• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2020

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something's going on at The Cove. We walk by frequently and from McCovey cove you can see into right field from the gates along the waterfront walkway... until today. Heavy tarp to block out spectators were put up overnight so you can no longer see the field. Maybe related to the crap going down in SF, maybe to shield eyes from spring training 2.0 - can't say, but I miss seeing the playing field

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FZ Transactions in the time of COVID

hmm...
Something's going on at The Cove. We walk by frequently and from McCovey cove you can see into right field from the gates along the waterfront walkway... until today. Heavy tarp to block out spectators were put up overnight so you can no longer see the field. Maybe related to the crap going down in SF, maybe to shield eyes from spring training 2.0 - can't say, but I miss seeing the playing field

What is going in SF?

Also, off topic, what is San Mateo like these days? That is where I used to live.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the DH is going to be permanent in the NL, why wouldn't Chris Shaw be in summer training this year, on a rebuilding club (unless he opted out of playing)? I don't care about making room in that spot for old guys like Pence and Sandoval. Shaw makes perfect sense to try out in that role. If he works, they've got a guy who can slot into that non-fielding role nicely. If he doesn't, they've tried and can go back to some kind of wacky rotation (sorry to make you gag over there, cal, with that certain thing being mentioned).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the DH is going to be permanent in the NL, why wouldn't Chris Shaw be in summer training this year, on a rebuilding club (unless he opted out of playing)? I don't care about making room in that spot for old guys like Pence and Sandoval. Shaw makes perfect sense to try out in that role. If he works, they've got a guy who can slot into that non-fielding role nicely. If he doesn't, they've tried and can go back to some kind of wacky rotation (sorry to make you gag over there, cal, with that certain thing being mentioned).

I think there's a good shot a lot of these 40-man roster guys are added to the 60 player pool once the non-roster guys are dropped, or guys are waived. So guys like Shaw, who aren't on the 60 yet, but close to the majors, will eventually make it on the pool.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a good shot a lot of these 40-man roster guys are added to the 60 player pool once the non-roster guys are dropped, or guys are waived. So guys like Shaw, who aren't on the 60 yet, but close to the majors, will eventually make it on the pool.
I'm not sure its going to work that way this year. I get the feeling that, at least initially, there won't be a lot of movement of players going off the 60 man pool, due mainly to COVID19 concerns (although FZ has been a bit trigger happy, despite his comments to the opposite). It may be the the Giants are keeping guys off the 60 man that they've identified as potential dfa candidates so that, should they be able to keep them, they can subsequently add them to the 60 man pool. Maybe 4 of the guys who get taken off the 40 man roster once the NRIs get added will be later added to the 60 man pool but I don't know how many will be further added beyond that. I guess I have to let the season play out to see how well FZ can control his transaction tendencies.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey... sometimes you just gotta take a big bite out of the gun barrel...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big announcement coming from Buster in 5 minutes...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s out.

He is adopting twin girls and they were born premature, so he is going to spend time there.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s out.

He is adopting twin girls and they were born premature, so he is going to spend time there.

Good for him. Will be interested to see how the rest of his career plays out. Only 1 more guaranteed year, a pretty sharp decline in production, two clear replacements in the pipeline. I'm not saying he's going to retire, but maybe a whole year away from the game changes his perspective a bit. Maybe he realizes it's not so bad.

All the being said, I still have serious doubts that this season will ever truly get off the ground so he's probably taking the smart route anyway.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. Will be interested to see how the rest of his career plays out. Only 1 more guaranteed year, a pretty sharp decline in production, two clear replacements in the pipeline. I'm not saying he's going to retire, but maybe a whole year away from the game changes his perspective a bit. Maybe he realizes it's not so bad.

All the being said, I still have serious doubts that this season will ever truly get off the ground so he's probably taking the smart route anyway.

He'll be a Brave soon...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on the catching situation:
With Posey out of the year, I know that it would be tempting to trade for a short term replacement. I hope that they don't. I'm fine with them signing Russell Martin and/or Jesus Sucre. I'm fine with a catching combo of Rob Brantly, Tyler Heineman and Chad Tromp. I'm fine with Joey Bart getting a shot if all these other guys are not available at a certain point in the season. I'm fine with with waiting for Aramis Garcia to get healthy and hope he is available before the season is over.
So why am I not okay with a trade? Because this feels like a throw away season. Yeah, I know that GM Harris made his ra-ra comments recently about having a chance in a short season, being buyers at the deadline and people sleeping on this team. But does anyone really think that he believes any of that? Posey being unavailable just makes it that much easier to tank this season. FZ has made comments that there will be fewer transactions this year due to COVID (what self-control for him if he really does suppress the amount of transactions). Just play the season with what you got, get the high draft pick in 2021 and hope that there is a real season in 2021. Don't get rid of any type of prospect (even C grade level) for some guy that will just plug a hole for about 60 games. Not necessary in 2020.
Edit: Plus Whiteside is ready for it to be someone else's fault.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on the catching situation:
With Posey out of the year, I know that it would be tempting to trade for a short term replacement. I hope that they don't. I'm fine with them signing Russell Martin and/or Jesus Sucre. I'm fine with a catching combo of Rob Brantly, Tyler Heineman and Chad Tromp. I'm fine with Joey Bart getting a shot if all these other guys are not available at a certain point in the season. I'm fine with with waiting for Aramis Garcia to get healthy and hope he is available before the season is over.
So why am I not okay with a trade? Because this feels like a throw away season. Yeah, I know that GM Harris made his ra-ra comments recently about having a chance in a short season, being buyers at the deadline and people sleeping on this team. But does anyone really think that he believes any of that? Posey being unavailable just makes it that much easier to tank this season. FZ has made comments that there will be fewer transactions this year due to COVID (what self-control for him if he really does suppress the amount of transactions). Just play the season with what you got, get the high draft pick in 2021 and hope that there is a real season in 2021. Don't get rid of any type of prospect (even C grade level) for some guy that will just plug a hole for about 60 games. Not necessary in 2020.
Edit: Plus Whiteside is ready for it to be someone else's fault.

I can live with that.