• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Practice

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks to hear that about Acree.

I am just going to put this out there and see what you all think - I bet Conte is probably not far off for competing for a legit shot at 1st team as well. Thoughts?

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sounds about right .. The only sure starters at this point seem to be miller, benedict, and gibson ... Farris is def in the mix .. Shuman may start in august but I don't know that he'll be starting by the end of season

Sounds like tarashke(sp?), mc'lovin, and augie (bad-ass name) are impressing a lot and will be multi-yr starters

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks to hear that about Acree.

I am just going to put this out there and see what you all think - I bet Conte is probably not far off for competing for a legit shot at 1st team as well. Thoughts?

So 7 posts ago... :wink:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the articles on TKP had this to say about Conte after the scrimmage, ranking his performance behind that of a lot of the other linemen:

I was on the Augie-watch all scrimmage, hoping to see him take some snaps with the first team at guard. That wasn't the case. Conte took every snap with the second team, rotating with McLaughlin and Goins, and gave up a couple of huge plays in pass protection. I think Joe, French and I agree that Conte will more than likely end up at guard, where he can use his size and not worry about space as much, but it is unclear whether or not Grimes agrees. I think he has nowhere to go but up from his performance, and I expect him to. He was very solid in run blocking already, and if he improves some in the pass protection (or at least not get poor Mark Leal killed) he will shoot up the depth chart.

Thoughts on the above take? Surprised to hear that Joe, French, and Brian all think he will end up inside. May just be that they're saying that because of our weakness inside, but it didn't read quite like that to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no excuses for giving up sacks...even for a younger guy. But you also don't know what exactly happened (driven backwards on his ass?? probably not... OR was it a missed assignment/read??). Couple that with the fact that our 2nd team DL are probably starters on many FBS teams...I'm not reading too much into it. I think Conte is gonna be good.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't get me wrong, I expect Conte to be a multi-year starter, and a good one. I'd be the first to point out that one scrimmage is not a good indicator anyway. Still, it's a reminder that he is a freshman, after all. And interesting that a couple guys whose opinion I respect think he'll end up moving inside... Hadn't heard that before.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't get me wrong, I expect Conte to be a multi-year starter, and a good one. I'd be the first to point out that one scrimmage is not a good indicator anyway. Still, it's a reminder that he is a freshman, after all. And interesting that a couple guys whose opinion I respect think he'll end up moving inside... Hadn't heard that before.

He has been practicing inside at Guard the last week. He is just a bit overwhelmed in pass protection figuring out who he has to block at times with the scheme. He will be ok with more reps and experience. He has the physical tools just needs the game to slow down a bit for him and that will happen over time.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no excuses for giving up sacks...even for a younger guy. But you also don't know what exactly happened (driven backwards on his ass?? probably not... OR was it a missed assignment/read??). Couple that with the fact that our 2nd team DL are probably starters on many FBS teams...I'm not reading too much into it. I think Conte is gonna be good.
He was playing on the 2nd team, which means he is mostly playing against our 1st team Dline.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was playing on the 2nd team, which means he is mostly playing against our 1st team Dline.

That's right. That is how it works. Thanks for the correction.

Just looked at ABs Twitter. Sounds like LT, Knowles, Caleb, and Holmes are having a good scrimmage on O. On D, Dadi must be tearin' it up too.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting... Benedict listed on the backups squad

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From the Post article:

'New offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler on the offensive line: “We want to find the chemistry. We want to find the best five. We’re gonna put pressure on people to fight for a spot. I like it. I love it right now. Now, do I like it Week Two of training camp? No. You gotta start having a unit out there working together. But for right now, put pressure on people, make people accountable, try to find the right chemistry.” '

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn, guess this means another mediocre year. Why on earth would we let the man signle handedly responsible for LTs regression back into the picture. :gaah: