• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's Most Storied Program Tournament - (3) USC vs (6) Alabama

Who has a more storied program?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've voted for USC in honor of Roboticdreams, unless @iowajerms will count him as a silent vote for USC. I really hope he gets one.

However, the right answer is Alabama. Grab a beer and have a seat.

Rose Bowls

We'll get to the national championships, but this story starts before they even had National Champions. Many people who don't know much about college football history may think Alabama has always gotten respect, but that's not the case at all. In the 20's college football was all about the east and west coasts and northern midwest area. The south didn't get much respect at all.

After many teams turned down a bowl offer, Alabama agreed to travel to California and play in the Rose Bowl in 1926 to face the undefeated Washington Huskies. Alabama, treated much like mid-majors are today, were expected to get blown out. Instead, Alabama won 20-19, shocking everyone, and brought respect to southern football. Alabama was considered "the team of the south".

Alabama would go on to win many more Rose Bowls before they shut the SEC out of it. Still, Alabama has more Rose Bowl wins than any locked teams. The Rose Bowl is even mentioned in our fight song.

Rushing Team?

While most people think of Alabama as a rushing team, and for many years that's been true, it was actually an Alabama player, Don Hutson who is credited with creating what is considered to be the "modern receiver". He went on to set many NFL records. A huge contribution to football.

Legendary Coaches

Alabama has had 4 legendary coaches, 2 of which might be considered and debated against for greatest of all time. Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Wallace Wade and Frank Thomas.

National Championships

Of course, we all know about Alabama's Championships, no matter if you think they are legit or not. However, what is often overlooked is that Alabama has been a HUGE part of the national championship process for basically the past 70 years. There are very few changes that Alabama hasn't been a part of - and it's not always a good thing for Alabama.

AP and Coaches polls were both changed because of Alabama. Traditionally bowl games were considered exhibition games and the final rankings came out at the end of the season. Alabama won the AP national championships in 1964 but lost it's bowl game, causing the AP to switch. A similar event happened again in 1973 and the Coaches poll also changed to after the bowl games.

Of course, more recently came in 2011 when Alabama got a rematch against LSU in the BCS. While the SEC and ACC had for years tried to get a playoff, the Big10 and Pac10 blocked it because of the Rose Bowl etc. After seeing 2 SEC teams get in, these conferences finally changed their positions and it lead to the college football playoff we have now.

And while sadly Alabama didn't win the first playoffs, they were among the teams who played in it, putting yet another chapter in the national championship story.

No matter what you think of Alabama's national championships, the simple fact of the matter is you can't hardly mention the word National Championships without someone thinking about Alabama, and more times than not bringing up Alabama(usually out of hate).

Recent History is lobsided

USC has great history, most of it is player based rather than team based, but they've done well in both areas. And leading into the 2007 season, I can easily see why USC would be seeded higher. But after the way Alabama dominated over these past 7 years with Nick Saban, winning 3 more national championships and back to back championships becoming one of the best dynasties in college football - Alabama has really taken the lead.

There is some much damn Alabama story on the media these days, I get tired of seeing it all even as an Alabama fan. Even as much as I love Alabama and the process, I might just puke if I have to watch another special on it. Alabama is the program and standard for football these days, being in the championship mix basically 6 of the past 8 years. Alabama has only had a few losses since 2008, but the majority of them have been to teams that won the national championship. The only team that has won a National Championship since 2008 without beating Alabama is Florida St in 2013. We can go back further, but I wouldn't say pre 2008 Alabama was an obstacle.

And the hate that all generates is likely to get a few votes against Alabama, but there it is.

There are plenty of other stats we could mention, winsepedia is also slanted towards Alabama last I looked.

Alabama has the head to head by a good margin, but I don't personally believe head to head means a ton when you don't play regularly.

Last edited:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the #1 reason why Alabama is the most obvious choice:

They are the only team in college football who is able to award themselves their own championships. All major selectors of National Championships are bound to get Alabama's permission before they award any championships.

The NCAA won't admit to it publicly, but ask any non-Alabama fan about Alabama's national championships and they'll tell you all about it.

:dhd:

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama gets my vote.

USC has the cheerleaders. But their fanbase is not there through thick and thin. For me passionate fans count, and Alabama has Michelle Pritchett.

