• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year

NFL ROY

• Total voters

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everyone say Wilson has the most offensive talent around him and proceed to name one player? Wilson has easily the worst offensive supporting cast of any playoff quarterback. His O-Line is much worse than RG3's, and commits a ton more penalties than Luck. Luck has one of the best possession receivers in the league, and a rookie who always seems to be wide open for a TD once a game. Wilson's #1 WR was cast off from Minnesota because they thought Devin Aromashodu would be better.

If Russell's supporting cast was so amazing, how was Seattle 23rd in scoring with a better supporting cast last year? I think the answer is obvious.

Um, Marshawn Lynch. One of the best RBs in the league, defenses have to prepare for him and having him in the backfield for the Seahawks gives the Hawks more threats to use against opposing teams.

Also, looking at last year, Seattle was a better team than Colts and Redskins, and looking at Colts and Redskins talent, their talents are mostly rookies as well that surround their QBs. Besides Reggie Wayne at Indy (who is old.) Nothing against Wilson, what he has done is amazing, but what RG3 and Luck have done with their franchises is just a little bit more amazing.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, Marshawn Lynch. One of the best RBs in the league, defenses have to prepare for him and having him in the backfield for the Seahawks gives the Hawks more threats to use against opposing teams.

Also, looking at last year, Seattle was a better team than Colts and Redskins, and looking at Colts and Redskins talent, their talents are mostly rookies as well that surround their QBs. Besides Reggie Wayne at Indy (who is old.) Nothing against Wilson, what he has done is amazing, but what RG3 and Luck have done with their franchises is just a little bit more amazing.

^^^Don't forget Sidney Rice, one of the best possession receivers in the league.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^Don't forget Sidney Rice, one of the best possession receivers in the league.

Along with a STOUT defense to help Seattle whenever their offense isn't getting things done, this helps with the W column. Because even if Wilson had great numbers like he does, if he doesnt win games he isn't in this conversation.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pick is Luck. He set a rookie record for yards & led what was an absolutely horrible team last season to a playoff berth. The Seahawks & Redskins had more talent on their rosters than Indy. Luck also didn't have a running game to help him. He threw the ball over 650 times. In comparison RG3 only threw the ball 380. On Sunday RG3 only had 100 yards passing on 18 attempts. Morris & the OL were bigger factors last night. We saw how bad the Colts were without Manning last year. Luck certainly made a HUGE difference this season.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the elephant in the room which nobody is mentioning (though I did in the other thread) is that Russell did not have a whole offseason with his first string offense. After Week 5, when he adjusted to his team, he has been the best QB in the league this side of Brady, Manning, and Rodgers. That's the difference between Russell and RG3, who have very similar stats factoring the entire season.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2012 OFFENSIVE LINES

Seattle has the 4the best run blocking OL and the 20th best pass blocking OL. Better in both categories than Washington. 2 behind INDY in pass blocking but WAY ahead of them in run blocking. I'd say they have the best O-line.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Martin all 5 are fantastic rookies and would each deserve this award

after that I let my personal bias take over

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

As a Seahawk fan, I love what I see in Russel Wilson. The kid has been great but obviously, the team around him is far superior to the other candidates and that hurts his chances. We only look at the offensive supporting cast but you can't discount an elite defense and great special teams play from Leon Washington who consistently gives this kid good starting position.
My vote would go to RG3 slightly over Luck simply because of the turn-overs. I do think Luck will have the best career going forward of all of them. I kind of feel bad for Alfred Morris getting over-shadowed this year. That is a great story, too.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2012 OFFENSIVE LINES

Seattle has the 4the best run blocking OL and the 20th best pass blocking OL. Better in both categories than Washington. 2 behind INDY in pass blocking but WAY ahead of them in run blocking. I'd say they have the best O-line.

And yet the same site has Wilson as the #8 QB to RG3's #11 ranking in their signature stat.

PS: Sack percentage alone is not a good measure of O-Line strength, especially when the QB in question throws the ball away 3-4 times per game.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its amazing how everyone just Dismisses Martin.

He is the ONLY Person on this lost that lost 3 Starting OLinemen and 2 of them being Pro Bowlers.

Yet he still rushed for 1450+ yards.

But I am sure those QBs are even better if they lost a Pro Bow LG and RG as well as their Starting RT.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its amazing how everyone just Dismisses Martin.

He is the ONLY Person on this lost that lost 3 Starting OLinemen and 2 of them being Pro Bowlers.

Yet he still rushed for 1450+ yards.

But I am sure those QBs are even better if they lost a Pro Bow LG and RG as well as their Starting RT.

Alfred Morris ran for over 1600 yards for the Redskins this year & he was a 6th round pick. Certainly helped RG3 to have a running game. Something Luck didn't have.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck took a 2 win team to 11 this year, with very few other discernible roster moves, zero run game, and the worst defense in the league. He's got my vote.

RGIII, Morris, and Wilson all had very impressive years though

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went with Doug Martin because it seems easier to put up great numbers as a QB in today's game. That's why we have three great options there. Doug Martin came out of nowhere to be one of the best runners in the league.

A similar case could be made for Alfred Morris, but I don't see him as being the biggest reason for that offense to be doing well.

This is a tough decision because of how great this last draft class was. Any one is still deserving.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote would go to luck. RG3 is amazing to watch and he abolutely terrifies defenses, but at the same time I think Alfred Morris has a lot to do with his success. It's tough to stop him from running to the outside when there is the threat of the bulldozer going up the middle.

Russell Wilson has been as solid as you could ask for, but as has been stated Marshawn Lynch has been unbelievable.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck took a 2 win team to 11 this year, with very few other discernible roster moves, zero run game, and the worst defense in the league. He's got my vote.

RGIII, Morris, and Wilson all had very impressive years though

They have twelve new starters this year. How does that equate to "few other discernible roster moves"?

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't say Indy has "zero run game" either. Ballard has got better as the year has gone on, Moore is a decent back and Luck is strong and mobile. The Colts have a lot of rookies but they are pretty talented rookies.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck. Very tough circumstances to work through, did more with a lot less, navigated game winning drives like a seasoned vet. Put any other guy in his shoes and I don't think they get as far.

Perfectly stated. Luck with no close second for me.