• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2021

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing this SFGRTB. It was nice to listen to the game while working. Here is today's box score:

Offense was nonexistent until the 5th inning. Nice to hear McCarthy go deep. On the pitching side, perhaps the most impressive outing was Yunior Marte's inning. On 10 pitches, he retired Jose Abreu, Eloy Jimenez and Andrew Vaughn. Sounds like Luis Alexander Basabe made a nice running catch to end the 5th and get Yamaguchi out of trouble.
I just read that Jaylin Davis is dealing with knee soreness and hasn't played yet. Hope he get some games in and does well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think there is any chance he breaks camp. But I could see him potentially getting an early-ish call. He is just about ready

Agreed, and I think it would be wise to see what the Giants have in Wade, Duggar and Slater before making OF moves since Ramos would require a roster decision.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, and I think it would be wise to see what the Giants have in Wade, Duggar and Slater before making OF moves since Ramos would require a roster decision.
I'm not high on Wade. I'd much rather have Jaylin Davis getting another shot (not that he's gotten much of one yet). Slater seems close to being a known commodity and should be the 4th outfielder. Unfortunately, Duggar seems like won't hit in the big leagues. If he did a bit better offensively I'd be okay with him at the 4th or 5th guy but I think his ship has sailed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would also lock one lineup spot. He is an everyday player. We aren’t winning this year. Keep the studs in sacto, and use SF as the testing ground. When the gates open for fans again next year, we can have Bart, Ramos, Wilson, Bishop (maybe), Luciano (maybe) all coming up together to start the next Giants push.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would also lock one lineup spot. He is an everyday player. We aren’t winning this year. Keep the studs in sacto, and use SF as the testing ground. When the gates open for fans again next year, we can have Bart, Ramos, Wilson, Bishop (maybe), Luciano (maybe) all coming up together to start the next Giants push.

My god how amazing would it be if all 5 of those guys not only proved they were ready but had success at the ML level by then. Holy smokes (not counting on it, just dreaming).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not high on Wade. I'd much rather have Jaylin Davis getting another shot (not that he's gotten much of one yet). Slater seems close to being a known commodity and should be the 4th outfielder. Unfortunately, Duggar seems like won't hit in the big leagues. If he did a bit better offensively I'd be okay with him at the 4th or 5th guy but I think his ship has sailed.

If the Giants weren't in a crunch, or had a DH, I would like to see Wade and Davis form a platoon. There's just too many guys ahead of Davis, though. Ruf, Slater, Dubon are all blocking him at the moment. It's just tough to see how he fits in. I want to see him get a shot too, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god how amazing would it be if all 5 of those guys not only proved they were ready but had success at the ML level by then. Holy smokes (not counting on it, just dreaming).
I think it is safe to expect Ramos and Bart to be on the opening day roster next year. I would think Wilson was there as well, but I haven’t heard his name all spring. Is he even in camp? Is he hurt?

Bishop is a huge question mark, though. He gets rave reviews and great write ups, but we didn’t see him last year, so I have nothing to go one except the fact that “those in the know” rate him high. I know he is a bopper who projects to a corner outfielder (I believe he has the arm for right, but the range for left). But outside of that, I know nothing. Declaring him ready by next year was based on nothing outside of him being in the system long enough now that he belongs in those conversations.

Luciano probably, realistically, needs another year-ish past this year. Kid looks great, but he is still raw. And he is a kid. Give him time.

Opening day lineup in ‘23??

C - Bart / Posey
1B - Posey / Bart
2B - Dubon (?? probably Wilson)
SS - Wilson (probably a BIG NAME free agent)
3B - Luciano (he may start his career at SS, but I think Wilson is the better defensive prospect there)
RF - Ramos
CF - Wade (probably Dubon or a free agent)
LF - Bishop

Obviously this won’t be it, but I don’t think there are a lot big reaches here. We need something in CF (Dubon is a great super util, but I don’t know that he is an every day outfielder long term), and the SS market will be a prime target for the org next year, which will dictate where Luciano and Wilson end up playing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of next year’s SS market, who do we want? Correa? Seager? Story? All will demand big money. Story will probably be the easiest get since his CURRENT current team is completely out of the running (though he will probably be traded before the end of the year). I seem to remember reading that Houston has little chance of retaining Correa as well, so maybe he will be “easier” to get as well. I have a hard time thinking the doggies will let Seager walk.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is safe to expect Ramos and Bart to be on the opening day roster next year. I would think Wilson was there as well, but I haven’t heard his name all spring. Is he even in camp? Is he hurt?

Bishop is a huge question mark, though. He gets rave reviews and great write ups, but we didn’t see him last year, so I have nothing to go one except the fact that “those in the know” rate him high. I know he is a bopper who projects to a corner outfielder (I believe he has the arm for right, but the range for left). But outside of that, I know nothing. Declaring him ready by next year was based on nothing outside of him being in the system long enough now that he belongs in those conversations.

Luciano probably, realistically, needs another year-ish past this year. Kid looks great, but he is still raw. And he is a kid. Give him time.

C - Bart / Posey
1B - Posey / Bart
3B - Luciano (he may start his career at SS, but I think Wilson is the better defensive prospect there)
RF - Ramos
LF - Bishop

Obviously this won’t be it, but I don’t think there are a lot big reaches here. We need something in CF (Dubon is a great super util, but I don’t know that he is an every day outfielder long term), and the SS market will be a prime target for the org next year, which will dictate where Luciano and Wilson end up playing.
Wilson is in camp and has appeared in at least one game but I vaguely remember it was at an odd position (like 1st base). Maybe he's being primed to do super utility work.

As for shortstop next year, I get that the Giants will be rolling in the dough with all the guys coming off the books, but with shortstop being a strength of the farm system, why not use those funds on some area that doesn't have a long term guy coming up? Depending on how he does this year, I'd like to see Crawford signed to a 2 (maybe 3) year deal to keep the seat warm for Luciano (or whoever ends up being the top shortstop, should Luciano get moved to 3rd base).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C - Bart / Posey
1B - Posey / Bart
RF - Ramos
LF - Bishop

I'll preface this by saying I only actually believe two of these five playing next year at all (Bart and Ramos). It would be a dream come true if all five could.

I've seen Wilson pop up a few times in the box scores and heard his name on the gamecasts/radio so he's around. Remember, though, as a pro he's only played in rookie ball. He was at the alternate site and the Giants obviously think highly of him, and he's a college guy so they typically move faster, but still he has only 204 plate appearances, all in rookie ball.

Bishop you have backwards, he has the athleticism for Oracle Park RF (for now), but a noodle arm. His value will be with his bat wherever he ends up, though. A reputable source (I think it was Fangraphs) threw out an Adam Dunn comp, with passable defense. That intrigued me. But it basically speaks to his profile, the dude is massive and has the power in his bat, but he's an extremely high risk since his value will be tied to if he is consistently able to put the bat to the ball. His development time will be tied to whether he's able to identify the holes in his swing and shore them up as much as possible. If so, he could be fast, if not it will be a longer road. Defensively you don't really care since he's not going to be a CFer.

Luciano would be on the Juan Soto/Ronald Acuna/Fernando Tatis track if he played next year, which would obviously mean great things. Realistically, he's 2024, but 2022 would mean A LOT went right and we'd have many reasons to be extremely excited about the kid. If he's here by then, it would be at SS. There's just no way he would not only be ready with the bat, but also learn a whole new position in just one year.