• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford's Turnovers Way Down

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is frustrating for me is all. It is year 6 then 7. I worry all of sudden it is year 10 and he is still the same QB. I so hope you are right Ed that it is soon he puts it all together.

Just remember this Gandy, he is still only 26 years old. (Luck is 25). When we think Brees, Manning, Elway, Favre etc...we think of some of the greatest QB's of all time. Go back and look at their careers. They were full of up's and downs, good seasons followed by not so good for a variety of reasons. If you remember there was alot of talk about Manning being a playoff choker prior to his Superbowl. What I'm saying is...the end result was they were all Superbowl Champions. They got there, but it took a while for them to put it together. These things take time. Brady is the exception...he's been good every year. Thats why Brady is the best ever. Brady did however take over a team that was already playoff ready, so maybe that helped him. Whereas most high pick QB's takeover shitters.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a 5,000 yard season, two more over 4,500, a 4000 yard season and he's only 26. He's proven that if you can give him time to throw, he can be an effective pocket QB. Stafford is an asset for the Lions.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also remember that he had a few years of zero growth under Shwartz and company. Linehan is a good coordinator, but does not seem to be good at developing players and the folks he hired to do it were not very good. I think Staff has a good group of coaches now and I am already seeing development. He still has a long way to go though, but I expect big things from him in the coming years.

This last game he took a step forward with his pocket presence finally. He also did a better job getting through his progressions and stepping up in the pocket. Unfortunately, he had one of those days where he just was not accurate.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also remember that he had a few years of zero growth under Shwartz and company. Linehan is a good coordinator, but does not seem to be good at developing players and the folks he hired to do it were not very good. I think Staff has a good group of coaches now and I am already seeing development. He still has a long way to go though, but I expect big things from him in the coming years.

This last game he took a step forward with his pocket presence finally. He also did a better job getting through his progressions and stepping up in the pocket. Unfortunately, he had one of those days where he just was not accurate.

Yeah, a lot of this is true. Linehan isn't a great QB coach but definitely a superior play caller to Lombardi. All I remember is Staff having major happy feet a game or two ago. Hoping he has not gone the David Carr route.

I'm not quite sold on this coaching staff yet. Austin, yes. Lombardi, no way. Pencil Mustache, I don't know yet.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a lot of this is true. Linehan isn't a great QB coach but definitely a superior play caller to Lombardi. All I remember is Staff having major happy feet a game or two ago. Hoping he has not gone the David Carr route.

I'm not quite sold on this coaching staff yet. Austin, yes. Lombardi, no way. Pencil Mustache, I don't know yet.

Linehan has also had more years playing calls in the NFL

I think Staff's "happy feet" can be attributed to the O-line's deficiencies this year.

And I don't think ANY Lions fan is sold on Lombardi yet.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Feet goes away when you have trust in the o-line. Eyes up vs eyes down is a big factor in finding open guys. We have a weak middle...which is the worst because you flushed out instead of up in the pocket.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford attempted 602 passes this season. The fewest in a complete season for him. He had the fewest picks for a complete season in his career.

These stats tell me Caldwell does not want Stafford having to throw the ball to win. Control the game with ball control and limit turnovers. Stafford's stats suffered but the team ended up 11-5.

I was bitching about letting Stafford cut loose earlier in the season but I can't argue with 11-5. And it should have been 12-4 if they had a decent kicker. That would have won the North and gave them a home playoff game and a bye.

Their is a trade off stats versus wins in this system.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford attempted 602 passes this season. The fewest in a complete season for him. He had the fewest picks for a complete season in his career.

These stats tell me Caldwell does not want Stafford having to throw the ball to win. Control the game with ball control and limit turnovers. Stafford's stats suffered but the team ended up 11-5.

I was bitching about letting Stafford cut loose earlier in the season but I can't argue with 11-5. And it should have been 12-4 if they had a decent kicker. That would have won the North and gave them a home playoff game and a bye.

Their is a trade off stats versus wins in this system.

