• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Week 5 Top 25 Discussion Thread

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
App State's success is a product of their schedule. So if you're gonna penalize NC State and Colorado for being successful with a weak schedule, you gotta do the same for App State.

If NC State and Colorado went to Happy Valley and nearly came out with a win, while having 42 point leads over everyone else they played by halftime I'd rank them too.

Appalachian State played AT Penn State

Colorado has played 4 teams with a TOTAL of 1 win, NC State's best opponent so far might just have been James Madison

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on fellers, number 2 teams don't play a 24-12 game at home against Tennessee until 5 minutes left in the game when they finally decided to put together a long scoring drive, and then force a fumble deep in plus territory.

I realized I've been just throwing Georgia up there, and keeping the same order in my top 7-8

I decided to reevaluate this week...Georgia and Oklahoma needed to drop and LSU/Notre Dame with impressive wins should have been higher

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Charlotte 49ers, a team Appalachian State beat by 39, has more wins themselves than all 4 teams Colorado has beaten combined. There is 0 reason whatsoever that CU should be ranked.
They’re a 2 win FCS team at this point. App State’s Sunbelt/FCS schedule at this point has combined for 3 wins.

You’re retarded.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realized I've been just throwing Georgia up there, and keeping the same order in my top 7-8

I decided to reevaluate this week...Georgia and Oklahoma needed to drop and LSU/Notre Dame with impressive wins should have been higher

I expected some growing pains with a lot of new starters, they're all blue chip recruits, but are still new starters. I'm hoping they'll finally put it together next week against Vandy. If not, we have no shot in Baton Rouge.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how you can say USC is so much better this year if you've actually seen both teams play. Illinois has been competitive for nearly every quarter of football they've played this year while USC has been listless and has lacked fire. There's no reason to think if they played on a neutral field today that it'd be a blowout.

There isn't much of a gap in my rankings. After the top 15 or so it's a crapshoot that I give little to no thought to, as I'm thinking most people are. You could shuffle those teams around in about any way you want at this point.

Stanford simply doesn't. Getting absolutely murdered against Notre Dame says it all.

I'd be curious as to how you would rank PSU's and Stanford's opponents that they've beaten 1-8. I haven't seen a single metric that would rank PSU's as harder, except the metric in your head.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected some growing pains with a lot of new starters, they're all blue chip recruits, but are still new starters. I'm hoping they'll finally put it together next week against Vandy. If not, we have no shot in Baton Rouge.

You guys definitely have a lot to work on, Vandy will be a cakewalk but then you get to the meat of your schedule the next few weeks. We'll definitely know soon enough how good or not good Georgia is

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys definitely have a lot to work on, Vandy will be a cakewalk but then you get to the meat of your schedule the next few weeks. We'll definitely know soon enough how good or not good Georgia is

They'll either fix it or they won't. This will be the worst roster we have over the next 4-5 years.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be curious as to how you would rank PSU's and Stanford's opponents that they've beaten 1-8. I haven't seen a single metric that would rank PSU's as harder, except the metric in your head.
Haven’t you heard? App State is totally legit. It’s not embarrassing for a team like penn state to need overtime to beat them at home, it actually just shows how legit penn state really is.

Oh, and Illinois too. They’re really good this year, as tough as anyone. (Unless they’re playing a team you don’t think should be ranked, then they’re garbage)

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, App State has a fairly long history of giving the boys a scare early in the season.

2007- beat Michigan
2009- lost by 5 to East Carolina(App St was still an FCS team at the time
2016- Took Tennessee to OT
2017- It was still a game against UGA until right before half, and they lost by 1 point to Wake FOrest
2018- Took Penn State to OT

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Fields a serious threat to take the starting job from Fromm?

Probably not this season. Kirby probably doesn't want to go with a true freshman QB 3 seasons in a row, but Fields will continue to get significant playing time. Come next season, I fully expect the best player to get the job, and Fields is probably a good bet for that. It will get interesting, because Fromm would be the unquestioned starter on 95% of the teams in the country, and he has been really good this season.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not this season. Kirby probably doesn't want to go with a true freshman QB 3 seasons in a row, but Fields will continue to get significant playing time. Come next season, I fully expect the best player to get the job, and Fields is probably a good bet for that. It will get interesting, because Fromm would be the unquestioned starter on 95% of the teams in the country, and he has been really good this season.

Makes sense, honestly I don't know too much about Georgia yet.. You guys have cruised so easily in your games that I really haven't bother to watch you so far. Curious to see what would happen if Fields does beat Fromm out because you are correct Fromm would start for most of the country, he is very good...even been mentioned as a potential top 10 pick...it's crazy to think his job is under threat

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll either fix it or they won't. This will be the worst roster we have over the next 4-5 years.

I think all but 1 school in America would take your current roster. You guys are loaded with talent.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all but 1 school in America would take your current roster. You guys are loaded with talent.

Aside from Deandre Baker at CB, this is a weak group of seniors. The seniors, especially the ones that would have been drafted but decided to come back were what made last year's team so special. We're missing leadership among the players. The roster is extremely talented, but pretty raw right now, and so far it looks like we're picking up where left off last season on the recruiting trail.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense, honestly I don't know too much about Georgia yet.. You guys have cruised so easily in your games that I really haven't bother to watch you so far. Curious to see what would happen if Fields does beat Fromm out because you are correct Fromm would start for most of the country, he is very good...even been mentioned as a potential top 10 pick...it's crazy to think his job is under threat

Just from the limited action I've seen this season, Fromm is the better passer, and better at reading defenses(reading defenses is what set him apart as a true freshman last season), but Fields is more than a capable passer, and his legs add another element to the offense that we haven't seen since DJ Shockley(Fields is a better passer than Shockley ever was). I love Jake Fromm, the entire state of Georgia loves Jake Fromm, and he has potential to be an NFL QB, but as good as he is, Fields might be better.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State has looked so much better than Stanford. And while Penn State struggled against App State, they have blown out the other competition they've faces. Stanford should have 2 losses right now, to be honest.
with all due respect, pitt blows, kent blows, illinois blows, they should of blown those teams out

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State's wins: App St, Pitt, Kent St, Illinois
Stanford's wins: San Diego St, USC, UC Davis, Oregon

USC may be horrible, but they are still way better than Illinois, Pitt and Kent St. And even if you want to say Oregon and App St are equal, Stanford still has better secondary wins, but even you think Oregon is better than App St. so that's not worth discussion.
winner

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just from the limited action I've seen this season, Fromm is the better passer, and better at reading defenses(reading defenses is what set him apart as a true freshman last season), but Fields is more than a capable passer, and his legs add another element to the offense that we haven't seen since DJ Shockley(Fields is a better passer than Shockley ever was). I love Jake Fromm, the entire state of Georgia loves Jake Fromm, and he has potential to be an NFL QB, but as good as he is, Fields might be better.

Must be such a luxury to have so many good QBs. A few years ago no one in the SEC had QBs this good, now you guys have two of them.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from Deandre Baker at CB, this is a weak group of seniors. The seniors, especially the ones that would have been drafted but decided to come back were what made last year's team so special. We're missing leadership among the players. The roster is extremely talented, but pretty raw right now, and so far it looks like we're picking up where left off last season on the recruiting trail.

I'm just saying, nobody is going to feel sorry for you guys on the roster construction standpoint. Almost every single team has a weakness somewhere. Except maybe the evil empire now that Saban learned good QB's aren't bad for your offense.