• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla mock

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1z knows me a little too well.

1. Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
2. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
3. Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
4. DeVier Posey, WR, Ohio St.
5. Ronnie Hillman, RB, SDSU

THIS would end up being labeled the best 3rd day ever

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Greg Cosell had an interesting tidbit about Hill's tape speed not being what his combine track speed was. I didn't see any of his games but I wonder how scouts view him.

Would you take Jeffery if he was available in the second round at our pick?

I'm far from an expert on Jeffrey or the draft in general, but I would take him in the second. He's got great size, catch radius, and hands. He may not get very open, but he excels at attacking the ball in the air. And having slimmed down - if he keeps the weight off - he may actually get the separation he struggled to get in college. I think he presents pretty darn good value at 62, though I doubt he's still there.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Crimson, so you are HOPING that the weight loss helps his speed...that's a kinda big IF to me. If you can't keep your weight down AS A WIDE RECEIVER in college, knowing that you are being watched by the NFL, then when do you think he would conceivably do so?

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The flip side to that is in college there's an atmosphere of procrastinating, parties, and I'm the man feelings. When he gets to the NFL, the veterans can put a rook in his place and show him the work ethic needed to succeed. You do take the risk a la J Russell that Jeffery puts the time and effort to practicing his craft and keeping slim.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm far from an expert on Jeffrey or the draft in general, but I would take him in the second. He's got great size, catch radius, and hands. He may not get very open, but he excels at attacking the ball in the air. And having slimmed down - if he keeps the weight off - he may actually get the separation he struggled to get in college. I think he presents pretty darn good value at 62, though I doubt he's still there.

if a WR can't get "very open", i wouldn't draft him in the 2nd round. he may have other good skills to make him valuable, just not 2nd round valuable.

seems we already have these similar (not same) traits in Crabtree?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@Crimson, so you are HOPING that the weight loss helps his speed...that's a kinda big IF to me. If you can't keep your weight down AS A WIDE RECEIVER in college, knowing that you are being watched by the NFL, then when do you think he would conceivably do so?

yeah, don't know if its the case here, but some people just have certain body types? IF he has to fight a big battle with his natural weight, too tough a war over a career.

so not that i wouldn't draft him period, but the 2nd is high.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The flip side to that is in college there's an atmosphere of procrastinating, parties, and I'm the man feelings. When he gets to the NFL, the veterans can put a rook in his place and show him the work ethic needed to succeed. You do take the risk a la J Russell that Jeffery puts the time and effort to practicing his craft and keeping slim.

ok, to a certain extent, but a pro player should be self motivating.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Absolutely! Which his drop in weight shows he is a little self motivated. But maybe Moss, Manningham, J Smith can show him the NFL ethic ya know?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Absolutely! Which his drop in weight shows he is a little self motivated. But maybe Moss, Manningham, J Smith can show him the NFL ethic ya know?

Moss???

yeah the NFL ethic but again, only to a point.

what if his natural adult weight IS 245 lbs, can he diet all year over his 10 year career? cause IF this is the case, no amount of mentoring will keep his weight down.

self-motivation is a similar idea to above, if a player is only 10% self-motiviated, mentoring will help to a point. it'll get it higher than 10% but how much higher? motivation might even reach a high number, but for how long?

can't say Jeffrey himself is like this and can't say forget all these types period. but if there are red flags to start with, a 2nd is too high.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Moss has a sharp mode mentally. He also understand competition and team mentality (Patriot way) that we preach too.

The other things you mention I have no idea about, more something interviews could look into and past coaches.

Maybe it's a red flag but that doesn't mean he's not a second round talent.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if a WR can't get "very open", i wouldn't draft him in the 2nd round. he may have other good skills to make him valuable, just not 2nd round valuable.

seems we already have these similar (not same) traits in Crabtree?

Marques Colston doesn't get very open, but he makes plays. I don't know about you, but I would have taken him in the late second knowing what we know now.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Some guys excel in a pro program. I like Jeffrey in the late-second if he's no faster than he was in college. If he is faster, it's a bonus and could make him a steal. It's a pro day, so take it with a grain of salt, but his three-cone was fantastic. It could very well be that he realizes how much better he can be at his new playing weight and sticks there.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So there are "NFL caliber starting WRs" and "49ers caliber starting WRs," and the two are somehow different? Right now, I don't see this group as markedly better than they were last year. It's somewhat unlikely we'll have as many injuries, but WR is one of the few positions where we don't appear comfortably set in terms of starting-caliber players.

Specifically where would you rank WR as a need for this team? We're not a pass-happy team, but we need to be able to throw the ball better than we did last year. And given our limitations at QB, if anything I'd say we need relatively better WRs than teams with top QB talent. In terms of need, I don't see how a third or fourth safety, fourth CB, or fifth ILB tops WR in terms of needs. In terms of ILB, it's looking like we'll have Willis, Bowman, Grant, and Gooden at that spot. The starters are coming off all-pro seasons and both backups have quite a bit of starting experience. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a position that is less of a need this season for any team in the NFL.

Until Moss can prove he's back or Manningham can prove he's a #2 (and frankly, what we really need is a #1), we've got a big need at WR IMO.

Btw, Deep, no thoughts on the above?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marques Colston doesn't get very open, but he makes plays. I don't know about you, but I would have taken him in the late second knowing what we know now.

we'd all be briliant going with "knowing what we know now". is Colston the exception or the rule?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some guys excel in a pro program. I like Jeffrey in the late-second if he's no faster than he was in college. If he is faster, it's a bonus and could make him a steal. It's a pro day, so take it with a grain of salt, but his three-cone was fantastic. It could very well be that he realizes how much better he can be at his new playing weight and sticks there.

yeah, some guys can, but is this the norm?

again, not judging him specifically cause i don't know? but IF its this situation with weight and self motivation, a 2nd rounder is too high.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Btw, Deep, no thoughts on the above?

i did initially.........but then realized it'll be one of those LONG drawn out discussions which loses focus. then after a few pages of not reading what i write, we end up going in circles. :-)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, some guys can, but is this the norm?

again, not judging him specifically cause i don't know? but IF its this situation with weight and self motivation, a 2nd rounder is too high.

I guess we'll find out.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde is out of town, would anyone like to make a pick for him?