• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Most Storied Program Tournament - (4) Ohio State vs (5) Nebraska

Who has a more storied program?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just pick a timeline that best justifies your vote. It works for most here.
That's what I am seeing. Let's go with BCS era.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple questions is this about Ohio state or the B1G? Also what years are we using since it seems like Neb did not do much people are posting about until the 70s.

Really, That is what you got.

So Nebraska must have earned the 874 wins since 1970. That is 45 years at roughly a 19 wins per season clip.

So far we have, Ohio State played in a weaker conference. Takes credit for National Championships even though they lost their bowl game. Has fewer top ten finishes since 1960, that is with Nebraska having none for the last 14 years. Forced to vacate wins(as far as I am concerned this was BS by the NCAA, I gave credit to Ohio State for the win in the bowl game over the SEC in my earlier stats in this thread)

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I am seeing a lot of from you

kiel-landers.jpg

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is very simple when you think you're the one that gets to make the rules. Very funny.
Go ahead and post the truth as you see it.
Tell us about the "National Football Foundation & Hall of Fame" titles. Or the "Football Writers Association" titles and how the 'Poling System" are so recognized, and dont leave out "Bob Kirlin" and "Jim Koger" whoever the fuck they are.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So Nebraska must have earned the 874 wins since 1970. That is 45 years at roughly a 19 wins per season clip.

So far we have, Ohio State played in a weaker conference. Takes credit for National Championships even though they lost their bowl game. Has fewer top ten finishes since 1960, that is with Nebraska having none for the last 14 years. Forced to vacate wins(as far as I am concerned this was BS by the NCAA, I gave credit to Ohio State for the win in the bowl game over the SEC in my earlier stats in this thread)

No but it seems all that is being post about their accomplishments is since the 70s. You tell me since nobody else is, what did they do before the 70s?

Go ahead and post the truth as you see it.
Tell us about the "National Football Foundation & Hall of Fame" titles. Or the "Football Writers Association" titles and how the 'Poling System" are so recognized, and dont leave out "Bob Kirlin" and "Jim Koger" whoever the fuck they are.

Yes as I see it when you pick and chose your time period. tOSU only claims the NC that the NCAA has on record, no others. If you do not like what happened before you were born, please contact the NCAA.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like this part. So Nebraska was kicking ass and taking name in the B12 but they move to the B1G and do nothing. But that is the weaker conf.? I would think if they were in the tougher conf. and winning and then move to a weaker they would have an even better record. That's what seems would make sense if what you say is true.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this part. So Nebraska was kicking ass and taking name in the B12 but they move to the B1G and do nothing. But that is the weaker conf.? I would think if they were in the tougher conf. and winning and then move to a weaker they would have an even better record. That's what seems would make sense if what you say is true.
Im not sure where you got that Nebraska was kicking ass in the Big 12...the program has done exactly the same since 2008. 9-10 wins and 4 losses.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

ellupo is all bent out of shape.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

ellupo is all bent out of shape.
I asked a question. I hear about how much better the B12 is than the B1G yet Nebraska is not doing better in the B1G.

I guess when you have no valid argument you trying to change the subject.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked a question. I hear about how much better the B12 is than the B1G yet Nebraska is not doing better in the B1G.

I suggest you read ALL of my posts in this thread for some enlightenment.

I have one post about the bowl wins.
I have another post about how Nebraska stunk in 1960 and 1961 and from 2002 on.

Your post reading is quite selective.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[
I dont see it as close. Neb beats tOSU in Conf. Championships, 11 wins all time, 5 bowl wins and 7 bowl games.
tOSU has them with win %, 3 NC which is why the game is played, 15 all americans, 4 heisman winners, many draft picks, many first rounders, over 100 weeks in AP and 25 weeks at #1.

The site said 8, the NCAA says 9. You may not use that site but do you use the NCAA? Or do you just use your own stats when it is needed for your argument?

Even with out that tOSU had Neb. in too many other categories.

I went to the NCAA. Or are they wrong?

So every 10 or 20 years Neb is good? Are voting for the the entire history or just picking here and there about history?

Well I look around my house and I dont have any, how many you "got"?

So I guess "most storied" means after 1970? Are we looking at the years before or do we pick and chose when? I chose the last 13 years. Neb. has done nothing where tOSU has won a couple NC and a bunch of BCS games. Hands down tOSU since we are just using a certain time period.

