• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Hokie potential Offensive Coach Tracker

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the talent we get, it is pathetic that our offense isn't always in the top 50. No coach is guaranteed to succeed so I understand people being nervous, but at the same time, our offense can't possibly get worse. And with the supposed recruiting prowess that Grimes brings, this seems like a pretty good improvement.

I agree, but I think it will be more long term. The OL will determine if we can get a good running game going again, and it may be a while before the recruiting can pick up to sustain it.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but I think it will be more long term. The OL will determine if we can get a good running game going again, and it may be a while before the recruiting can pick up to sustain it.

Eh. We will just have to wait and see, but I think the recruiting for the most part has been pretty damned good. OLine recruiting has NOT been a strength in recruiting, but VT has had some decent O linemen. I think the struggles of the Oline is partly because they weren't super good, and the main thing is that the coaches (CN/BS) didn't know how to coach them up. Sometimes a fresh face and a new attitude does wonders for a group like that. VT has some good young linemen coming up. The key is to turn them into nasty big men..not gentle giants.

Still haven't heard anything 100% on the Grimes hire. I think that hire may be just as important as the OC hire.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I know its cliche or whatever but i think you will see a big difference in the guys currently on the roster when their minds arent tying up their feet so much.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't read this if you are gung-ho about Loeffler. This writer clearly takes a few jabs at Loeffler and VT.

"Virginia Tech isn't known for its offensive prowess. A hire like this might explain why."

Wow. Talk about a guy who apparently has an agenda. Just goes to show you that the naysaying doesn't stop when you change coaches. I look forward to Loeffler proving this clown wrong.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's certainly had some success at Temple, and with some quarterbacks in the past.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eh. We will just have to wait and see, but I think the recruiting for the most part has been pretty damned good. OLine recruiting has NOT been a strength in recruiting, but VT has had some decent O linemen. I think the struggles of the Oline is partly because they weren't super good, and the main thing is that the coaches (CN/BS) didn't know how to coach them up. Sometimes a fresh face and a new attitude does wonders for a group like that. VT has some good young linemen coming up. The key is to turn them into nasty big men..not gentle giants.

Still haven't heard anything 100% on the Grimes hire. I think that hire may be just as important as the OC hire.

I agree.

I think some new faces are going to help. I'm optimistic about these hires.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Loeffler doesn't seem like a lock to me as far as being a good OC but honestly I don't see how he could do worse. Grimes is more proven and I'd feel better about him. This year I don't think any OC could've gotten much out the offense with so many parts on the offense that couldn't block. Keeping Stinespring and adding 2 young SEC coaches surely has to improve the recruiting. If you look at the offensive coaches for 2012 at VT there's nothing there that says "you really need to play for me...look at what I've accomplished"

Last edited by a moderator:

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

From what I'm hearing, Grimes is a done deal as well.

... not sure if the WR coach is 100% nailed down though.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know its cliche or whatever but i think you will see a big difference in the guys currently on the roster when their minds arent tying up their feet so much.

I don't think that's Wangs problem. I just don't think he can handle the physical part either as he currently is. Maybe he was banged up all year with some hidden injury or something.

I don't know how these new coaches will do but their resumes look a lot better than the previous guys

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you look at the Newsome and Stinespring hires it's kinda scary that you've got a head coach making the decisions to put them where he did. And I'm pretty sure that Newsome didn't even play OL

Newsome

Playing Experience
Emory & Henry (1977-80)

Coaching Experience
1982 Ervington High School (defensive coordinator)
1983-84 Ervington High School (head coach)
1985-86 Phoebus High School (defensive coordinator)
1987-97 Kecoughtan High School (head coach)
1998 Heritage High School (head coach)
1999-01 James Madison (defensive line)
2002 James Madison (tight ends/tackles)
2003-05 James Madison (assistant head coach/offensive line)
2006-10 Virginia Tech (offensive line)
2011- Virginia Tech (guards/centers)

Stinespring

Coaching Experience
1986-88 Lexington High School
1989 Patrick Henry High School
1990-91 Virginia Tech (graduate assistant)
1992 Virginia Tech (director of sports programs)
1993 Virginia Tech (tight ends/assistant offensive line)
1994-97 Virginia Tech (tight ends/assistant offensive line/recruiting coordinator)
1998-00 Virginia Tech (offensive line/recruiting coordinator)
2001 Virginia Tech (assistant head coach/OL/recruiting)
2002-05 Virginia Tech (offensive coordinator/offensive line)
2006-10 Virginia Tech (offensive coordinator/tight ends)
2011- Virginia Tech (offensive coordinator/tight ends/tackles)

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
JMU had a very good and very dirty o-line during Newsome's tenure.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whatever. Let's try our best to forget about the past, and look to the future.

I like these new guys on paper. If they had a perfect resume, they likely wouldn't have arrived at our doorstep.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line that I would like to see this coming year, assuming we go to a mauler style and everyone is 10% healthy:

LT: Conte
LG: Arkema (made mistakes this year but was very aggressive, which I want)
C: Miller (man we missed him)
RG: Benedict (was not good in Newsome's line, but has the size/strength to maul)
RT: Shuman/Gibson (let em fight it out)

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line that I would like to see this coming year, assuming we go to a mauler style and everyone is 10% healthy:

LT: Conte
LG: Arkema (made mistakes this year but was very aggressive, which I want)
C: Miller (man we missed him)
RG: Benedict (was not good in Newsome's line, but has the size/strength to maul)
RT: Shuman/Gibson (let em fight it out)

Yikes. That's an unfortunate assumption :heh:

I know we've heard great things about Conte, but it's hard to believe we'll start a R. Fr at LT. Perhaps since he's had the least time with Newsome he will have the least to unlearn...

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, what else are our options at tackle?

I am not even sure Goins is still on the team, and he won't be starting. Gibson got moved inside for some reason. Shuman hasn't played at all.

Shuman (LT) and Gibson (RT) are the presumed tackles in training. Who knows though. Hopefully it will be an open competition.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson has been a guard the last two seasons though. Shuman has played 39 total snaps in clean up duty. Conte and Taraschke came in last year in the winter. I would almost bet we have a freshman at one of the tackle spots this year, and I would put my money on Conte.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It will be nice to have a center. Turns out that it's a fairly important position.