When Bama Mom Meets Miley Cyrus, Magic Happens

Have you ever been to USC? Once you leave campus, you are in a war zone. It is scary just driving there.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama's got Phyllis too.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC has had the easier path to National Championships but can't even compare to Alabama.
The PAC didn't even have another All Time Top 10 Team in it.
Can you Imagine if ......
Alabama didn't have Tennessee
Ohio State didn't have Michigan
Oklahoma didn't have Nebraska or Texas.
What those teams would have done???

Well, thats what USC had, no counterweight.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do bull shit made up and claimed NC's add to the "Story" or are we just going by AP/Coaches/BCS NC's???

AP/Coaches/BCS + 4 Rose Bowls won on the field of play pre-AP = 14. Fuck you. Anyone voting for USC is retarded. Bama made pussy USC take their ball and run home to mommy in the 1946 Rose Bowl.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO@ the 11 retards(so far) that voted for USC. It's no contest on national accomplishments.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ask myself which team I would have had more good times over the years cheering for and it's Alabama by a hair. USC is a truly magnificent program but with more talent they have won fewer national championships and that's the small difference in Alabama's favor.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No knock on USC but for a long time there was no team that had the talent nor coaching to compete with them year in and year out. I mean, how many PAC teams are in this tourney? 3? And they pale in comparison to some of these other teams that aren't in it like West Virginia, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, TCU, hell even Missouri. At least in overall, anyway. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin in the B1G in intervals, in the Big8 and SWC you had Oklahoma who always had Texas and Nebraska, SEC Alabama had Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Ole Miss were always tough outings. The PAC12 never has really had 2 or 3 powerhouses consistently like the other conferences have, which is one reason, not the main reason, but one, why they have gotten to the Rose Bowl wayyyy more times than anyone else has.

On the wayside, Alabama in their prime never really won that many games against the other stories blue bloods, such as Texas, Notre Dame, Nebraska, or others. But they usually beat teams from out west in the PAC, and B1G teams. One reason is mainly because Alabama was behind formationally from everyone else, and has and always will be a defensive team. Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Nebraska were known for their outstanding offenses, more so than their defense. That's THE MAIN reason that Alabama has only one Heisman trophy winner, because we all know that award , with one lonely exception, is an offensive trophy. Hell we've had outstanding offenses in the past with great players, how else would we be leading everyone else in Super Bowl winning QBs? And let's not forget Ozzie Newsome, Bobby Humphrey, David Palmer, and Shaun Alexander. Let's throw in Don Hutson too, who broke and held NFL receiving records for decades after retiring. He was listed as a Top 10 player in NFL HISTORY... In the same ranks as Lawrence Taylor, Jerry Rice, and other greats by the NFL Channel. And he was an offensive player for Alabama, not defensive.

And whether claims are made by now or not, Alabama is OLine U. The track record is there.
And I'll end with this.

Football legend Vince Lombardi was asked what it felt like to be the greatest football team in the world just after winning Super Bowl I in January 1967. He said, "I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet."

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama gets my vote.

USC has the cheerleaders. But their fanbase is not there through thick and thin. For me passionate fans count, and Alabama has Michelle Pritchett.

When Bama Mom Meets Miley Cyrus, Magic Happens

Have you ever been to USC? Once you leave campus, you are in a war zone. It is scary just driving there.

I know Michelle Pritchett personally. I played high school football with her son. And...

WOOD.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO@ the 11 retards(so far) that voted for USC. It's no contest on national accomplishments.

th

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bamabino said:
1978. #1 vs #2 matchup Penn State vs Bama for all the marbles.

Which is still considered widely today as the greatest goaline stand of all time.

Or maybe that's a different season. Either way, the goaline stand was awesome.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: @Bama fans in here lobbying. In the spirit of that, I offer the following case in favor of USC:

The Bama fan meltdown will be epic if USC wins this. :heh:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you want to count Rose Bowl wins if you want to help Alabama . . .

Apparently our fight song didn't get the memo.

Are you sure you know Alabama's Rose Bowl history?

The record is 4-1-1 in favor of Alabama. And the last win was in 1946 against USC with a 34-14 win.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to read some homer posts before voting.