Awe did you feelings get hurt? Im looking I dont see the word "sucked". But you work out those bad feelings anyway you want.

You are getting you panties in a bunch over nothing. I dont give a rats ass which team is better.

Lighten up francis

Pretty good at copy and paste but with a little added specific time period.

Yes watching you have a little fit is about MY ego. Look in the mirror buddy.

All time?

Oh so "all time" means the time period the post decides. I get it now. Well I chose "all time" in the BCS era. Lets compare that "all time".

Yes obviously our definitions of "all time" are very different.

But I chose BCS era as "all time". So all these other numbers do not matter. Its "all time".

So consecutive is what matters to you? Im sorry that tOSU puts so many more into the NFL and had so many more first rounders. I guess if they stayed around maybe there would be more "consecutive".

Let me pull out my crystal ball and I will let you know.

I think that is more a reflection on the competition.

I dont remember you saying anything about the Neb. team that was "co-champion". Very selective with your criticism.

I respect Neb. also but this was not about respect. If it was then Navy wins all. So is that what it is respect or "most storied"?

You are still all upset. Tell uncle ellupo what the problem is, let it all out.

First and only, they should be impressed. Nebraska fans are sounding like Mi. fans. But but look what happened 20 years ago...

A couple questions is this about Ohio state or the B1G? Also what years are we using since it seems like Neb did not do much people are posting about until the 70s.

This is what I am seeing a lot of from you

kiel-landers.jpg

No but it seems all that is being post about their accomplishments is since the 70s. You tell me since nobody else is, what did they do before the 70s?

Yes as I see it when you pick and chose your time period. tOSU only claims the NC that the NCAA has on record, no others. If you do not like what happened before you were born, please contact the NCAA.

Those are all the Ellupo posts in this thread, a whole bunch of crying, not much substance.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 8 was just Nebraska and Oklahoma?

Please check the final 1971 rankings
1. Nebraska
2. Oklahoma only lost to Nebraska
3. Colorado lost to Oklahoma and Nebraska

Colorado shared a title in 1990

The 1990s Colorado, Kansas, K State, and Nebraska were all ranked in the top ten. 1995 four Big 8 teams finished in the Top Ten.

Ohio State's record vs the SEC in bowl games is not pretty, 2-10.
Nebraska's record vs the SEC in bowl games is pretty good. Beat LSU, Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee for NCs, Nebraska is 13-7.

Against the PAC in bowl games Ohio State is 5-6 and Nebraska is 0-1, since 1960.

The ACC pretty much owns Nebraska in bowl games, mostly because Clemson won a NC by beating Nebraska, Georgia Tech shared a NC by beating Nebraska, Miami beat Nebraska for a NC, and Florida State beat Nebraska for a NC.

If I had time I would figure out how many times Nebraska was playing the national champion of or for a NC in a game. From above that is at least nine bowl games had national championship implications.

Since 1960 Ohio State has had three losing seasons and five seasons of 5 or more losses.
Since 1960 Nebraska has had four losing seasons, two were 1960 and 1961 with six seasons of losing five or more.
If I went from 1962 on then Nebraska would only have TWO losing season in the last 52 years and Ohio State would have three losing seasons.

Nebraska's record vs the Big 10 in bowl games from 1960 to 2010 is 3-0 Ohio State vs Big 8 and Big 12 is 3-1.

Since 1970 the Big 8 won 9 national championships and 11 national championships when including the Big 12.
Since 1970 The Big 10 has won two national championships up until Nebraska joined the Big 10.

Nebraska top ten rankings 57 since 1960 in either the AP poll or the coaches poll.
Ohio State top ten rankings 54 since 1960 in either the AP poll or the coaches poll.

Bowl game wins from 1960 to January 2011

Big 8 and Big 12
114 wins
109 losses

Big Ten
95 wins
120 losses

That statistic sort of lets you know which team had an easier path.

To be fair, the Big Ten pretty much played all of their bowl games as actual AWAY games.
The Big 8 played all of their bowl games as AWAY games.
The Big 12 definitely had home field advantage in those Texas bowls.
One of the Big 8 wins and one of the Big 8 losses is because Nebraska lost to Oklahoma in the 1979 Orange Bowl.

Outside of the homers, the Big Ten was also known as a two team conference.

1971 UNDISPUTED beat the final ranked #2, #3, and #4 teams giving the #2 and #4 teams their only loss
1995 UNDISPUTED please read link below, beat the #2, #5, #11, and #12 final ranked teams by a margin of 34 points per game

NFL.com lists 1995 Huskers as greatest of all time Big Ten Network

1994 almost UNDISPUTED beat Miami on their home field, Miami was something like 61-1 on that field. Penn State beat #12 Oregon(three losses to Hawaii, Utah, and Washington State), whereas Nebraska beat #3 ranked Miami on their home field.

Cherry picked? Sorry I only included the last 55 years. One of the Ohio State voters and the PennStateNut mentioned the Big 8 was just the big 2 and Nebraska had it easy.

I posited that the Big Ten was just Ohio State and Michigan and that the Big Ten technically had an easier road because the Big Ten bowl games bear out the fact that the Big 10 lost more bowl games than it won.

I also gave the years of 1960 and 1961, which Nebraska stunk.

I posted information that showed that the Big 8 and Big 12 had more bowl wins than the Big 10. Which almost means that the Big 8/Big 12 had a tougher schedule.

Cherry Picked? I gave you Nebraska from 2001 onward. Nebraska did diddly from then. The Top Ten finishes DRASTICALLY changed from 2001 onward. Ohio State gained something like 18 to 0 during that stretch.

Tell you what. You cherry pick the years 1960, 1961, 2002 - 2014. That will give you 15 years.
I will cherry pick the years 1962-2001, that will give me 40 years.

Wins

Nebraska 874
Ohio State 863

win%
Ohio State 0.720
Nebraska 0.712

Bowl records
Nebraska 25-26
Ohio State 22-24

only nine schools have a win % over 70%.

Colorado has more wins than any Big Ten schools not named Michigan or Ohio State. Which sort of appears to support the idea that just maybe the Big Ten was an easier path.

That I will agree with, it is a close one.

I see that Ohio State claims the 1970 title, even though Ohio State lost to Stanford in the bowl game. Nebraska also claims the 1970 title, but Nebraska won their bowl game and did not lose a game. Matter of fact, all of the Nebraska claimed titles are when Nebraska won their bowl game.

I suggest you read ALL of my posts in this thread for some enlightenment.

I have one post about the bowl wins.
I have another post about how Nebraska stunk in 1960 and 1961 and from 2002 on.

Your post reading is quite selective.

There you go Ellupo, now you can read all my posts in this thread. For one that says you don't give a rat's ass you sure have a lot of whining posts.

Last edited:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[

Those are all the Ellupo posts in this thread, a whole bunch of crying, not much substance.
hahaahah nice copy and paste. You B12 guys seem to be good at then when you have not reply.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you go Ellupo, now you can read all my posts in this thread. For one that says you don't give a rat's ass you sure have a lot of whining posts.
Whining post? Once again when you have nothing you copy and paste.
I see all your post, you cherry pick years instead of including the entire history.
For some reason you do not like how many NC the NCAA has for tOSU, that's fine but its the NCAA.
Personally I don't care about any other team than tOSU in the B1G but you say its just tOSU and MI, maybe you should look at who else has won NC in football in the B1G.
You say the road in the B1G is easier so shouldn't Nebraska's record improved in a weaker conference?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn. ellupo is raging.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whining post? Once again when you have nothing you copy and paste.
I see all your post, you cherry pick years instead of including the entire history.
For some reason you do not like how many NC the NCAA has for tOSU, that's fine but its the NCAA.
Personally I don't care about any other team than tOSU in the B1G but you say its just tOSU and MI, maybe you should look at who else has won NC in football in the B1G.
You say the road in the B1G is easier so shouldn't Nebraska's record improved in a weaker conference?

1957 is questionable.

Auburn was undefeated and untied.
Ohio State lost to TCU.

If those two would have played, and with Ohio State's record vs SEC in bowl games(it ain't pretty), pretty sure Auburn would have won.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1957 is questionable.

Auburn was undefeated and untied.
Ohio State lost to TCU.

If those two would have played, and with Ohio State's record vs SEC in bowl games(it ain't pretty), pretty sure Auburn would have won.
Auburn didn't play in a bowl that year.