• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stan Van Gundy: Andre Drummond's free throw woes a 'problem'

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before this season I may have agreed on Drummond. This he has actually improved. He hits his little hook fairly regularly which is way more than just put backs and ally-oops he had last year. He still has work to do, obviously, but he is going in the right direction offensively.

That's good. I knew he was young enough to learn to play the post. Now he just needs a go to move (unless it's going to his hook shot) and as you say, his free throws.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's recognized its a problem since like the beginning of the season. He has never been afraid to give Drummond the quick hook.

There's a reason we signed Aaron Baynes in the off season.
His words have been rather dismissive all year imo.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This alludes to another issue with today's players.......NONE of them have a go-to move like the skyhook. Man everytime down the court, Kareem could get that shot. Jordan could get the fadeaway......Hakeem could get the dream shake......for a quality look and most likely buckets.

Today's players don't have that in their repetoire at all. If Lebron had Jordan's lower block fade away he'd be UNSTOPPABLE. If Drummond or even Dwight Howard had the skyhook there'd be no stopping them.

Well Lebron does do the fadeaway but not nearly as much as he should. When he does it on the baseline he usually makes it. Seemed like he did it more early in his career.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's good. I knew he was young enough to learn to play the post. Now he just needs a go to move (unless it's going to his hook shot) and as you say, his free throws.
He has hit nearly twice as many hook shots this year compared to last. He hits 43.5 percent. I just feel like he is over reliant and uses it too often. He often chucks it up from 10 feet instead of getting better post position. He also needs to work on a counter

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has hit nearly twice as many hook shots this year compared to last. He hits 43.5 percent. I just feel like he is over reliant and uses it too often. He often chucks it up from 10 feet instead of getting better post position. He also needs to work on a counter
Right. Not only is it his go to move, it is his only move. He definitely is a work in progress, but it is good to see that the work is being done. If you look at my posts from last off season I doubted he would move on from just athleticism, so any moves are good. He just needs to keep working (especially at the free throw line).

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Gundy: Drummond 'open' to underhand FTs

Underhand free throws may be coming soon.

Rick Barry has been preaching the underhand freethrow for so long. But Barry's shot isn't like a granny style under hand shot. He places both hands on the sides of the ball and flicks his wrists up to shoot.

IMO, Rick Barry's version of the underhand shot requires a good amount of touch to get down consistently. I just watched a video of him shooting, and it looks much more difficult than it sounds for it's intended target group of players to use. Guys like DeAndre and Drummond struggle with touch on the shot. DeAndre actually has decent form if you watch, but he can't gauge distance. The same problem will occur with Rick Barry's style shot as well, IMO.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, a young Silk in the video. An unconventional jump shot and an unconventional free throw.

I agree that shooting underhand isn't the be all and end all of poor free throw shooting. Any form requires significant practice to become routine.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, a young Silk in the video. An unconventional jump shot and an unconventional free throw.

I agree that shooting underhand isn't the be all and end all of poor free throw shooting. Any form requires significant practice to become routine.

I agree.

The only possible advantage is that I think a lot of 7 footers have a tough time getting enough arc on free throws. But, yeah. This will not be an overnight cure.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting about under handed free throws, wonder how much traction they would get.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

The only possible advantage is that I think a lot of 7 footers have a tough time getting enough arc on free throws. But, yeah. This will not be an overnight cure.

No doubt they'd have to practice it quit a bit in the off-season. But it's at least something to try. The problem is getting them to actually try it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting about under handed free throws, wonder how much traction they would get.

Until a player like Drummond has success with it, probably not much.

I bet Rick Barry would have been a 90% FT shooter or close to it, shooting normally also.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be a way to get past any kind of mental block he has with normal form.