• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training News & Notes

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This surprises me:

Carlos Gonzalez unlikely to make Mariners roster
Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors
By Darragh McDonald | Last updated 3/12/20

Outfielder Carlos Gonzalez is not expected to make the Opening Day roster of the Mariners, according to Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times. Following up on that, MLBTR’s Steve Adams tweets that Gonzalez has an April 1 opt-out in his minor-league deal with Seattle. He can also request his release on the first of the month each month up through August if not on the MLB roster.

The 34-year-old Gonzalez has produced middling numbers this spring, with a slash of .273/.360/.318 across 25 plate appearances. And though that’s an improvement over the .200/.289/.283 line he put up at the MLB level in 2019, it appears that won’t be enough to get him back into the big leagues. Divish spoke to some scouts who commented on his slow bat speed and struggles with velocity. Divish adds that Gonzalez wasn’t viewed as likely to make the club even at the time he signed his deal, calling it more of a “courtesy” audition for a veteran player.

The Mariners seem to have narrowed their outfield competition down to younger players that they want to get long looks at, with Jake Fraley being the favorite to play regularly in right field, alongside center fielder Mallex Smith and left fielder Kyle Lewis. Divish also notes that the utility/bench duties are likely going to other younger players, such as Tim Lopes and Patrick Wisdom. Dylan Moore and Sam Haggerty were also seemingly getting more consideration than the veteran Gonzalez before befalling to injuries.

Gonzalez, a three-time All-Star, had a terrific run of success with Colorado from from 2009 to 2016, producing a wRC+ above 100 in each of those seasons except for the injury-shortened campaign of 2014. However, he hasn’t been able to get back above the 100 line since.

Gonzalez now seems likely to return to the open market, given the opt-out provisions in his deal and his apparently minimal chances of making the roster in Seattle. He could theoretically decide to stay with the Mariners organization in order to get some playing time down on the farm and further showcase himself for other clubs. But given the organization’s preference to use the 2020 season to look at young talent, Gonzalez may lean toward trying to find a better path back to the show.
Interesting... Little surprised, not mad at it but I also don't mind having a veteran out there to give these guys a buffer if they start struggling. He would have been a guy they can learn from and take some pressure off of them. It looks like they want to see these young guys play and play everyday. They are going to get big sample sizes from these guys quickly, which I am totally on board with. The question is what happens when/if one, two or even three of these guys start to drown

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting... Little surprised, not mad at it but I also don't mind having a veteran out there to give these guys a buffer if they start struggling. He would have been a guy they can learn from and take some pressure off of them. It looks like they want to see these young guys play and play everyday. They are going to get big sample sizes from these guys quickly, which I am totally on board with. The question is what happens when/if one, two or even three of these guys start to drown

I am with you completely. An OF vet would help at least until/If Haniger comes back. Pretty surprising to me, but oh so Mariners.

The other part that surprised me is that they waived Siri, who was claimed, who is young and they are rebuilding so why cut him if you had a spot open if you plan on cutting Cargo.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you completely. An OF vet would help at least until/If Haniger comes back. Pretty surprising to me, but oh so Mariners.

The other part that surprised me is that they waived Siri, who was claimed, who is young and they are rebuilding so why cut him if you had a spot open if you plan on cutting Cargo.
Exactly, my first impression of cutting Siri was to give Cargo the spot. Now I wish they would have kept Siri because I think he brings a little more potential than some of the guys they are talking about keeping. As a 4th outfielder he would have fit well on the roster, especially given what they say they are trying to do. We will see how it shakes out and when the season will actually begin.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This surprises me:

Carlos Gonzalez unlikely to make Mariners roster
Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors
By Darragh McDonald | Last updated 3/12/20

Outfielder Carlos Gonzalez is not expected to make the Opening Day roster of the Mariners, according to Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times. Following up on that, MLBTR’s Steve Adams tweets that Gonzalez has an April 1 opt-out in his minor-league deal with Seattle. He can also request his release on the first of the month each month up through August if not on the MLB roster.

The 34-year-old Gonzalez has produced middling numbers this spring, with a slash of .273/.360/.318 across 25 plate appearances. And though that’s an improvement over the .200/.289/.283 line he put up at the MLB level in 2019, it appears that won’t be enough to get him back into the big leagues. Divish spoke to some scouts who commented on his slow bat speed and struggles with velocity. Divish adds that Gonzalez wasn’t viewed as likely to make the club even at the time he signed his deal, calling it more of a “courtesy” audition for a veteran player.

