• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Speed or Size at WR

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is 49ers might trade up for Benjamin(who Im not a big fan of. Bad hands), or Mike Evans(My Fav player in this draft.)

Purguy, are these just rumors? Where did you hear this? I think both can be drafted with a trade in the mid-teens. It all depends if the Lions decide to go receiver or help in the secondary. Lions need another receiver opposite Johnson since they released Burleson.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other factor playing into this is that we could also stand to add a good return man.

On the other hand, we need size and great hands to cover for Kaepernick's innaccuracy as a passer.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this case it would be more on Roman than Kap and a sprinkle of the offensive line.

Kap's QB rating for passes 30+ yards is 125.8 and he favors throwing to the outside which is where a burner would be if we had him. Even an aging Randy Moss put some ok numbers up so I don't think it's a case where Kap would be unable to hit them.

It would fall on Roman because he would actually need to use a speed guy if we had him and when you run 2 TE, 2 RB, 1 WR sets they wouldn't getting on the field.

I say sprinkling of the O line because last season they weren't terrible at holding their pass blocking but it was still lackluster imo. And I thought part of the issue with the passing offense was we had too many slow developing routes and the offensive line couldn't maintain the blocks long enough for the play to properly develop.

When it comes to having a speed guy you have to look at the bigger picture other than just his catches and yards. You need to keep in mind the threat of speed causes defenses to back off a bit and if you combine a speed guy with VD you're going to pressure defenses and they are less likely to play things so tightly.

And as we saw most of the season and especially the Seattle game is our offense is screwed if they crowd the line and don't respect anything deep. It doesn't matter how many offensive lineman you throw out there if a defense crowds the line they're going to win that battle most of the time.

Excellent point. I forgot that kaepernick only uses the outside of the field.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purguy, are these just rumors? Where did you hear this? I think both can be drafted with a trade in the mid-teens. It all depends if the Lions decide to go receiver or help in the secondary. Lions need another receiver opposite Johnson since they released Burleson.

Yes these are rumors from Mike Barrows.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On the other hand, we need size and great hands to cover for Kaepernick's innaccuracy as a passer.

yes, it would help to have these tools for Kaep, but wouldn't focus on a sizable receiver for this reason. in the end, we should draft a WR based on HIS skills, how good overall is he?

a good WR will play well for any QB.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Size and Speed are both things you can't really coach, but with proper technique you can add quickness. You can never coach a guy to be taller though. I've always believe size and strength are far better attributes to have a WR than speed.

You also have to consider the Seahawks are the team we have to beat. You're not going to beat that secondary with speed. You need taller guys that can be more physical going after the ball to take it to them.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Size and Speed are both things you can't really coach, but with proper technique you can add quickness. You can never coach a guy to be taller though. I've always believe size and strength are far better attributes to have a WR than speed.

You also have to consider the Seahawks are the team we have to beat. You're not going to beat that secondary with speed. You need taller guys that can be more physical going after the ball to take it to them.

Speed is important too. Dont need world class speed but spmeone who can stretch the defense. The right combination of size and speed. Cant be an Al Davis and just draft the fastest guy. As far as Seattle goes, their secondary might not be the same in a couple of years.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We need both. Size guy to replace Crabs and/or Boldin in a year and speed to open things up and get explosive plays deep from someone other than Vernon.

Speaking of Vernon, I just realized he passed Brent Jones on the all-time receiving yards list by 6 yards this season. Didn't realize that happened.

:clap:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this will be a good offseason for us.