Let me ask you this. You are trading stats for wins but what happens if you don't have the #1 defense in the NFL backing you up? What will they do then? If Suh or Austin leaves, they definitely won't have next years #1 ranked D. Even if they come back, they probably won't play on the same level.

I'll say it now. Stafford is streaky as hell. If he gets hot in the playoffs.... We could win it all. But he is currently 0-16 against winning teams on the road and we need to win 4 straight on the road. If he can win in these playoffs, I'll be happy to shut my mouth. Defense wins championships but we need Stafford more than ever.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask you this. You are trading stats for wins but what happens if you don't have the #1 defense in the NFL backing you up? What will they do then? If Suh or Austin leaves, they definitely won't have next years #1 ranked D. Even if they come back, they probably won't play on the same level.

I'll say it now. Stafford is streaky as hell. If he gets hot in the playoffs.... We could win it all. But he is currently 0-16 against winning teams on the road and we need to win 4 straight on the road. If he can win in these playoffs, I'll be happy to shut my mouth. Defense wins championships but we need Stafford more than ever.

If the Lions fall behind that forces Stafford to start chucking the ball. Two things happen, his stats get better and the Lions loose more games. I like every other Lion fan expected to see the Lions run the Saints offense after they hired Lombardi and drafted Ebron. We were all wrong!

The Lions are running the ball control Baltimore Ravens Offense that Caldwell ran when he was in Baltimore. Like it or not Caldwell wants Detroit to run the ball. And yet with the O-Line having problems...be it scheme or personnel... and Bush and Bell averaging =under 4 yards a rush I scratch my head why the Lions don't open up the offense more, instead of waiting until they fall behind!

Is it any wonder when Stafford has played his best has been when they are playing from behind? Miami last drive! Atlanta second half! Chicago on Thanksgiving second half! It's because the Lions are utilizing Staffords strengths.

The 0-16 stat is just that a stat. Why does it fall on Stafford and not the team? That #1 defense has a losing record this year on the road to teams with a winning record. This is the first season since the 1990's that the Lions have talent on both sides of the ball. How many of those losses were with teams that didn't have much talent?

I get Stafford has not been as sharp as we have seen him but he is being asked to be a game manager not a gunslinger. I will make that trade to see the Lions win. If not we might as well have Jay Cutler as our QB.

The offenses game plan is very boring and I think thats what Caldwell wants. It would be nice to have the Broncos offense with Detroit's defense but they have what they have. If Suh and Austin leave...and I think Suh does and Austin does not...they replace them and change where needed. But my guess is Caldwell builds the running game.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offenses game plan is very boring and I think thats what Caldwell wants. It would be nice to have the Broncos offense with Detroit's defense but they have what they have. If Suh and Austin leave...and I think Suh does and Austin does not...they replace them and change where needed. But my guess is Caldwell builds the running game.

Yeah, it is rather shocking. How can you have arguably one of the greatest WR to ever play and a QB with a top 3 arm in the NFL and decide to run the ball all game. Not sure if this is all Caldwell or Lombardi but that shit isn't going to fly in the playoffs. It's not like you are playing bottom feeder teams like TB or ATL or Minny. It certainly didn't fly if and when we have to go into GB to get to the super bowl. This is the same problem Schwartz got into, he got extremely conservative vs top teams.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it is rather shocking. How can you have arguably one of the greatest WR to ever play and a QB with a top 3 arm in the NFL and decide to run the ball all game. Not sure if this is all Caldwell or Lombardi but that shit isn't going to fly in the playoffs. It's not like you are playing bottom feeder teams like TB or ATL or Minny. It certainly didn't fly if and when we have to go into GB to get to the super bowl. This is the same problem Schwartz got into, he got extremely conservative vs top teams.

I think Caldwell is just conservative by nature.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol::10: He has to be because his race says so........:hope:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which race? Boston Marathon?:noidea:

I'll try and do the math......Caldwell = Republican = Boston Marathon = Tea Party.........Some how I made that work.......:lol:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So way .................................................................................................................over here?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So way .................................................................................................................over here?

A little right of that.