• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2021

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is in camp and has appeared in at least one game but I vaguely remember it was at an odd position (like 1st base). Maybe he's being primed to do super utility work.

As for shortstop next year, I get that the Giants will be rolling in the dough with all the guys coming off the books, but with shortstop being a strength of the farm system, why not use those funds on some area that doesn't have a long term guy coming up? Depending on how he does this year, I'd like to see Crawford signed to a 2 (maybe 3) year deal to keep the seat warm for Luciano (or whoever ends up being the top shortstop, should Luciano get moved to 3rd base).
What position should the Giants buy?

1B? I always like 1B being a kind of overflow position and thing paying big money for a non-ELITE player there is kinda stupid.

2B? This can be overflow for Wilson or Luciano, so I don’t see the need. Though I am good with this if the player exists.

3B? I strongly think this is Luciano’s long term position, so I would rather get him started here sooner rather than later.

OF? Big organizational strength atm, so I am not a huge fan of bringing in ANOTHER body here.

SP? Does this even exist in the game anymore?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll preface this by saying I only actually believe two of these five playing next year at all (Bart and Ramos). It would be a dream come true if all five could.
I was talking about 2023, not 2022...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What year is it???! (but really I have no concept of time right now)
Are you not expecting a minor league season this year? I know that the AAA season got pushed back to a similar start time as the rest of the minor leagues but they all seem to be considered a go so far (knowing that could change). What you've written seems to be suggest you don't expect minor leaguers to play this year again. But maybe I'm just reading your stuff incorrectly.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1B? I always like 1B being a kind of overflow position and thing paying big money for a non-ELITE player there is kinda stupid.

2B? This can be overflow for Wilson or Luciano, so I don’t see the need. Though I am good with this if the player exists.

3B? I strongly think this is Luciano’s long term position, so I would rather get him started here sooner rather than later.

OF? Big organizational strength atm, so I am not a huge fan of bringing in ANOTHER body here.

SS and 3B will be pretty loaded next year, with possibly up to 5 guys at short (Baez, Correa, Lindor, Seager, Story) and up to two at 3rd (Bryant and Arenado, if he opts-out). I think you just need to pay for talent at any position you can find, and let the young dudes adapt. The thing is, free agency has been mostly a crap shoot for like 3-4 years now. Teams are rarely letting good players get to free agency who aren't seriously flawed in some way. I'll be curious if the new CBA has effects on this.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you not expecting a minor league season this year? I know that the AAA season got pushed back to a similar start time as the rest of the minor leagues but they all seem to be considered a go so far (knowing that could change). What you've written seems to be suggest you don't expect minor leaguers to play this year again. But maybe I'm just reading your stuff incorrectly.

I think there is a very high chance there will be at least some minor league games this year and don't mean to imply otherwise.

edit: I'm referring in my previous posts to playing/not playing at the major league level, not the minors. I fully expect all 5 of these guys to get as many minor league AB's as possible this year and that there will be a MiLB season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good question. You forgot to ask about catcher or designated hitter. :D
1st base has become more of a fill in with whomever on the team cannot play another position, which I don't like. Besides the Giants have drafted a number of potential long term pieces (Logan Wyatt, Connor Cannon, Garrett Frechette), so filling it with Posey seems like a better move, both short and long term.
2nd base is a possibility but LaStella may have something to say about that. Solano will be a free agent and Flores could be as well, if his option isn't picked up The Giants may left both go and use LaStella as a super utility type.
3rd base may depend on who they pick up. Maybe this player would be willing to move to 1st base (or DH) in the coming seasons, providing room for Luciano when he is ready.
Outfield does seem like a possibility. If Dubon doesn't hit well enough to continue starting, or all of Yastrzemski, Dickerson, Slater, Ruf, Davis, McCarthy, Wade and what other outfielders do poorly, then a corner guy would be a possible pickup.
Starting pitcher still seems to be a thing. The Giants just signed a bunch of reclamation projects who traditionally have started and should still be starting (if healthy) this year. The Giants don't seem to be as bullish as the Rays (and a couple of other teams) about the opener but that could change. However, teams still throw big money at big names and this could well be one of the biggest holes to fill in 2022. Logan Webb, Caleb Baragar and Connor Menez seem to be the only home grown guys ready now (or sometime this season). I hope Sean Hjelle starts this season at AAA but we'll see if he's ready to start 2022 with SF. Seth Corry, Gregory Santos and Keaton Winn seem to be possibilities for 2023 but if the Giants want to build at least a semi-traditional rotation, they will need a number 1 and number 2 guy. Both will cost a lot of money.
My caveat with all these positions, is that I've not thoroughly researched who could be on the market next offseason so some of these ideas could prove to not be worth paying money.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SS and 3B will be pretty loaded next year, with possibly up to 5 guys at short (Baez, Correa, Lindor, Seager, Story) and up to two at 3rd (Bryant and Arenado, if he opts-out). I think you just need to pay for talent at any position you can find, and let the young dudes adapt. The thing is, free agency has been mostly a crap shoot for like 3-4 years now. Teams are rarely letting good players get to free agency who aren't seriously flawed in some way. I'll be curious if the new CBA has effects on this.
All this reminds me, all of this hypothetical goes out the window if a work stoppage puts the kibosh on the offseason and/or start of 2022.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this reminds me, all of this hypothetical goes out the window if a work stoppage puts the kibosh on the offseason and/or start of 2022.

And as of right now, that's looking like a distinct possibility.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question. You forgot to ask about catcher or designated hitter. :D
1st base has become more of a fill in with whomever on the team cannot play another position, which I don't like. Besides the Giants have drafted a number of potential long term pieces (Logan Wyatt, Connor Cannon, Garrett Frechette), so filling it with Posey seems like a better move, both short and long term.
2nd base is a possibility but LaStella may have something to say about that. Solano will be a free agent and Flores could be as well, if his option isn't picked up The Giants may left both go and use LaStella as a super utility type.
3rd base may depend on who they pick up. Maybe this player would be willing to move to 1st base (or DH) in the coming seasons, providing room for Luciano when he is ready.
Outfield does seem like a possibility. If Dubon doesn't hit well enough to continue starting, or all of Yastrzemski, Dickerson, Slater, Ruf, Davis, McCarthy, Wade and what other outfielders do poorly, then a corner guy would be a possible pickup.
Starting pitcher still seems to be a thing. The Giants just signed a bunch of reclamation projects who traditionally have started and should still be starting (if healthy) this year. The Giants don't seem to be as bullish as the Rays (and a couple of other teams) about the opener but that could change. However, teams still throw big money at big names and this could well be one of the biggest holes to fill in 2022. Logan Webb, Caleb Baragar and Connor Menez seem to be the only home grown guys ready now (or sometime this season). I hope Sean Hjelle starts this season at AAA but we'll see if he's ready to start 2022 with SF. Seth Corry, Gregory Santos and Keaton Winn seem to be possibilities for 2023 but if the Giants want to build at least a semi-traditional rotation, they will need a number 1 and number 2 guy. Both will cost a lot of money.
My caveat with all these positions, is that I've not thoroughly researched who could be on the market next offseason so some of these ideas could prove to not be worth paying money.

Correy's step back three is a thing of beauty.

• Haha
Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok.

Duggar feeding on rookie/spring training pitching doesn't mean anything to me.

I.E. I'm not sold on Duggar.

While yes, Spring training numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt, Duggar has homered off of two major league pitchers. Today was Adrian Houser, who only has 25 1/3 IP, but a 1.78 ERA in those inning. More impressively, he homered off of Sean Doolittle, a veteran lefty.

Does this mean anything? Not really, but better than off some rando. Still I'm not sold on his either, his 135 major league games have been very unconvincing so far.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While yes, Spring training numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt, Duggar has homered off of two major league pitchers. Today was Adrian Houser, who only has 25 1/3 IP, but a 1.78 ERA in those inning. More impressively, he homered off of Sean Doolittle, a veteran lefty.

