a right to be excited. You just played a fabulous game.”

Read more: Tanev beat too-small rap with big play

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
lots to speculate from today's practice.

Kesler not there. CoHo taking his spot. presumable (please) a maintenance day
Tanev playing with suspended Rome?? AV afraid to play him without last change?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
lots to speculate from today's practice.

Kesler not there. CoHo taking his spot. presumable (please) a maintenance day
Tanev playing with suspended Rome?? AV afraid to play him without last change?

AV loosely suggested no change in D pairings from game 5.
that's good... Tanev's dad and 2 brothers are flying in for the game.

make it EPIC!!!

and yes, Kesler is just a maintenance day.
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/coach_vigneault_from_boston_today/

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
He's the worst kind...High maintenance but thinks he's low maintenance.

/rep for the first person who identifies the movie

I'll have what she's having.

(per the rules: When Harry Met Sally)