• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla mock

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To be honest, Brown scares me. Think we masked him as a weakness last year, but smart teams will try to isolate him and test him deep.

Regardless, if one of those guys gets hurt, we're stuck with someone like Brock right now. DB's can take a lot of time to develop and Carlos Rogers isn't a long term solution (unfortunately). We need to keep improving there, especially playing against all the top QB's next year.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i just can't stand picking players just because we have a roster spot open. even late day picks can be special team stars, so u don't wanna waste those either forcing picks.

baalke is off to a good start draft wise, hope he doesn't blow it forcing 'need 'picks

So your saying that next year and the year after that, there will not be a player that can fill the hole that might occur when this year's starter decides to leave or their skill deteriorate... I guess there are no more great players coming out next year, so the NFL should just get rid of the draft and just designate all of those college players that will enter the NFL in the future as Free Agents

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your saying that next year and the year after that, there will not be a player that can fill the hole that might occur when this year's starter decides to leave or their skill deteriorate... I guess there are no more great players coming out next year, so the NFL should just get rid of the draft and just designate all of those college players that will enter the NFL in the future as Free Agents

no, i'm just saying drafting for need is the wrong way to go. draft for talent with an eye on need. it's a reason why the steelers are so successful even tho they almost always draft in the 20-30 range every year.

they have their system and draft players to mold within their system. i'm hoping that's how baalke plans to run the show.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, Brown scares me. Think we masked him as a weakness last year, but smart teams will try to isolate him and test him deep.

Regardless, if one of those guys gets hurt, we're stuck with someone like Brock right now. DB's can take a lot of time to develop and Carlos Rogers isn't a long term solution (unfortunately). We need to keep improving there, especially playing against all the top QB's next year.

yup, with all the passing attacks and multi wr sets, having too many quality corners is better than not having enough.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And what happens if Goldson or Aldon get hurt?
The reasons the steelers are good is because they draft players to groom, they have depth at key positions. To me a high quality #3 OLB is better than a #4/5 CB.
Granted you make valid points about them having good years, however Cully should improve and Rogers has been consistent his whole career. He may not have 6 ints but he'll cover and play the slot in nickel.
But there's just as much reason to draft a DL to replace J Smith by your reasoning of well in 4 years he should be a starter. To me that's a late round development prospect, not a second round talent.
How many people have said Kaep should play soon, we didn't invest a second round pick for nothing. Yet you want to draft a CB in the second when there is quality in front of him.
I am by no means saying don't draft a CB, however, I'm arguing there are more pressing needs. And when players have equal talent, positions of need create greater value.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya the steelers draft players to groom, but they draft good players who fall to them. there isn't much depth at defensive line or safety outside of the 1st round. we might have to await until next year to address those positions.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure we have two starting-caliber WRs on the roster right now. Moss is unlikely to regain his prior ability, and Manningham has never been more than a #3. I think WR is still one of our top-two needs.

depends on what you mean by "two starting caliber WR's"? by NFL standards or by 49er standards?

clearly, we don't have two top individual NFL starters, but i'd think capable performance from this GROUP?

yeah, not expecting Moss to be in his prime, nor expect Manningham to become 'elite'. but use the strengths of the group, and they can provide enough "starting caliber" play. we're not a pass happy team anyway and why i mentioned "49er standards".

i'm more than fine if we draft a WR, but not sure its the second biggest need? if we go strictly on need (this year) the WR group is fine to me, but what about the CB group being we need a lot of nickel? Safety group? i'd even think about the LB groups, both inside and outside?

Snyder was our versatile linemen, who replaces him being we don't normally activate many linemen game days?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
depends on what you mean by "two starting caliber WR's"? by NFL standards or by 49er standards?

clearly, we don't have two top individual NFL starters, but i'd think capable performance from this GROUP?

yeah, not expecting Moss to be in his prime, nor expect Manningham to become 'elite'. but use the strengths of the group, and they can provide enough "starting caliber" play. we're not a pass happy team anyway and why i mentioned "49er standards".

i'm more than fine if we draft a WR, but not sure its the second biggest need? if we go strictly on need (this year) the WR group is fine to me, but what about the CB group being we need a lot of nickel? Safety group? i'd even think about the LB groups, both inside and outside?

Snyder was our versatile linemen, who replaces him being we don't normally activate many linemen game days?

So there are "NFL caliber starting WRs" and "49ers caliber starting WRs," and the two are somehow different? Right now, I don't see this group as markedly better than they were last year. It's somewhat unlikely we'll have as many injuries, but WR is one of the few positions where we don't appear comfortably set in terms of starting-caliber players.

Specifically where would you rank WR as a need for this team? We're not a pass-happy team, but we need to be able to throw the ball better than we did last year. And given our limitations at QB, if anything I'd say we need relatively better WRs than teams with top QB talent. In terms of need, I don't see how a third or fourth safety, fourth CB, or fifth ILB tops WR in terms of needs. In terms of ILB, it's looking like we'll have Willis, Bowman, Grant, and Gooden at that spot. The starters are coming off all-pro seasons and both backups have quite a bit of starting experience. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a position that is less of a need this season for any team in the NFL.

Until Moss can prove he's back or Manningham can prove he's a #2 (and frankly, what we really need is a #1), we've got a big need at WR IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As for Snyder, OG is the only position I would say is as big or more of a need than WR. But it's easier to find immediate-impact guards in the draft than WRs. Boone can back up all four exterior positions on the OL if need be, but we do need a backup center. I expect us to use at least one pick on interior OL, and probably bring in a FA.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde and Calamity are the next 2 up

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manningham has started 28 games over the past three seasons. So he can fill in as a starter in a pinch but yes WR is still a HUGE NEED. WRs tend to need time to develop, the consensus used to be they flourished in 3 years. The time is now to draft some, otherwise we'll be stuck signing more over the hill guys on 1 year deals hoping they pan out. Our WR group is down to Crabs, Manningham, KW at the end of this season. If that isn't enough to alarm you then I guess you want to wait until the following season.

We are loaded at CB imo. Brown and Culliver graded out very well last season. Rogers is locked up. Brock looked decent and we have Parrish Cox who has loads of talent. WR is a much higher priority imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manningham has started 28 games over the past three seasons. So he can fill in as a starter in a pinch but yes WR is still a HUGE NEED. WRs tend to need time to develop, the consensus used to be they flourished in 3 years. The time is now to draft some, otherwise we'll be stuck signing more over the hill guys on 1 year deals hoping they pan out. Our WR group is down to Crabs, Manningham, KW at the end of this season. If that isn't enough to alarm you then I guess you want to wait until the following season.

We are loaded at CB imo. Brown and Culliver graded out very well last season. Rogers is locked up. Brock looked decent and we have Parrish Cox who has loads of talent. WR is a much higher priority imo.

The 49ers have been unsuccessful for over a decade when it comes to grooming WR's. We still haven't had a 1,000 WR since TO. It's almost a curse at this point.

I agree that WR is a much bigger priority. We could always use another CB, but i am happy with the guys we got right now.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah I see WR, G, OLB, S, DL, CB as the positions targeted during the draft. Those are also the places where competition is needed and/or thin. I still could see us taking Fleener because Harbaugh sees him as an offensive weapon a la WR. Yet taking a WR in the 3-5 range. If Rueland develops Harbaugh would really have brought his "Standford TE" system with him! Haha

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Greg Cosell had an interesting tidbit about Hill's tape speed not being what his combine track speed was. I didn't see any of his games but I wonder how scouts view him.

Would you take Jeffery if he was available in the second round at our pick?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1z knows me a little too well.

1. Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
2. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
3. Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
4. DeVier Posey, WR, Ohio St.
5. Ronnie Hillman, RB, SDSU

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1z knows me a little too well.

1. Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
2. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
3. Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
4. DeVier Posey, WR, Ohio St.
5. Ronnie Hillman, RB, SDSU

Nice!:clap2:

We need a G next round Clyde or a DE. Go for BPA with your next selection with regard to those 2 positions of need. Hopefully the value is there.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice!:clap2:

We need a G next round Clyde or a DE. Go for BPA with your next selection with regard to those 2 positions of need. Hopefully the value is there.

Not if John Harbaugh has anything to do about it!!!!!

John out to screw Jim!!!! :painkiller:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Cosell had an interesting tidbit about Hill's tape speed not being what his combine track speed was. I didn't see any of his games but I wonder how scouts view him.

Would you take Jeffery if he was available in the second round at our pick?

For me, I probably wouldn't. 3rd rd i would go for it if no other prospect had fallen to mid 3s....