• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stanley Cup Finals - (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (3) Boston Bruins

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
speaking of Tyler Dellow

I’d meant to link to this during the whole Campbell kerfuffle earlier this year but never got around to it. Chris Boersma at Hockey Numbers compiled a list of how often certain referees make calls against Gregory Campbell relative to the rate at which they make calls as a whole. Coincidentally, the guys who were number 1 in terms of fewest calls against Campbell (Stephen Walkom), 8 (Kelly Sutherland) and 12 (Dan O’Rourke) have all been selected to officiate the Stanley Cup Finals.

Numbers 2 (Rob Schick), 3 (Mick McGeough) and 11 (Bill McCreary) on the list were unavailable due to retirement. Dave Jackson (4), Mike Hasenfratz (7) and Gord Dwyer (9) weren’t selected to work the playoffs. So, put another way, of the twenty referees deemed best qualified to work the playoffs, the least likely, fourth least likely and seventh least likely to call penalties against Gregory Campbell managed to get spots working the Stanley Cup finals.

Of the eight referees selected for the third round, only two of them ranked were in the half of the list that was more likely to call penalties on Gregory Campbell. This is almost certainly not a sign of overt bias on the part of the league but bias works on the subconscious in a funny way. We know that calls on Campbell resulted, in a least a few occasions, in emails from Campbell to the director of officiating, in which he communicated his views as to the merit of those calls. Were there other emails like that? Who knows. Do the assessors of the referees have some idea as to Campbell’s views of at least some calls against his son that colour their assessment of referees? Presumably they do.

What about referees calling games involving Campbell? Power plays don’t generally fall that much in the playoffs. He’s played 18 games so far in the playoffs and taken only two penalties, one of which was a coincidental for roughing. So four minutes in penalties. He’s played 443 regular season games, which provides 426 18 game segments (ie. 1-18, 2-19 etc.). What are the odds of Campbell going 18 games with only 4 PIM or fewer in his career once you strip out the majors and misconducts, which don’t generally happen in the playoffs? 19.2%. It’s an unusual occurrence. An extra round in the playoffs is worth $18,000 to a referee, by the way.

Can you convict anyone on this? I wouldn’t. However, I’d always expect something like this to be a difficult case to prove because it’s going to affect people on the margins, if it does at all. It might not even be a conscious thing. This is why a healthier standard for organizations to apply is to not only be free of bias but to also be free of the appearance of bias. The NHL, I think, implicitly acknowledged this with their pre-Coliemail stance that he had nothing to do with games in which Gregory was involved. That stance was made more difficult for the outside observer to accept by the revelation that, on at least two occasions, he emailed the head of officiating and complained about calls involving his son. You’re now left with either taking them at their word that nothing inappropriate happens or to sort of wonder whether the appropriate ethical walls are in place.

I am cheering for Boston, for obvious reasons (I think Vancouver will crush them though), but I have to admit that it’d be made all the more fun if the series turned on a moment involving a critical call or non-call and Gregory Campbell. The NHL has decided, for whatever reason, that it is sensible for them to take the risk of looking terrible if that occurs. It would look good on them if it did, particularly because Vancouver’s fans and management are not noted for their philosophical demeanour in the face of crushing disappointment.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I would have liked to see what they could do with a 7:30 pacific start time ... and if this whole body clock thing is meaningless I guess the canucks are wasting money on the sleep doctors then

there is definitely something to set routines / body clocks, etc.
It's why the Lions ALWAYS make sure eastern teams play at 7:30.

buuuut.... it's an east-coast league, we are just interlopers here.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is definitely something to set routines / body clocks, etc.
It's why the Lions ALWAYS make sure eastern teams play at 7:30.

buuuut.... it's an east-coast league, we are just interlopers here.

why can the NBA start its finals games at 6 pacific/9 eastern when you have Miami in the east and Dallas isnt even in the pacific time zone?

also why the hell is the NBA starting their finals before the NHL

ridonculous ... for fucks sakes lets start game 1

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
How long have the Bruins been in Vancouver? I don't think the time difference should be a factor for the Bruins. Game 1 is Wednesday, but Game 2 isn't until Saturday. I don't think we'll be able to tell if the long flights & time change make a difference for either team unless the series goes 6 or 7 games.

Bruins got in this evening .... so they can kind of stay on Eastern time for Game 1 (ie. their body clocks will be ready for an 8:00EDT start time).

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why can the NBA start its finals games at 6 pacific/9 eastern when you have Miami in the east and Dallas isnt even in the pacific time zone?

That's unusual, The NHL finals generally start first.

naslundfan19

Boredom Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only thing I can think of is that both series got over before Game 7?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I can think of is that both series got over before Game 7?

the cup final should have started tonight ... Memorial day ... would have had the stage all to themselves ... instead they let the NBA get a jump on them

dumb!

wolfgang

wkern42
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
NBC Carrying games 1,2 and 5,6,7 has to have had some sway. And CBC wanting games for Saturday HNIC.

I thought that 6PM local would have been used for at least some games...

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay the only thing worse than Luongo winning the Cup for me would be the Flyers winning it. My biggest problem is when I look at the Canucks lineup it's SICK. However, I have faith in you Roberto. YOU CAN CHOKE!!

Now the Bruins must do two things when shooting against Luongo:

1.Shoot the damn puck HIGH STICK SIDE!!
2.Crowd the NET. No goalie can stop what they can't see. They just pray it hits them.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant fucking wait for tomorrow!!!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many more weeks until this series starts? Will having a month off benefit or hurt Vancouver?

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, 1 more day,then another 3 before we see game 2.
I don't care who's booked in the god damn arena,throw their asses out.

Hockey is,and should be the number 1 venue there now.Screw Bruno Mars,let him play on his own planet.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, 1 more day,then another 3 before we see game 2.
I don't care who's booked in the god damn arena,throw their asses out.

Hockey is,and should be the number 1 venue there now.Screw Bruno Mars,let him play on his own planet.

the reason theyre not playing friday isnt Bruno mars ... he could have been bumped ... NBC wants the Saturday to show hockey

they could have gone game 1 last night game 2 Wednesday game 3 in Boston Saturday

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the reason theyre not playing friday isnt Bruno mars ... he could have been bumped ... NBC wants the Saturday to show hockey

they could have gone game 1 last night game 2 Wednesday game in 3 in Boston Saturday

WHHAAATT and trump the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this idea that Bettman wanted to put off the start of the cup final until the Thrashers and Winnipeg got a deal to move the franchise is probably the main reason it didnt start last night

sure you dont want to have a franchise relocation story overshadow the final while its going on but what are you gonna do? Its gonna be announced this morning and it will still be talked about the rest of the playoffs

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHHAAATT and trump the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals.

NBA is going tuesday/thursday/sunday for its first 3 ... at least the NHL knows not to go head to head and schedule games on the same night