Does this mean anything? Not really, but better than off some rando. Still I'm not sold on his either, his 135 major league games have been very unconvincing so far.
Assuming both Belt and Longoria start the season on the IL (a possibility, but not necessarily a given), it still seems difficult for Duggar to make the roster. I assume that the Giants will carry 13 position players. Casali and Posey will take two of those spots for catcher (I doubt a 3rd catcher will be carried). Crawford, Flores, LaStella and Solano are all locks to make the roster. Dickerson, Dubon and Yastrzemski should be the primary outfielders. That leaves 4 spots left. Ruf seems close to a lock to make the squad as well. I assume Vosler has the inside track on being the primary infield bench position but will be challenged by Alcantara and, possibly, Krizan. I would guess that Slater will be the primary 4th outfielder. That final spot comes down to Basabe, Davis (if he can get healthy), Duggar, McCarthy and Wade.
I think that if both Belt and Longoria aren't ready, and the Giants move Dubon to infield duty, if Duggar can stay hot, he may break camp as the primary center fielder. Of course, FZ could pull an FZ and pick up some guy at the end of camp and insert him as the starting center fielder.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming both Belt and Longoria start the season on the IL (a possibility, but not necessarily a given), it still seems difficult for Duggar to make the roster. I assume that the Giants will carry 13 position players. Casali and Posey will take two of those spots for catcher (I doubt a 3rd catcher will be carried). Crawford, Flores, LaStella and Solano are all locks to make the roster. Dickerson, Dubon and Yastrzemski should be the primary outfielders. That leaves 4 spots left. Ruf seems close to a lock to make the squad as well. I assume Vosler has the inside track on being the primary infield bench position but will be challenged by Alcantara and, possibly, Krizan. I would guess that Slater will be the primary 4th outfielder. That final spot comes down to Basabe, Davis (if he can get healthy), Duggar, McCarthy and Wade.
I think that if both Belt and Longoria aren't ready, and the Giants move Dubon to infield duty, if Duggar can stay hot, he may break camp as the primary center fielder. Of course, FZ could pull an FZ and pick up some guy at the end of camp and insert him as the starting center fielder.

It's odd because on one hand Duggar is the only true CFer, and by far the best defensive outfielder, on the 40-man roster (and frankly the entire upper level of the minors) so you think he would have a shot, but I agree I just don't see it working out.

I see guys like Vosler (who's been playing some 2nd base) and Wade (who's been playing 1st base) at positions they're not normally at, and I think that's a early indication on what the Giants' plans are. Meaning those two probably have a better chance if they can prove their versatility, particularly if Belt and Longo go down. If LaStella and Flores are filling in at 1st and 3rd for Belt and Longo, then Vosler and Wade are providing depth behind those guys.

• Winner
Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's odd because on one hand Duggar is the only true CFer, and by far the best defensive outfielder, on the 40-man roster (and frankly the entire upper level of the minors) so you think he would have a shot, but I agree I just don't see it working out.

I see guys like Vosler (who's been playing some 2nd base) and Wade (who's been playing 1st base) at positions they're not normally at, and I think that's a early indication on what the Giants' plans are. Meaning those two probably have a better chance if they can prove their versatility, particularly if Belt and Longo go down. If LaStella and Flores are filling in at 1st and 3rd for Belt and Longo, then Vosler and Wade are providing depth behind those guys.
Totally agree. And I just don't see the excitement the FO has over Wade. He seems to be a inferior hitter to Davis (whom they got just a year and a half before Wade, and from the same organization) and I haven't heard that he has a great glove. His only value seems to be his on base skills but, to me, his other areas show he's not that good.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From this article:
"The 31-year-old veteran was offered several Minor League contracts this offseason, but the Giants were the first club to extend a Major League deal, which ultimately sold Álvarez on coming to San Francisco." :L

Also, an update on Moronta:
"Reyes Moronta, who is coming off shoulder surgery, also threw live BP, though Kapler’s assessment was not as encouraging.
“Reyes still has some work to do,” he said. “Especially with the command. We want to see him be a little bit more in the strike zone with his secondary offering and then also with his heater.”: