• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stan Van Gundy: Andre Drummond's free throw woes a 'problem'

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are three guys who shoot under 50%. It's crazy!

I hope they don't change the rule to bail these fuckers out. You make millions! Learn to shoot FREE throws!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are three guys who shoot under 50%. It's crazy!

I hope they don't change the rule to bail these fuckers out. You make millions! Learn to shoot FREE throws!

I agree. You don't have to be Jerry West, but no pro should be under 60%.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand why they won't shoot underhand. You look incredibly stupid when you can't hit FT's and have to be removed from the game. That is far worse than underhand FT's.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand why they won't shoot underhand. You look incredibly stupid when you can't hit FT's and have to be removed from the game. That is far worse than underhand FT's.

They think they'll get laughed at. I'm sure Rick Barry got laughed at too...until he started hitting free throws at a 90% clip for his career.

2 things I've never understood in the NBA...why guys who are horrible free throw shooters, won't even try the underhand shot and why bigs won't learn the skyhook.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilt did it for a year. He also tried shooting jumpshots for a year.

I heard the story where Shaq would make like 90% of underhand FTs in practice -- but he refused to do it in games -- thought he would look stupid.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They think they'll get laughed at. I'm sure Rick Barry got laughed at too...until he started hitting free throws at a 90% clip for his career.

2 things I've never understood in the NBA...why guys who are horrible free throw shooters, won't even try the underhand shot and why bigs won't learn the skyhook.

This alludes to another issue with today's players.......NONE of them have a go-to move like the skyhook. Man everytime down the court, Kareem could get that shot. Jordan could get the fadeaway......Hakeem could get the dream shake......for a quality look and most likely buckets.

Today's players don't have that in their repetoire at all. If Lebron had Jordan's lower block fade away he'd be UNSTOPPABLE. If Drummond or even Dwight Howard had the skyhook there'd be no stopping them.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This alludes to another issue with today's players.......NONE of them have a go-to move like the skyhook. Man everytime down the court, Kareem could get that shot. Jordan could get the fadeaway......Hakeem could get the dream shake......for a quality look and most likely buckets.

Today's players don't have that in their repetoire at all. If Lebron had Jordan's lower block fade away he'd be UNSTOPPABLE. If Drummond or even Dwight Howard had the skyhook there'd be no stopping them.
Except for, of course, fouling them.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilt did it for a year. He also tried shooting jumpshots for a year.

I heard the story where Shaq would make like 90% of underhand FTs in practice -- but he refused to do it in games -- thought he would look stupid.

Shaq was the perfect guy to do it. I always felt with his personality, not only could he get away with it but he could make money via commercials. He has no problem laughing at himself. He could of owned it and people would of loved it. Plus, his scoring averaged would of jump up to the 30's nightly. Scoring titles. MVP's. Then anyone laughing, he can go :finger:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree 100%. About the only big I can think of that has a true go to move that he can get any time he wants is Dirk with that one legged fall away shot of his. It's just about as unblockable as Kareem's skyhook was.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%. About the only big I can think of that has a true go to move that he can get any time he wants is Dirk with that one legged fall away shot of his. It's just about as unblockable as Kareem's skyhook was.

Let's just hope Whiteside comes to the Lakers to lean the skyhook from Kareem.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He hit that shit, REPEATEDLY, last night.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Equally effective, but much different because Dirk is more of a mid-post guy and has a ton of skill.

Given how badly players like Howard and Drummond struggle from the FT line, I am not sure they have the touch and coordination necessary to execute the sky hook. Kareem made it look easy, but there is a reason he was one of the greatest ever. He had fantastic touch and timing. I think the reason why we don't see more players emulating Kareem's sky hook and Dirk's fade away is because those shots are nearly impossible to duplicate.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Equally effective, but much different because Dirk is more of a mid-post guy and has a ton of skill.

Given how badly players like Howard and Drummond struggle from the FT line, I am not sure they have the touch and coordination necessary to execute the sky hook. Kareem made it look easy, but there is a reason he was one of the greatest ever. He had fantastic touch and timing. I think the reason why we don't see more players emulating Kareem's sky hook and Dirk's fade away is because those shots are nearly impossible to duplicate.

Agree on Dirk. As for Dwight and Drummond, Kareem wasn't just born with the ability to shoot the skyhook. It was developed over time with lots of practice. Same as Dirk's one legged fallaway (actually saw a story where they showed him with his shooting coach, practicing that shot).

Dirks shot and Kareem's skyhook are just examples. The larger point is that most bigs today don't have that go to shot or go to move that they can get any time they want. As athletic and talented as guys like Dwight and Drummond are. They should have little problem developing a go to move. Doesn't have to be the skyhook or Dirk's shot, but something.

Drummond is young enough that there's still a chance that he may develop one. Dwight on the other hand, doesn't seem interested. When he was with the Lakers, Kareem offered to work with him on post moves and Dwight's response was basically..."Nah, I'm good."

Then, he gets to Houston, where his coach was one of the best bigs to ever play in Kevin McHale and also has access to Hakeem Olajuwon, yet he still has poor footwork and no go to move or shot.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on Dirk. As for Dwight and Drummond, Kareem wasn't just born with the ability to shoot the skyhook. It was developed over time with lots of practice. Same as Dirk's one legged fallaway (actually saw a story where they showed him with his shooting coach, practicing that shot).

Dirks shot and Kareem's skyhook are just examples. The larger point is that most bigs today don't have that go to shot or go to move that they can get any time they want. As athletic and talented as guys like Dwight and Drummond are. They should have little problem developing a go to move. Doesn't have to be the skyhook or Dirk's shot, but something.

Drummond is young enough that there's still a chance that he may develop one. Dwight on the other hand, doesn't seem interested. When he was with the Lakers, Kareem offered to work with him on post moves and Dwight's response was basically..."Nah, I'm good."

Then, he gets to Houston, where his coach was one of the best bigs to ever play in Kevin McHale and also has access to Hakeem Olajuwon, yet he still has poor footwork and no go to move or shot.

I agree for the most part. Dwight did not work hard enough to maximize his talent. Most skill development comes from hard work, but there is a hand/eye coordination component also. Some athletes acquire skills faster and more efficiently than others.

Howard does have basic post moves, just nothing indefensible like the players mentioned above. He is talented enough to develop one. I am not as sure about Drummond.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree for the most part. Dwight did not work hard enough to maximize his talent. Most skill development comes from hard work, but there is a hand/eye coordination component also. Some athletes acquire skills faster and more efficiently than others.

Howard does have basic post moves, just nothing indefensible like the players mentioned above. He is talented enough to develop one. I am not as sure about Drummond.

:lol: I agree. On the one hand, you have Dwight who is definitely talented enough to have developed a go to shot/move, but has pretty much refused to do so for his entire career (and now it's probably too late). On the other hand, you have Drummond who is young enough and might be willing to develop one, but may not be talented enough.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This unwillingness is across the board tho.

Witness the death of the mid range jumpshot.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This unwillingness is across the board tho.

Witness the death of the mid range jumpshot.

Analytics have a lot to do with that. They say that defenses who force a lot of mid range shots fare the best. Defend the rim and the corner 3 at all cost. If defenses want to force mid range, it follows that offenses will shoot fewer.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stan Van finally recognizing it is a big prorem!?!

Dude has to come out in important situations far too often. Since he's an absolute liability.

50% really isn't asking too much once a guy is in 7th-8th grade.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stan Van finally recognizing it is a big prorem!?!

Dude has to come out in important situations far too often. Since he's an absolute liability.

50% really isn't asking too much once a guy is in 7th-8th grade.
He's recognized its a problem since like the beginning of the season. He has never been afraid to give Drummond the quick hook.

There's a reason we signed Aaron Baynes in the off season.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: I agree. On the one hand, you have Dwight who is definitely talented enough to have developed a go to shot/move, but has pretty much refused to do so for his entire career (and now it's probably too late). On the other hand, you have Drummond who is young enough and might be willing to develop one, but may not be talented enough.
Before this season I may have agreed on Drummond. This he has actually improved. He hits his little hook fairly regularly which is way more than just put backs and ally-oops he had last year. He still has work to do, obviously, but he is going in the right direction offensively. Now he needs to put that effort into free throws also. The pistols must have the worst guy working with big men on free throws since Drummond and Wallace are all time worst.:gaah::L:eek: