• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2021

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. And I just don't see the excitement the FO has over Wade. He seems to be a inferior hitter to Davis (whom they got just a year and a half before Wade, and from the same organization) and I haven't heard that he has a great glove. His only value seems to be his on base skills but, to me, his other areas show he's not that good.

I'm guessing they think it's easier to fix a guys swing an unlock untapped power/ability (or have seen something on video that they believe they can enhance) than to try to teach them a new approach to improve their on base skills.

That being said, Davis has shown that ability in the past too (not a complete hacker), but he's seemingly not getting the same shot. IDK, too much goes on behind the scenes for us to really know.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While yes, Spring training numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt, Duggar has homered off of two major league pitchers. Today was Adrian Houser, who only has 25 1/3 IP, but a 1.78 ERA in those inning. More impressively, he homered off of Sean Doolittle, a veteran lefty.

Does this mean anything? Not really, but better than off some rando. Still I'm not sold on his either, his 135 major league games have been very unconvincing so far.

And I got excited Ramos, who has 3 now, but agreed it is still pretty early into Spring training.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's odd because on one hand Duggar is the only true CFer, and by far the best defensive outfielder, on the 40-man roster (and frankly the entire upper level of the minors) so you think he would have a shot, but I agree I just don't see it working out.

I see guys like Vosler (who's been playing some 2nd base) and Wade (who's been playing 1st base) at positions they're not normally at, and I think that's a early indication on what the Giants' plans are. Meaning those two probably have a better chance if they can prove their versatility, particularly if Belt and Longo go down. If LaStella and Flores are filling in at 1st and 3rd for Belt and Longo, then Vosler and Wade are providing depth behind those guys.
Some of the statements on this article almost tip management's hand on their view of Duggar:

“It’s been a tale of two camps for Duggar,” Giants manager Gabe Kapler said. “On the one hand, more recently, he’s been having fantastic at-bats. Obviously, he’s gone deep a couple of times. We also see opportunities for him to be more aggressive on the bases. We see opportunities for him to get more aggressive in getting bunts down. And those are things we’re talking to him about.”

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What position should the Giants buy?

1B? I always like 1B being a kind of overflow position and thing paying big money for a non-ELITE player there is kinda stupid.

2B? This can be overflow for Wilson or Luciano, so I don’t see the need. Though I am good with this if the player exists.

3B? I strongly think this is Luciano’s long term position, so I would rather get him started here sooner rather than later.

OF? Big organizational strength atm, so I am not a huge fan of bringing in ANOTHER body here.

SP? Does this even exist in the game anymore?

Looking over this list, clearly the shortstops are the cream of this fairly weak free agent class. I have to assume that one of them will be in a Giants' uniform in 2022. I hope that the Giants keep 3rd base clear for Luciano.

By the way, Luciano seems pretty confident he'll be ready to play in the big leagues in 2022.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through 12 games, the Giants are 2nd in walks with 61, and 1st in Stolen Bases with 16.

They are 12th in runs and home runs, 8th in average, 2nd in OBP, and 11th in SLG.

On the pitching side, they are 22nd in ERA, and 6th in K's, 27th in walks, and 14th in Homeruns allowed.

And last in RISP. :D (Sorry, just made that up for your annoyance!) Actually, they are 21st in hitting with RISP at .217.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Through 12 games, the Giants are 2nd in walks with 61, and 1st in Stolen Bases with 16.

They are 12th in runs and home runs, 8th in average, 2nd in OBP, and 11th in SLG.

On the pitching side, they are 22nd in ERA, and 6th in K's, 27th in walks, and 14th in Homeruns allowed.

