• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford's Turnovers Way Down

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought staff took a huge step learning from his mistakes from last year. We all know the dude has a cannon and can put up huge numbers. He was cutleresque last year though and this year he improved drastically. He puts it all together next year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure I would say Caldwell is conservative, I just think he leans on the run game too often. But I have a theory as to why: From what I gathered, I toughht a lot of the runs were called to set up playaction passes down the field. They spent a lot of time trying to suck those LBs in and those safeties down. I just thought we should have passed more on first down throughout the season.

As far as Stafford goes, he's fine. I dont see anything way different from how all of the other good qbs started their careers. With Stafford, you have to consider different things to get a solid evaluation of him. The 0-16 stuff is a bunch of crap if you ask me because its not fair to place all the blame on him for that stuff.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure I would say Caldwell is conservative, I just think he leans on the run game too often.

If he isn't then Lombardi learned nothing during his time at NO. What happened to our offense this year is exactly what Caldwell's history has been. He took a good offense in Baltimore and made it bad under him. He's gone and the Ravens offense has dramatically improved and is dangerous again.

We have him and his selected OC and our offense went from explosive and dangerous to one of the worst scoring offenses in the league. The common denominator in Caldwell.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the Ravens offense put up franchise record numbers for yardage and points per game this season under Kubiak. That is after losing Rice for the season, which may have been addition by subtraction though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp, Stafford ended up finishing top-10 in passing yards, almost a 2-1 TD to INT ratio, and his highest completion percentage since 2011.

Definitely a big step in the right direction, imo...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can run the ball a lot, yet not be conservative just like Dallas and a few other teams. My guess is that Caldwell and Lombardi wanted to run more to take the load off of Stafford which makes sense. The issue was that the oline was poor this year and it was probably just as unexpected to them as it was to us.

One way to keep Staffords turnovers down and high risk passing is to run more. Although they didnt get the huge numbers, i think they did accomplish what they wanted from the QB position. I have to believe that if CJ doesnt miss time and the TEs were healthy, Stafford's tds would be around 30.

While Bell is good, he aint the type that can do what these guys like to do. Bush is only as good as his health allows him to be. I think the Lions go after a RB and oline help this offseason.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lions must find a starting CB in free agency, and an OG and RT would be good.

They must replace two DTs in either re-signing Suh/Fairley or FA.

After that, they can take luxury picks like RB, WR, LB, DE.

If they can get that done I like the team heading into next year.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp, Stafford ended up finishing top-10 in passing yards, almost a 2-1 TD to INT ratio, and his highest completion percentage since 2011.

Definitely a big step in the right direction, imo...

He finished exactly 10th in yards. Completion percentage of 61.1% was 21st among those QBs who played 12 games or more. Passer rating of 85.4 ranked 19th among QBs with 12 games or more. Improved on the TD/INT ratio, and that's good. But he still has a LOOOOOOOONG way to go to justify his hefty salary.

The missed games for Calvin and the TEs played a part. And the fact that the Lions haven't really had a strong running game during any of Matt's years as a starter is another issue.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lions must find a starting CB in free agency, and an OG and RT would be good.

They must replace two DTs in either re-signing Suh/Fairley or FA.

After that, they can take luxury picks like RB, WR, LB, DE.

If they can get that done I like the team heading into next year.

I know Mathis is getting up there, but he's showing no signs of slowing down. He damn near caused a turnover on Dallas' first offensive play by absolutely blasting Momma Slapper and making him fumble the ball.

I'd draft another CB in the 1st three rounds and kind of tab him as a future starter, pretty much like they did with Travis Swanson this season...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He finished exactly 10th in yards. Completion percentage of 61.1% was 21st among those QBs who played 12 games or more. Passer rating of 85.4 ranked 19th among QBs with 12 games or more. Improved on the TD/INT ratio, and that's good. But he still has a LOOOOOOOONG way to go to justify his hefty salary.

The missed games for Calvin and the TEs played a part. And the fact that the Lions haven't really had a strong running game during any of Matt's years as a starter is another issue.

I think it's high time to start realizing that Stafford's deal is just what starting QBs are getting paid these days. When guys like Andy Dalton, Jay Cutler, and Colin Kaepernick are making as much, or more, than Stafford, it really puts his salary into perspective, imo...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, if you have a decent starting QB, he's going to make at least $15 million a season if he's not on his rookie deal still...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's high time to start realizing that Stafford's deal is just what starting QBs are getting paid these days. When guys like Andy Dalton, Jay Cutler, and Colin Kaepernick are making as much, or more, than Stafford, it really puts his salary into perspective, imo...

Gotta agree here. We have to remember that he was still part of those outrageous rookie contracts. And yes, he did restructure but was he gonna restructure for less?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, great avatar. That's how Suh should start tackling Aaron Rodgers!

Last edited by a moderator:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure I would say Caldwell is conservative, I just think he leans on the run game too often. But I have a theory as to why: From what I gathered, I toughht a lot of the runs were called to set up playaction passes down the field. They spent a lot of time trying to suck those LBs in and those safeties down. I just thought we should have passed more on first down throughout the season.

As far as Stafford goes, he's fine. I dont see anything way different from how all of the other good qbs started their careers. With Stafford, you have to consider different things to get a solid evaluation of him. The 0-16 stuff is a bunch of crap if you ask me because its not fair to place all the blame on him for that stuff.

0-17 now. Just saying.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0-17 now. Just saying.

Adding that last loss to Staffords tally kind of proves Lionstops point. I think Stafford is a middle of the road QB, but he is also 26 and has a sky high ceiling still. He could still play another 13 years and who knows where he ends up when it is all over.

He has a far better attitude than the people they compare him too (Cutler and George) I think he improves a lot over the next few years. It was not that long ago that people had been giving up on Stafford because he was injury prone and would never play a full season.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he's going to get the nod- Rivers declined and Wilson will be playing in the Super Bowl next week if he can put together a TD drive right meow.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: