• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Week 5 Top 25 Discussion Thread

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State should drop but not that far down. Maybe 2, 3 spots. Stanford should drop below Penn State and Cincinnati and South Florida should be ranked.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should because they have a shitty coach

man, that fourth and 5 call, after both teams called several timeouts, whew!

Jeez, put the ball in McSorely's hands, I swear sometimes these coaches making 5 mil plus can make the most boneheaded play calls. Staggering

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State should drop but not that far down. Maybe 2, 3 spots. Stanford should drop below Penn State and Cincinnati and South Florida should be ranked.

Disagree. Stanford has much better wins compared to Penn State, and while Ohio State is better than ND, the difference in loss isn't as big a gap as it is with Stanford's wins.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long before Washington is ranked above Auburn? I understand we lost to Auburn, however I think most would agree that Washington is a better team at this point.

I seriously debated it this week. Like I said at the time, the loss was coin-flip loss in a stadium that was 80%+ Auburn fans. Every year, I get into the debate with people about how important head to head is. I still don't understand how people can act like one game, especially a de-facto home game, can outdo the entirety of the schedule.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Stanford has much better wins compared to Penn State, and while Ohio State is better than ND, the difference in loss isn't as big a gap as it is with Stanford's wins.

1. Stanford was outgained 550-229 and did not look like they belonged on the same field as Notre Dame. 38-17 actually makes the game look closer than it actually was. Penn State outgained Ohio State and, if anything, looked slightly better everywhere but the scoreboard. There is a huge disparity in their two losses.

2. Take out the names on their jerseys and the conference they play in, and try to make a coherent argument as to why Appalachian State is not a good team. Since losing a tight classic to Penn State (who after last night, looks pretty good), they have outgained their three (admittedly bad) opponents 169-23.

I'm sorry, but you are dead wrong. Stanford has not looked near as good as Penn State so far this year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC is horrible, San Diego State is the definition of mediocre, and Oregon had the biggest choke job of the year. Appalachian State beats all of them. Also, Penn State lost by 1 while Stanford lost by 21. Stanford should consider themselves extremely lucky to be top 15.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Stanford was outgained 550-229 and did not look like they belonged on the same field as Notre Dame. 38-17 actually makes the game look closer than it actually was. Penn State outgained Ohio State and, if anything, looked slightly better everywhere but the scoreboard. There is a huge disparity in their two losses.

2. Take out the names on their jerseys and the conference they play in, and try to make a coherent argument as to why Appalachian State is not a good team. Since losing a tight classic to Penn State (who after last night, looks pretty good), they have outgained their three (admittedly bad) opponents 169-23.

I'm sorry, but you are dead wrong. Stanford has not looked near as good as Penn State so far this year.

I do think App St is a good team. I debated on ranking them. I would agree that Penn State looked better against Ohio State than Stanford did against ND. But Stanford has a really good road win at Oregon.

Both are 4-1. Stanford has played a tougher schedule, and has better wins.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC is horrible, San Diego State is the definition of mediocre, and Oregon had the biggest choke job of the year. Appalachian State beats all of them. Also, Penn State lost by 1 while Stanford lost by 21. Stanford should consider themselves extremely lucky to be top 15.

Penn State's wins: App St, Pitt, Kent St, Illinois
Stanford's wins: San Diego St, USC, UC Davis, Oregon

USC may be horrible, but they are still way better than Illinois, Pitt and Kent St. And even if you want to say Oregon and App St are equal, Stanford still has better secondary wins, but even you think Oregon is better than App St. so that's not worth discussion.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State's wins: App St, Pitt, Kent St, Illinois
Stanford's wins: San Diego St, USC, UC Davis, Oregon

USC may be horrible, but they are still way better than Illinois, Pitt and Kent St. And even if you want to say Oregon and App St are equal, Stanford still has better secondary wins, but even you think Oregon is better than App St. so that's not worth discussion.
In what way has USC looked "way better" than Illinois? I've seen them get absolutely destroyed vs the only two ranked opponents they've faced, while Illinois has only been truly beaten badly by Penn State. They should've beaten USF, a win that would be much better than any win USC has.

Also, what makes Oregon better than Appalachian State? Even your precious efficiency rankings put Appalachian State way ahead of Oregon. Oregon will be ranked ahead of them, but put them on a field and I easily could see Appalachian taking it.

Stanford is not as good as Penn State. Not even remotely close. The rankings will reflect it. Stop being ignorant already.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In what way has USC looked "way better" than Illinois? I've seen them get absolutely destroyed vs the only two ranked opponents they've faced, while Illinois has only been truly beaten badly by Penn State. They should've beaten USF, a win that would be much better than any win USC has.

Also, what makes Oregon better than Appalachian State? Even your precious efficiency rankings put Appalachian State way ahead of Oregon. Oregon will be ranked ahead of them, but put them on a field and I easily could see Appalachian taking it.

Stanford is not as good as Penn State. Not even remotely close. The rankings will reflect it. Stop being ignorant already.

Please keep trying to tell people Illinois and USC are equal. lmao. USC isn't good, but it's fucking Illinois.

I said if you want Oregon and App St. to be equal fine, but even you don't believe that, or there wouldn't have been that big of a gap in your rankings.

Stanford simply has a better resume at this point. It's not really debatable. But if people want to rank Penn State ahead of Stanford simply because of eye test, that's fine.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Penn State has looked so much better than Stanford. And while Penn State struggled against App State, they have blown out the other competition they've faces. Stanford should have 2 losses right now, to be honest.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dropped Penn State down a bit, but to be fair, I did have them ranked higher than most people to start the week, so it's probably more of a correction anyways.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously debated it this week. Like I said at the time, the loss was coin-flip loss in a stadium that was 80%+ Auburn fans. Every year, I get into the debate with people about how important head to head is. I still don't understand how people can act like one game, especially a de-facto home game, can outdo the entirety of the schedule.

I'm close on it too, if Auburn struggles again this week against a crappy Mississippi State team they're going to drop a few more spots

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think App St is a good team. I debated on ranking them. I would agree that Penn State looked better against Ohio State than Stanford did against ND. But Stanford has a really good road win at Oregon.

Both are 4-1. Stanford has played a tougher schedule, and has better wins.

I realized it was time to rank Appalachian State, they're legitimate. Lost in overtime at Happy Valley where you have to be an Ohio State level team to win at and since then Appalachian State has destroyed everyone in their path

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The end of the top 25 was tough, I decided to rank good one loss teams like Oklahoma State and Syracuse instead of ranking mediocre teams like NC State and Colorado who's unbeaten record is a product of their schedule

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realized it was time to rank Appalachian State, they're legitimate. Lost in overtime at Happy Valley where you have to be an Ohio State level team to win at and since then Appalachian State has destroyed everyone in their path

App State's success is a product of their schedule. So if you're gonna penalize NC State and Colorado for being successful with a weak schedule, you gotta do the same for App State.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please keep trying to tell people Illinois and USC are equal. lmao. USC isn't good, but it's fucking Illinois.

I said if you want Oregon and App St. to be equal fine, but even you don't believe that, or there wouldn't have been that big of a gap in your rankings.

Stanford simply has a better resume at this point. It's not really debatable. But if people want to rank Penn State ahead of Stanford simply because of eye test, that's fine.
I don't see how you can say USC is so much better this year if you've actually seen both teams play. Illinois has been competitive for nearly every quarter of football they've played this year while USC has been listless and has lacked fire. There's no reason to think if they played on a neutral field today that it'd be a blowout.

There isn't much of a gap in my rankings. After the top 15 or so it's a crapshoot that I give little to no thought to, as I'm thinking most people are. You could shuffle those teams around in about any way you want at this point.

Stanford simply doesn't. Getting absolutely murdered against Notre Dame says it all.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
App State's success is a product of their schedule. So if you're gonna penalize NC State and Colorado for being successful with a weak schedule, you gotta do the same for App State.
The Charlotte 49ers, a team Appalachian State beat by 39, has more wins themselves than all 4 teams Colorado has beaten combined. There is 0 reason whatsoever that CU should be ranked.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on fellers, number 2 teams don't play a 24-12 game at home against Tennessee until 5 minutes left in the game when they finally decided to put together a long scoring drive, and then force a fumble deep in plus territory.