The Mariners seem to have narrowed their outfield competition down to younger players that they want to get long looks at, with Jake Fraley being the favorite to play regularly in right field, alongside center fielder Mallex Smith and left fielder Kyle Lewis. Divish also notes that the utility/bench duties are likely going to other younger players, such as Tim Lopes and Patrick Wisdom. Dylan Moore and Sam Haggerty were also seemingly getting more consideration than the veteran Gonzalez before befalling to injuries.

Gonzalez, a three-time All-Star, had a terrific run of success with Colorado from from 2009 to 2016, producing a wRC+ above 100 in each of those seasons except for the injury-shortened campaign of 2014. However, he hasn’t been able to get back above the 100 line since.

Gonzalez now seems likely to return to the open market, given the opt-out provisions in his deal and his apparently minimal chances of making the roster in Seattle. He could theoretically decide to stay with the Mariners organization in order to get some playing time down on the farm and further showcase himself for other clubs. But given the organization’s preference to use the 2020 season to look at young talent, Gonzalez may lean toward trying to find a better path back to the show.

Wow!

Well I guess I can brag that I was 3/4 correct on the roster for the outfield minus Cargo of course, ( Saw Jerry saving this guy as a trade piece come the deadline)

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you completely. An OF vet would help at least until/If Haniger comes back.

That's if he comes back!

Here they go again putting all their eggs in one basket on a vet that can't stay healthy enough to be on the field, plus you factor in he just completed a second round of surgery's that god knows when he'll be back from those.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem going all in on the kids, that was the plan.
But if they start to sputter or hit a slump they better not freak out and send the kid down.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's if he comes back!

Here they go again putting all their eggs in one basket on a vet that can't stay healthy enough to be on the field, plus you factor in he just completed a second round of surgery's that god knows when he'll be back from those.
If I were the M's I would be viewing the season as if Haniger isn't going to be back. Plan for the worst. The biggest negative in my view regarding Haniger is his trade value is completely gone at this point.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the M's I would be viewing the season as if Haniger isn't going to be back. Plan for the worst. The biggest negative in my view regarding Haniger is his trade value is completely gone at this point.

That's what I was saying.... They are really taken a very large risk here...
I mean the injuries this guy has had plus the surgeries? Its a big gamble...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shocks me but seems so Mariners unless there is something more to it:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I thought he had value to the M's in late innings. Maybe he just couldn't get healthy enough to compete for a spot.

Maybe but what was the rush? Let him rehab if needed that deal him for a 'B' prospect at least. Just so Mariners.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but what was the rush? Let him rehab if needed that deal him for a 'B' prospect at least. Just so Mariners.
yeah i agree. especially now with the season not likely to happen soon. Like you said whats the rush, it really feels like an unnecessary move at this point. I think he is a good bullpen piece. It really is "just so mariners".

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't feel like looking it up but wasn’t he a big part of some deal Jerry made?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't feel like looking it up but wasn’t he a big part of some deal Jerry made?

The Mariners have acquired right-handed reliever Sam Tuivailala from the Cardinals in exchange for minor league right-hander Seth Elledge, the teams announced Friday. Elledge has been assigned to Double-A Springfield.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have acquired right-handed reliever Sam Tuivailala from the Cardinals in exchange for minor league right-hander Seth Elledge, the teams announced Friday. Elledge has been assigned to Double-A Springfield.

Hmm, he wasn’t part of the Marco deal? I swore he was a priority piece of a trade that Jerry talked up like he was the second coming. My bad.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, he wasn’t part of the Marco deal? I swore he was a priority piece of a trade that Jerry talked up like he was the second coming. My bad.

I thought he was part of a bigger trade as well and that is why I looked it up. Still worth keeping for trade bait but DIPoto don't play that game. He likes to trade for them and then release them.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he was a "priority add" for bullpen depth which is the only type of moves we were willing to make. I think he pitched for like a week and then got hurt

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you boys want, I have been bin watching the Soprano's since we have no sports....

I could sneak into the club house and "take Jerry out" maybe send him a little message???? :noidea: