• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Speed or Size at WR

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument in the first paragraph just isn't convincing. If defending a team that uses smaller, faster receivers is that easy, why are other teams able to use them successfully? The Niners almost always call a run and a pass in the huddle, so we can check out of something if we so desire. Furthermore, pushing a FS deep on one side of the field is precisely the sort of defensive adjustment we are trying to create. That will open things up for the running game and for passes to our big, physical receivers and TEs. Again, if the system can't utilize smaller guys with speed, then we need to change the system.

Your logic of your second paragraph is worse still. Allow me to repeat it for the third or fourth time: no one is saying that they don't care about size. Those of us who prefer speed are simply saying that speed is more important to this team in this draft. If there is a guy who is 6'5" and runs in the low 4.4s, by all means let's get him. But all else being equal, I would prefer the guy who is 5'11", 190 pounds, and runs a 4.41 to a guy who is 6'3", 220 pounds, and runs a 4.55. I'd like to get one of each, but I'd target the speedy player first if I believe they are otherwise comparable players.

Well said Crimson. Just because the Niners struck out with Jenkins doesn't mean you stop looking for that particular need. I hope they draft two receivers especially since Crabtree becomes an unrestricted FA after this season. Here's hoping the Niners strike gold in the upcoming draft. :suds:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with say many picks as they have they can grab a WR with size and one with speed or just trade up and get Watkins. (I know we would have to give away our draft almost.)

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with say many picks as they have they can grab a WR with size and one with speed or just trade up and get Watkins. (I know we would have to give away our draft almost.)

I'm reluctant to trade that many picks for Watkins. I know you really like Evans and if he falls between the 15th and 20th pick, I hope the Niners consider trading up. It will probably cost the Niners their first, a second and a third. If Evans runs under 4.50 at the combine, I think he's a lock to go top 10.

I just looked at Moncrief's bio and he definitely has size. He weighs 225 lbs and is 6'3". Does anyone know where he is projected to be drafted?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In the draft simulator I think he was going in the mid 2nd.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It shouldn't cost all that. Remember we traded up from 31st to 18th & only gave up a 3rd.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't trust that simulator @ all. U got guys going all over the place. But it's fun 2 play around with.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry he's more like a bottome 3rd early 4th Rder on that thing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No I don't.. . But choosing a WR just because he is fast and not putting in to consideration how he will fit the system that how the Niners got AJ Jenkins.. He ran a sub 4.40 in the combine and could not even get playing time with the Niners...

NO ONE IS SUGGESTING THAT WE ONLY LOOK AT A GUY'S 40 TIME!!!

The question was which of two assets would you prioritize. That's it.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't cost all that. Remember we traded up from 31st to 18th & only gave up a 3rd.

Thanks dreday. Maybe another trade with the Cowboys for their 16th pick and give them the 30th pick and a 3rd rounder. It worked out great last year. Maybe Evans at pick #16.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would great for the Niners to land a receiver with size and speed like a Calvin Johnson or an AJ Green. But these kind of receivers do not come often and if one is available, he is usually drafted in the top 5. The Niners have Crabtree who has great hands, but is more of a possession receiver. He has adequate speed and has difficulty creating separation. Boldin, if resigned is an older version of Crabtree. I think the Niners need to go with a speed receiver like Cooks out of Oregon State. He's a burner which should help loosen up
Seattle's secondary. The big question will be if Harbaugh and Roman will know how to utilize this asset.

49ers need speed more than size from wide re - 02-18-2014

Siza and speed is optimal but in the 49ers' current situation I'd prefer adding speed over size because we aleady have Crabtree and Boldinwho have good size and strength. But its not Roman we have to worrry about not being able to use him, its Kaepernick. Kaepernick only sees a narrow portion of the field and has usually made up his mind where he is going with the ball just by the first look he gets from the defense..

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Siza and speed is optimal but in the 49ers' current situation I'd prefer adding speed over size because we aleady have Crabtree and Boldinwho have good size and strength. But its not Roman we have to worrry about not being able to use him, its Kaepernick. Kaepernick only sees a narrow portion of the field and has usually made up his mind where he is going with the ball just by the first look he gets from the defense..

agree it is Kaep more than Roman. I'm sure Roman can call all kinds of fancy smancy pass plays, but if the odds of execution are lower.....................

Kaep has room to grow as a passer, and we can only hope more experience "slows it down".

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree it is Kaep more than Roman. I'm sure Roman can call all kinds of fancy smancy pass plays, but if the odds of execution are lower.....................

Kaep has room to grow as a passer, and we can only hope more experience "slows it down".

I don't think Kaepernick has what it takes inside to work at the things he is not good at. He wants to get by on athletic ability. Getting all muscley and bulked up over the last off season did nothing to improve upon his weaknesses which have all been well-catologued here.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The other factor playing into this is that we could also stand to add a good return man.

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Kaepernick has what it takes inside to work at the things he is not good at. He wants to get by on athletic ability. Getting all muscley and bulked up over the last off season did nothing to improve upon his weaknesses which have all been well-catologued here.

You have always had a problem with Kaep and would look for any reason to blame him. There is in fact some evidence that the team offense is set up for him to go to his first read. They didn't want him to run because they were trying to protect him from hits. They had no one to back him up. Well if you hold the ball long enough you also take hits. They wanted him to release early. I will not get into it with you now but that will become more evident and settle itself out this next season.

As to the subject at hand the Niner's need to do everything they can to acquire a speed receiver this season preferably through the draft. I wouldn't even be that averse to trading most of the picks to move up to get Watkins. If they don't trade picks they will be wasted. They are going to have far too many quality players than they can fit onto the 53 man roster. They will just be picked off of waiver. They lost quite a few players that ended up being productive on other teams while the players they ended up with were mostly scrubs other teams didn't want. They will also need to make room for the players they red shirted and kept on injured reserve all through last year. What good are those draft picks going to be. Trade them and get the best receiver you can.

I wouldn't put out much hope in the Staffs ability to evaluate any receiving talent. Not only their picks in the draft but their inability to evaluated the talent they kept on the 53 man roster. They should have made a move to shore up the WR much earlier. AJ was a fool's errand from the beginning. It would have spoken better for TB if he would have just stated that he was taking a gamble on Jenkins in the hopes of getting a deep threat. Rather he was convinced that he had discovered a gem that everyone else had underrated. That is very disturbing because it speaks to his total cluelessness. They need to take a flyer on the top receiver out there. To heck with trying to get a steal or good deal. The importance to this team of a top speed receiver is so important that over paying should not be a deal breaker. A receiver like Watkins would transform the offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

In this case it would be more on Roman than Kap and a sprinkle of the offensive line.

Kap's QB rating for passes 30+ yards is 125.8 and he favors throwing to the outside which is where a burner would be if we had him. Even an aging Randy Moss put some ok numbers up so I don't think it's a case where Kap would be unable to hit them.

It would fall on Roman because he would actually need to use a speed guy if we had him and when you run 2 TE, 2 RB, 1 WR sets they wouldn't getting on the field.

I say sprinkling of the O line because last season they weren't terrible at holding their pass blocking but it was still lackluster imo. And I thought part of the issue with the passing offense was we had too many slow developing routes and the offensive line couldn't maintain the blocks long enough for the play to properly develop.

When it comes to having a speed guy you have to look at the bigger picture other than just his catches and yards. You need to keep in mind the threat of speed causes defenses to back off a bit and if you combine a speed guy with VD you're going to pressure defenses and they are less likely to play things so tightly.

And as we saw most of the season and especially the Seattle game is our offense is screwed if they crowd the line and don't respect anything deep. It doesn't matter how many offensive lineman you throw out there if a defense crowds the line they're going to win that battle most of the time.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In this case it would be more on Roman than Kap and a sprinkle of the offensive line.

Kap's QB rating for passes 30+ yards is 125.8 and he favors throwing to the outside which is where a burner would be if we had him. Even an aging Randy Moss put some ok numbers up so I don't think it's a case where Kap would be unable to hit them.

It would fall on Roman because he would actually need to use a speed guy if we had him and when you run 2 TE, 2 RB, 1 WR sets they wouldn't getting on the field.

I say sprinkling of the O line because last season they weren't terrible at holding their pass blocking but it was still lackluster imo. And I thought part of the issue with the passing offense was we had too many slow developing routes and the offensive line couldn't maintain the blocks long enough for the play to properly develop.

When it comes to having a speed guy you have to look at the bigger picture other than just his catches and yards. You need to keep in mind the threat of speed causes defenses to back off a bit and if you combine a speed guy with VD you're going to pressure defenses and they are less likely to play things so tightly.

And as we saw most of the season and especially the Seattle game is our offense is screwed if they crowd the line and don't respect anything deep. It doesn't matter how many offensive lineman you throw out there if a defense crowds the line they're going to win that battle most of the time.

Well said. I hope Harbaugh takes over some of the play calling duties. The league has figured out Roman.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The other factor playing into this is that we could also stand to add a good return man.

Brandin Cooks and Bradley Roby can both return kicks. Might be something the team looks at to put these guys over the top

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is 49ers might trade up for Benjamin(who Im not a big fan of. Bad hands), or Mike Evans(My Fav player in this draft.)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

a PUNT returner to be more specific. LMJ is more than capable once he catches the ball, but there was just enough 'bobbling' to consider someone else.

but I know it is easier said than done, if Baalke keeps LMJ, puts a lot of pressure on the roster.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a PUNT returner to be more specific. LMJ is more than capable once he catches the ball, but there was just enough 'bobbling' to consider someone else.

but I know it is easier said than done, if Baalke keeps LMJ, puts a lot of pressure on the roster.

LMJ really doesn't have a role on the Niners besides the return game. It's a crowded backfield with Gore, Hunter, Lattimore and Dixon. Maybe trade him to the Eagles for a 2015 fifth round pick and reunite him with Kelly.