And last in RISP. :D (Sorry, just made that up for your annoyance!) Actually, they are 21st in hitting with RISP at .217.
What would a Stokes' post be without some RISPy humor?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To follow up on Stokes' spring training analysis, I spent some time today looking at the numbers for each player and where they've played so far in games. Some interesting developments have been occurring. While the half way marks for spring training games will be this coming Sunday, I thought I'd give a state of spring post. Here goes.
Catchers
This is probably the least exciting group, in terms of competitions and developments, but there are a few interesting things to note.
Buster Posey and Curt Casali, the two who are pretty much handed roster spots on the team, have played all their games (Posey - 6, Casali - 4) at catcher. They, and Chadwick Tromp, are the only ones to not have some at-bats at the DH spot. Patrick Bailey, however, has played more at DH than catcher (and made an appearance at 1st base as well, the only catcher to show up at another defensive position).
Joey Bart, however, is the offensive star of the group thus far, turning in a .455/.538/.727 slash in 11 at bats. And, more incredibly, he is tied for the team lead with 2 stolen bases!

Infielders
I mentioned interesting developments and some big ones seem to be occurring here. With Brandon Belt yet to play (he did take batting practice today), there have been a total of 7 players who've played at least one time at the position. Logan Wyatt has made the most appearances but obviously won't be breaking camp with the team. The player with the 2nd most appearances at 1st base? Darin Ruf. Seems he may be the guy who handles 1st the most until Belt is healthy enough to play. Wilmer Flores, Tommy LaStella and Jason Vosler have also played multiple games at 1st base.
We all know that Evan Longoria hasn't been able to play 3rd base yet, only making 4 games at DH so far. He's hitting well but, with no DH available this year, unless he is able to get some defensive games in at 3rd, it seems that Jason Vosler is getting most of the reps there, appearing in 7 games. Others playing 3rd? Flores (2) and Donovan Solano (2) are the only guys with multiple games thus far at 3rd, among those likely to make the team. Vosler's bat is certainly helping him out too. He's hitting .333/.360/.542 in 9 games total, with appearances also at 2nd base and leftfield.
Meanwhile, Mauricio Dubon seems to be not getting much of a look in center field so far. He's played more games at shortstop (3) then center (2) and has also played a game apiece at 3rd and 2nd base. And while his power seems absent (.375), he's a beast getting on base, with 3 hits and 7(!) walks in 16 plate appearances.
Will Wilson and Marco Luciano won't be making the team, but their playing time shows two very different stories. Both have been inserted into a lot of games so far. However, while Wilson has bounced around the infield (5 games at 3rd, 2 at 2nd and 2 at short), Luciano has been a one position player - shortstop. The only game he didn't appear at short was in a strictly pinch running appearance.
Another guy who probably won't make the team (he's got a .476 OPS right now) but has played all over is Arismendy Alcantara. He's also played multiple positions at 2nd, short and 3rd. He'll probably be the super utility at Sacramento.
And then there is Jason Krizan. He's played more outfield than infield in the minor leagues but he's been just about solely a 2nd baseman in spring. And he's hitting a .286/.412/.571 so he's getting some notice. He'll probably wind up as the starting 2nd baseman in Sacramento but if there are injuries in spring, he could be a surprise on the roster come April 1st.

Outfielders
Injuries seem to be an issue with this group. The Giants brought 14 guys in this group to camp but moved 3 of them (Ruf, Dubon and Krizan) mainly to the infield. Additionally, Alexander Canario is injured and, unsurprisingly, not made an appearance in any games. Luis Alexander Basabe, who's played all three outfield positions is now injured and will be out 6 to 8 weeks, assuring he doesn't make the team and may start the minor league season on the IL. What is a bit of a surprise is how little Austin Slater has appeared. Back on February 24th, Slater was declared fit to play the outfield. However, he's only been in 2 games, both as a pinch hitter. It would seem that he may not be as healthy as was thought and may be a risk to start the season on the IL.
That leaves 8 guys jockeying for 4 or 5 spots. Alex Dickerson and Mike Yastrzemski are assured spots, if healthy. However, neither have played in many games but I've not heard of any injury issues with either. This leaves center field up for grabs, with Dubon looking to be more of an infielder now. This battle looks to be mainly between Steven Duggar and LaMonte Wade, Jr. Based on offensive output, it should be Duggar. He's outhitting Wade by .582 in OPS (1.257 for Duggar versus .675 for Wade). However, comments by Gabe Kapler suggest that Duggar is no slam dunk to make the team. Even though he's tied (with Bart, among others) with a team lead of 2 stolen bases, Kapler's comments are that they want to see more from Duggar on the small ball side of things, such as more aggressive baserunning and bunting. Maybe Dubon gets inserted back into centerfield but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wade at the guy starting there on Opening Day (but it should be Duggar).
I think we all know about the offensive show that Heliot Ramos has put up (2nd best OPS, just behind Flores, on the team, with playing time spread among all three outfield positions and the DH). But what about Joe McCarthy? He's trying to make a case for another shot with the team. So far, he's posted a .900 OPS in 20 plate appearances, playing both outfield corners and a game at 1st. If Slater isn't ready and Ruf covers 1st, McCarthy may be the 5th outfielder to break camp. Jaylin Davis, one of my favorites, just recently started playing and hasn't looked good so far.

Starting Rotation
Thus far, 6 pitchers have started games for the Giants this spring but only 4 seem to be locks to be in the rotation (Johnny Cueto, Kevin Gausman, Anthony DeSclafani, Alex Wood). Aaron Sanchez has yet to make an appearance in a Cactus League game. At this point, its hard to envision him starting the season in the rotation. The main candidates to fill that spot? Logan Webb and Nick Tropeano. Both have made 2 starts for the Giants and have looked good so far, but Webb has looked the best. In his 2 starts, he's gone 3 innings, giving up only 1 baserunner and striking out 4. Tropeano (who also made a relief appearance) has given up a run on 4 hits and 3 walks (against 4 Ks) in 4 innings of work thus far. Conner Menez is the only other guy to start and he's not looked good in his 2 starts (2 hits and 4 walks, with no Ks, in 2 innings).

Bullpen
Oh boy, this is where it gets nuts. Let's start with who hasn't pitched in a Cactus League game yet - Rico Garcia, Jose Alvarez, Reyes Moronta and John Brebbia. We all know that Brebbia is out from TJ surgery and that Moronta is still recovering from his surgery as well. However, the early talk about Moronta was that he was healthy. But no games doesn't bode well for Opening Day. Garcia is an NRI, so scant information is not surprising. But what about Jose Alvarez? He was signed almost two weeks ago. Is he injured or are they taking their time to get him into game situations? I don't know.
So who is a lock to make the bullpen? Right now, I'd say only Jake McGee, Matt Wisler and, maybe, Jarlin Garcia are locks. I say maybe on Garcia because the front office seemed obsessed about picking up lefty relievers and Garcia's spring has been rough, and brief. He's only gotten into one game and got knocked around in 1 inning of work. Not sure if he's injured or on the outs.
Assuming Moronta and Alvarez won't be ready for the start of the season, and Garcia is, that means the Giants most likely have 20 pitchers competing for 5 spots. Wow! So how is it looking? It may be easier to start with who probably isn't going to make it. Tyler Cyr, an NRI, has only gotten one look and it was bad. I wouldn't be surprised, with all the NRIs possibly being shufftled over to Sacramento, that he becomes an organizational casualty. It doesn't seem fair, considering his minor league output, but he's not an FZ product and those guys he's inherited seem to get short shrift. Daniel Alvarez, Sam Wolff, Jay Jackson, Anthony Banda, Zack Littell and Sam Long, all NRIs, and thus already starting on an uphill battle, haven't shown much (outside of Long's first appearance of spring). Dedniel Nunez, the Rule 5 draftee, has been battered in his 4 appearances and is now injured. He's probably on his way back to the Yankees. Sam Selman and Wandy Peralta, two lefties on the 40 man who did well last year, but whom have fallen in the depth charts behind J Alvarez, McGee and J Garcia, have not looked good either and could be dfa'd to make room for NRIs.
So who does that leave in the competition for the 5 remaining spots? There are 11 pitchers, in my mind, with the best chances of making the team. Of these 11, 8 are NRIs, so room will need to be made on the 40 man roster. The best among the NRIs, so far, has been Silvino Bracho. He's been in 4 games, gone 4 innings and gave up only 2 hits, a walk and struck out 7 batters. Yunior Marte, a dark horse candidate (or, rather, a non-candidate) at the start of spring, has looked good as well (3 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk and 3 Ks). Trevor Gott has been impressive in the K department (7 in 3 innings) but has also gotten hit around a bit. James Sherfy has looked a bit better (8 Ks in 4 innings but 3 hits and 3 walks). Then there is Shun Yamaguchi and Scott Kazmir. Yamaguchi has yet to allow a run in 2 appearances but his first outing was very shaky, saved only by a spectacular catch by Basabe to keep him out of big trouble. Kazmir just made his first appearance and was generally good (1 inning, 2 Ks but 2 hits) but will need to show he can repeat his success and stay healthy. Dominic Leone is the least likely of the NRIs to make the team but is at least still in the running (3 innings, 5 hits, 1 walk, 4 Ks). Oh and a guy named Luis Gonzalez, a last minute invitee, has pitched okay enough to warrant a longer look but probably will soon be reassigned (whenever the Giants make that first wave of cuts).
I would guess 3 to 4 of the NRIs make the squad, which means 3 guys on the 40 man roster are competing for the final 1 to 2 roster spots. Of the 3, my man, Tyler Rogers, has the most big league experience. He's allowed 2 runs, on 4 hits and a walk, and only struck out 2 batters, in 4 innings of work, but he's been solid enough that he may make it in the last bullpen spot. Caleb Baragar, it has been said, wants to stretch out as a starter but has made only one appearance, in relief, so far. My guess, though, is that he will start in Sacramento. Camilo Doval has looked good, though, and may have a shot at a bullpen spot. He's struck out 4 in 3 innings of work, with just 1 hit and 2 walks given up.

Last edited:

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To follow up on Stokes' spring training analysis, I spent some time today looking at the numbers for each player and where they've played so far in games. Some interesting developments have been occurring. While the half way marks for spring training games will be this coming Sunday, I thought I'd give a state of spring post. Here goes.
Catchers
This is probably the least exciting group, in terms of competitions and developments, but there are a few interesting things to note.
Buster Posey and Curt Casali, the two who are pretty much handed roster spots on the team, have played all their games (Posey - 6, Casali - 4) at catcher. They, and Chadwick Tromp, are the only ones to not have some at-bats at the DH spot. Patrick Bailey, however, has played more at DH than catcher (and made an appearance at 1st base as well, the only catcher to show up at another defensive position).
Joey Bart, however, is the offensive star of the group thus far, turning in a .455/.538/.727 slash in 11 at bats. And, more incredibly, he is tied for the team lead with 2 stolen bases!

Infielders
I mentioned interesting developments and some big ones seem to be occurring here. With Brandon Belt yet to play (he did take batting practice today), there have been a total of 7 players who've played at least one time at the position. Logan Wyatt has made the most appearances but obviously won't be breaking camp with the team. The player with the 2nd most appearances at 1st base? Darin Ruf. Seems he may be the guy who handles 1st the most until Belt is healthy enough to play. Wilmer Flores, Tommy LaStella and Jason Vosler have also played multiple games at 1st base.
We all know that Evan Longoria hasn't been able to play 3rd base yet, only making 4 games at DH so far. He's hitting well but, with no DH available this year, unless he is able to get some defensive games in at 3rd, it seems that Jason Vosler is getting most of the reps there, appearing in 7 games. Others playing 3rd? Flores (2) and Donovan Solano (2) are the only guys with multiple games thus far at 3rd, among those likely to make the team. Vosler's bat is certainly helping him out too. He's hitting .333/.360/.542 in 9 games total, with appearances also at 2nd base and leftfield.
Meanwhile, Mauricio Dubon seems to be not getting much of a look in center field so far. He's played more games at shortstop (3) then center (2) and has also played a game apiece at 3rd and 2nd base. And while his power seems absent (.375), he's a beast getting on base, with 3 hits and 7(!) walks in 16 plate appearances.
Will Wilson and Marco Luciano won't be making the team, but their playing time shows two very different stories. Both have been inserted into a lot of games so far. However, while Wilson has bounced around the infield (5 games at 3rd, 2 at 2nd and 2 at short), Luciano has been a one position player - shortstop. The only game he didn't appear at short was in a strictly pinch running appearance.
Another guy who probably won't make the team (he's got a .476 OPS right now) but has played all over is Arismendy Alcantara. He's also played multiple positions at 2nd, short and 3rd. He'll probably be the super utility at Sacramento.
And then there is Jason Krizan. He's played more outfield than infield in the minor leagues but he's been just about solely a 2nd baseman in spring. And he's hitting a .286/.412/.571 so he's getting some notice. He'll probably wind up as the starting 2nd baseman in Sacramento but if there are injuries in spring, he could be a surprise on the roster come April 1st.

Outfielders
Injuries seem to be an issue with this group. The Giants brought 14 guys in this group to camp but moved 3 of them (Ruf, Dubon and Krizan) mainly to the infield. Additionally, Alexander Canario is injured and, unsurprisingly, not made an appearance in any games. Luis Alexander Basabe, who's played all three outfield positions is now injured and will be out 6 to 8 weeks, assuring he doesn't make the team and may start the minor league season on the IL. What is a bit of a surprise is how little Austin Slater has appeared. Back on February 24th, Slater was declared fit to play the outfield. However, he's only been in 2 games, both as a pinch hitter. It would seem that he may not be as healthy as was thought and may be a risk to start the season on the IL.
That leaves 8 guys jockeying for 4 or 5 spots. Alex Dickerson and Mike Yastrzemski are assured spots, if healthy. However, neither have played in many games but I've not heard of any injury issues with either. This leaves center field up for grabs, with Dubon looking to be more of an infielder now. This battle looks to be mainly between Steven Duggar and LaMonte Wade, Jr. Based on offensive output, it should be Duggar. He's outhitting Wade by .582 in OPS (1.257 for Duggar versus .675 for Wade). However, comments by Gabe Kapler suggest that Duggar is no slam dunk to make the team. Even though he's tied (with Bart, among others) with a team lead of 2 stolen bases, Kapler's comments are that they want to see more from Duggar on the small ball side of things, such as more aggressive baserunning and bunting. Maybe Dubon gets inserted back into centerfield but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wade at the guy starting there on Opening Day (but it should be Duggar).
I think we all know about the offensive show that Heliot Ramos has put up (2nd best OPS, just behind Flores, on the team, with playing time spread among all three outfield positions and the DH). But what about Joe McCarthy? He's trying to make a case for another shot with the team. So far, he's posted a .900 OPS in 20 plate appearances, playing both outfield corners and a game at 1st. If Slater isn't ready and Ruf covers 1st, McCarthy may be the 5th outfielder to break camp. Jaylin Davis, one of my favorites, just recently started playing and hasn't looked good so far.

Starting Rotation
Thus far, 6 pitchers have started games for the Giants this spring but only 4 seem to be locks to be in the rotation (Johnny Cueto, Kevin Gausman, Anthony DeSclafani, Alex Wood). Aaron Sanchez has yet to make an appearance in a Cactus League game. At this point, its hard to envision him starting the season in the rotation. The main candidates to fill that spot? Logan Webb and Nick Tropeano. Both have made 2 starts for the Giants and have looked good so far, but Webb has looked the best. In his 2 starts, he's gone 3 innings, giving up only 1 baserunner and striking out 4. Tropeano (who also made a relief appearance) has given up a run on 4 hits and 3 walks (against 4 Ks) in 4 innings of work thus far. Conner Menez is the only other guy to start and he's not looked good in his 2 starts (2 hits and 4 walks, with no Ks, in 2 innings).

Bullpen
Oh boy, this is where it gets nuts. Let's start with who hasn't pitched in a Cactus League game yet - Rico Garcia, Jose Alvarez, Reyes Moronta and John Brebbia. We all know that Brebbia is out from TJ surgery and that Moronta is still recovering from his surgery as well. However, the early talk about Moronta was that he was healthy. But no games doesn't bode well for Opening Day. Garcia is an NRI, so scant information is not surprising. But what about Jose Alvarez? He was signed almost two weeks ago. Is he injured or are they taking their time to get him into game situations? I don't know.
So who is a lock to make the bullpen? Right now, I'd say only Jake McGee, Matt Wisler and, maybe, Jarlin Garcia are locks. I say maybe on Garcia because the front office seemed obsessed about picking up lefty relievers and Garcia's spring has been rough, and brief. He's only gotten into one game and got knocked around in 1 inning of work. Not sure if he's injured or on the outs.
Assuming Moronta and Alvarez won't be ready for the start of the season, and Garcia is, that means the Giants most likely have 20 pitchers competing for 5 spots. Wow! So how is it looking? It may be easier to start with who probably isn't going to make it. Tyler Cyr, an NRI, has only gotten one look and it was bad. I wouldn't be surprised, with all the NRIs possibly being shufftled over to Sacramento, that he becomes an organizational casualty. It doesn't seem fair, considering his minor league output, but he's not an FZ product and those guys he's inherited seem to get short shrift. Daniel Alvarez, Sam Wolff, Jay Jackson, Anthony Banda, Zack Littell and Sam Long, all NRIs, and thus already starting on an uphill battle, haven't shown much (outside of Long's first appearance of spring). Dedniel Nunez, the Rule 5 draftee, has been battered in his 4 appearances and is now injured. He's probably on his way back to the Yankees. Sam Selman and Wandy Peralta, two lefties on the 40 man who did well last year, but whom have fallen in the depth charts behind J Alvarez, McGee and J Garcia, have not looked good either and could be dfa'd to make room for NRIs.
So who does that leave in the competition for the 5 remaining spots? There are 11 pitchers, in my mind, with the best chances of making the team. Of these 11, 8 are NRIs, so room will need to be made on the 40 man roster. The best among the NRIs, so far, has been Silvino Bracho. He's been in 4 games, gone 4 innings and gave up only 2 hits, a walk and struck out 7 batters. Yunior Marte, a dark horse candidate (or, rather, a non-candidate) at the start of spring, has looked good as well (3 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk and 3 Ks). Trevor Gott has been impressive in the K department (7 in 3 innings) but has also gotten hit around a bit. James Sherfy has looked a bit better (8 Ks in 4 innings but 3 hits and 3 walks). Then there is Shun Yamaguchi and Scott Kazmir. Yamaguchi has yet to allow a run in 2 appearances but his first outing was very shaky, saved only by a spectacular catch by Basabe to keep him out of big trouble. Kazmir just made his first appearance and was generally good (1 inning, 2 Ks but 2 hits) but will need to show he can repeat his success and stay healthy. Dominic Leone is the least likely of the NRIs to make the team but is at least still in the running (3 innings, 5 hits, 1 walk, 4 Ks). Oh and a guy named Luis Gonzalez, a last minute invitee, has pitched okay enough to warrant a longer look but probably will soon be reassigned (whenever the Giants make that first wave of cuts).
I would guess 3 to 4 of the NRIs make the squad, which means 3 guys on the 40 man roster are competing for the final 1 to 2 roster spots. Of the 3, my man, Tyler Rogers, has the most big league experience. He's allowed 2 runs, on 4 hits and a walk, and only struck out 2 batters, in 4 innings of work, but he's been solid enough that he may make it in the last bullpen spot. Caleb Baragar, it has been said, wants to stretch out as a starter but has made only one appearance, in relief, so far. My guess, though, is that he will start in Sacramento. Camilo Doval has looked good, though, and may have a shot at a bullpen spot. He's struck out 4 in 3 innings of work, with just 1 hit and 2 walks given up.

I'm warming up to Duggar... May we call him "Dig Dug" ...?

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FB group is debating whether or not Vosler will make the team.

.357 avg. and .915 ops ... I know it's spring training pitching but still...

I gotta believe he will... thoughts?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FB group is debating whether or not Vosler will make the team.

.357 avg. and .915 ops ... I know it's spring training pitching but still...

I gotta believe he will... thoughts?
I think he makes the team if both Belt and Longoria aren't ready to go. However, I doubt there is room if even one of them is healthy enough to start the season.

Meanwhile, we won't see any cuts in camp until the start of the season. Per this article, the Giants plan to keep everyone around until minor league camp opens on April 1st .

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys were assigned to the minor league training camp today:

Kervin Castro
Camilo Doval
Gregory Santos
Daniel Alvarez
Tristan Beck
Tyler Cyr
Matt Frisbee
Sean Hjelle
Jay Jackson
Kai-Wei Teng
Sam Wolff
Conner Menez
Luis Gonzalez
Joey Bart
Chadwick Tromp
Patrick Bailey
Ricardo Genovés
Arismendy Alcántara
Marco Luciano
Will Wilson
Logan Wyatt
Alexander Canario
Jaylin Davis
Luis Basabe
Hunter Bishop

Zero surprises to me.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys were assigned to the minor league training camp today:

Kervin Castro
Camilo Doval
Gregory Santos
Daniel Alvarez
Tristan Beck
Tyler Cyr
Matt Frisbee
Sean Hjelle
Jay Jackson
Kai-Wei Teng
Sam Wolff
Conner Menez
Luis Gonzalez
Joey Bart
Chadwick Tromp
Patrick Bailey
Ricardo Genovés
Arismendy Alcántara
Marco Luciano
Will Wilson
Logan Wyatt
Alexander Canario
Jaylin Davis
Luis Basabe
Hunter Bishop

Zero surprises to me.
I'm a bit surprised that Doval was reassigned but none of the others are surprising. Disappointed that Davis didn't get more of a look, but he's not new and shiny enough to retain FZ's interest.
Edit: Actually, I am surprised so many catchers got sent down at once. I thought that teams usually like to carry 3 or 4 catchers toward the end of camp so that their main guys won't be overworked in spring.
I do find it interesting that the Giants reassign a bunch of players a day after Kapler said the team won't reassign guys to minor league camp due to the delayed start of the minor league season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit surprised that Doval was reassigned but none of the others are surprising. Disappointed that Davis didn't get more of a look, but he's not new and shiny enough to retain FZ's interest.
Edit: Actually, I am surprised so many catchers got sent down at once. I thought that teams usually like to carry 3 or 4 catchers toward the end of camp so that their main guys won't be overworked in spring.
I do find it interesting that the Giants reassign a bunch of players a day after Kapler said the team won't reassign guys to minor league camp due to the delayed start of the minor league season.
I think there's a bit of confusion as to what being assigned means. For instance, I think three designees played vs. KC today. I don't think that being assigned means you can't stay with the club for at least some part of ST, although many of those guys will be shuffled off to the other facility. It's a weird year with no minor league games til May.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a bit of confusion as to what being assigned means. For instance, I think three designees played vs. KC today. I don't think that being assigned means you can't stay with the club for at least some part of ST, although many of those guys will be shuffled off to the other facility. It's a weird year with no minor league games til May.
I think its strange that they felt the need to reassign guys just after saying that they wouldn't do that. If there is no minor league camp yet, what exactly are they doing? I assume continuing to practice with the big league club. I guess the move just formally announces that these guys aren't making the club. The article I did read on the team website about the reassignments (actually, the guys on the 40 man roster were optioned) mentioned that they will still bring in some of those guys for appearances here and there.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't we see the same thing happen with a Rule 5 pick about three years ago?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Goudeau acquisition, the team remains officially at 47 players in camp (not counting guys on the 60 day IL). Only Ramos and Webb are under the age of 25. The average age of the 47 players in camp is 29.5.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, to be 29.5 again...
Get Ready Pain GIF by Rodney Dangerfield