• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sportshoopla Top 25 week 4 discussion

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU beat Wisconsin
Auburn beat Kansas State
Ole Miss beat Boise State
Arkansas beat Texas Tech and NIU both convincingly
Alabama beat WVU

The only 2 schools that did nothing OOC are Mississippi State(who just beat LSU) and Texas A&M(who beat South Carolina who beat UGA and East Carolina)

I'm guess what I'm trying to say is that it IS a quality win. LSU still has to play 4 top 10 teams. They very well could finish 7-5. But that is still a quality win and should resonate with pollsters. You can't compare records when some teams play a much better schedule than others. You could argue that a 6-6 LSU team is substantially better than an 8-4 even 9-3 Pitt team.

So say Wisconsin goes 7-5, K State goes 6-6, Boise goes 8-4, TTU and NIU flop, WVU ends up 5-7. Are all of those still "quality" wins?? Hell beating Indiana may end up a better win than beating Wisconsin, beating OK State may be a better win than beating KSU, beating Nevada may be more impressive than beating Boise etc etc. I get what your saying about records but you are justifying calling something a quality win a 1/4 or a 1/4 of the way into the year and that is just guess work. Every year since CFB has started there have been MANY teams that were supposed to be good that ended up shitty and vice versa. There is no real way to tell. UGA got a big bumo by beating Clemson yet Clemson may be a 6 win team, Im just saying that rankings are great but we really shouldnt be bumping or downgrading teams HUGE amounts this early in the year based off of perceived quality of win

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So say Wisconsin goes 7-5, K State goes 6-6, Boise goes 8-4, TTU and NIU flop, WVU ends up 5-7. Are all of those still "quality" wins?? Hell beating Indiana may end up a better win than beating Wisconsin, beating OK State may be a better win than beating KSU, beating Nevada may be more impressive than beating Boise etc etc. I get what your saying about records but you are justifying calling something a quality win a 1/4 or a 1/4 of the way into the year and that is just guess work. Every year since CFB has started there have been MANY teams that were supposed to be good that ended up shitty and vice versa. There is no real way to tell. UGA got a big bumo by beating Clemson yet Clemson may be a 6 win team, Im just saying that rankings are great but we really shouldnt be bumping or downgrading teams HUGE amounts this early in the year based off of perceived quality of win

Meh, that's why we do a new one every week. Top 25 (or top 10) can correct itself. At the end of the year, we're not gonna be like "LOOK SO-AND-SO SHOULD BE IN THE PLAYOFF BECAUSE THEY WERE RANKED #3 IN WEEK 3!". If a team does not deserve its ranking, it will be shown on the field for the most part.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
having a top ten only is going to skew the poll. because all those teams voted in top ten only are going to have more votes. i have no interest in a top ten and the only people who seem interested are those that dont vote the top 25 now. someone already stated they have a top 10 thread go vote there.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those are good points. I was just more specifically talking about LSU and the SEC West. If none of them lose OOC that is pretty impressive and a team that ends up losing games, like 4 or 5 IMO is still a quality win. Quite honestly the entire SEC West could be ranked right now. If a team like Wisconsin ends up 7-5 I would say LSU beating them would be just an average win. If they lose 4 more games against this schedule: South Florida, Illinois, NW, MD, Rutgers, Purdue, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota, Wisconsin just isn't that good. However, I'd say at worst they are 10-2. But who's better, a 10-2 Wisconsin or an 8-4 SEC West team?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, that's why we do a new one every week. Top 25 (or top 10) can correct itself. At the end of the year, we're not gonna be like "LOOK SO-AND-SO SHOULD BE IN THE PLAYOFF BECAUSE THEY WERE RANKED #3 IN WEEK 3!". If a team does not deserve its ranking, it will be shown on the field for the most part.

Yes and no man. A team that bumps up a giant amount by winning an early season game vs a top 10-20 team never drops back down when the team they beat ends up 5-7. It just doesnt happen.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no man. A team that bumps up a giant amount by winning an early season game vs a top 10-20 team never drops back down when the team they beat ends up 5-7. It just doesnt happen.

In my formula it does, but I use reason, so yeah, you're right.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True...I try to take that into account when I do my poll, but everyone has some sort of bias, so you get situations where people leave a team ranked higher than they should be to make other teams look better. That's what makes the SportsHoopla poll so accurate (relatively) because we have a wide array of posters, so the biases usually cancel each other out.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my formula it does, but I use reason, so yeah, you're right.

LOL, word. Thats why I never got the HUGE push to get rid of the computers. They were the only part of the prior formula that made any consistent sense.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...I try to take that into account when I do my poll, but everyone has some sort of bias, so you get situations where people leave a team ranked higher than they should be to make other teams look better. That's what makes the SportsHoopla poll so accurate (relatively) because we have a wide array of posters, so the biases usually cancel each other out.

I agree and that is why I enjoy doing a poll and seeing the results. A top 10 would be boring, and like I said, pretty much consensus and groupthink. It would also get boring for those of us who's team aren't sniffing the top 10 anytime soon...:bawling:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In my poll, it does. Stanford has dropped from #16 to #21 the last two weeks largely because it's pretty clear that USC sucks. The would drop further if it wasn't for the fact that I do consider coach's reputation this early in the season, and Shaw has earned my respect. I agree that the general pollsters are bad at downgrading teams, but some of us here do a good job.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my poll, it does. Stanford has dropped from #16 to #21 the last two weeks largely because it's pretty clear that USC sucks. The would drop further if it wasn't for the fact that I do consider coach's reputation this early in the season, and Shaw has earned my respect. I agree that the general pollsters are bad at downgrading teams, but some of us here do a good job.

I think people HERE actually watch the games. Im not sure the same is true for coaches or writers. Most of them only follow teams in their own league ( if that ) and they certainly arent going to pebalize those teams as it helps make their league look better if they dont.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mutiger still has Missouri ranked :laugh3:

Yep….I think Mizzou just played a really bad game and Indiana actually played decent. I think Mizzou is not that much different than last years Mizzou team, except we are younger in a few areas.

We shall see….soon enough with South Carolina, Georgia and Florida the next 3 games for Mizzou.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
having a top ten only is going to skew the poll. because all those teams voted in top ten only are going to have more votes. i have no interest in a top ten and the only people who seem interested are those that dont vote the top 25 now. someone already stated they have a top 10 thread go vote there.

We'll keep the top 25 like it is without adding the 10 onlys, then I can use everyone's top 10 to make a separate poll if they want.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one thing we can agree on is appreciation for the hard work Crimson puts into this thing.:suds:

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more polls! They are an outdated system. I'll put together an objective committee.
Huwaryu, GoldenSpur, yourTEAMreallySUCKS, myself, and perhaps one more. Anyone seen Mo_Cutter around lately?

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more polls! They are an outdated system. I'll put together an objective committee.
Huwaryu, GoldenSpur, yourTEAMreallySUCKS, myself, and perhaps one more. Anyone seen Mo_Cutter around lately?

Only if you abstain from voting when the cocks come up. Wait a minute...:think:

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds to me like a lot of people just want to bitch about others people's polls but not put themselves up for criticism. A top 10 is pretty safe as it's usually pretty consensus for the most part but in a different order. Typical pussy behavior...:whistle:

actually, so far there are 20 teams voted in the "power 10".....42 teams in the top 25

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey ck...screw awbunn long live MUH Star Wars