• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sox-Moncada in talks for an extension

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they've signed away a lot of money based on hope. if one or 2 of these guys end up flopping it's going to hurt and reinsdork doesn't like to get burned.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UPDATE

Yoan Moncada was asked about the rumored extension talks Tuesday morning and unless he’s really trying to keep things quiet, there aren’t any discussions going on with the White Sox right now.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they've signed away a lot of money based on hope. if one or 2 of these guys end up flopping it's going to hurt and reinsdork doesn't like to get burned.

This is their best shot anyway...so they might as well if they can get it done. I HIGHLY doubt he signs right now though. You can tell dude is thinking he's going to be top 5 MVP this year (God knows everyone around him is parroting such talk)...so he's holding out for that big payday...

Could it backfire horrendously if this did happen? You bet your sweet ass it could. This dude could create a tornado with all his whiffs so if he has an extended slump, said slump is going to compound heavily in the W/L column as he'll be in the heart of our order killing us for the foreseeable future Adam Dunn-style. But in the end, we can't hang with the big boys unless we have a core to sign around and this is guy is probably our best shot to be the next big MVP quality player from within...so I'm not sure I'm that against taking a risk at this point.

The real problem about this team is we need to see them in an actual competitive environment. That just hasn't happened yet so it's impossible to reasonably assess what we have...but it appears we're counting those chickens anyway. Good times.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do not disagree. only suggesting that reinsdork is the type to fold up his tent and leave if things don't go as expected, trading away salary and cutting his losses and dropping his payroll back to $75M. i hope ALL these guys come thru.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish you'd guys would get rid of the black and white pinstripes.

Go back to the 1971-1975 stuff:
JPtKhZv.png

Last edited:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will sign - these things are all setup in advance. The Sox have played some social pressure into this - quite wisely I think - by leaving Moncada feeling left out with all the other young guys on the team with new contract extensions. Yes - he will get the biggest contract of the extension bunch (and be worth it). Giolito would be the next target.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will sign - these things are all setup in advance. The Sox have played some social pressure into this - quite wisely I think - by leaving Moncada feeling left out with all the other young guys on the team with new contract extensions. Yes - he will get the biggest contract of the extension bunch (and be worth it). Giolito would be the next target.
I agree. It's being reported that the talks are in the early stages, so nothing is imminent. But in matters such as this where numerous sites are reporting the possible extension - including the White Sox home page - it's often a case of where there's smoke, there's fire. Moncada is wisely sidestepping the issue, stating his agent is handling things and he's simply concentrating on playing ball. But his expectations that he'll be on the White Sox for "a very long time" pretty much says a deal is in the works. Who knows, it may fall thru, but if I'm a betting man, my coin is placed on an agreed extension....and a big one at that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish you'd guys would get rid of the black and white pinstripes.

Go back to the 1971-1975 stuff:
JPtKhZv.png

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a change. There's a few looks that the White Sox have rocked over the years that might be worth going back to.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that is really a good deal for the Sox. Even with the option year - it's under $100 million after 6 years.
Wow, don't know if this is yet confirmed, but Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the extension is worth $70 mil, with that extra option year making it a total of $90 mil.

I'm pleasantly surprised at this amount, assuming it's true. I was expecting a $100+ mil figure in all this.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, don't know if this is yet confirmed, but Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the extension is worth $70 mil, with that extra option year making it a total of $90 mil.

I'm pleasantly surprised at this amount, assuming it's true. I was expecting a $100+ mil figure in all this.

Now lock up some pitchers.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now lock up some pitchers.
You got that right buddy - starting with Giolito. Oh, and I know it's way too early in ST to conclude anything, but so far I like what I've seen from Cease.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some key names and their lengths of contract with the Sox as it presently stands:

— Through the 2021 season: Nomar Mazara, Carlos Rodon

— Through the 2022 season: Jose Abreu

— Through the 2023 season: Yasmani Grandal, Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez

— Through the 2024 season: Tim Anderson, Michael Kopech

— Through the 2025 season: Dylan Cease, Yoan Moncada (reportedly)

— Through the 2026 season: Eloy Jimenez, Aaron Bummer

— Through the 2027 season: Luis Robert

This is exactly half of a 26 man roster under team control anywhere from 2-8 more seasons. And notice we don't even have Madrigal or Vaughn listed here. Fascinating.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be nice to say Yasmani Grandal is no longer the highest paid player in White Sox history.

Less than $100 million will be a steal if this guy blows up considering some of these a-holes are getting $200 million plus...Of course, gotta wait and see as always. Still, this is for the best if our team is as good as we think it is as we'll have other money to spend in FA to build around these locked up young guys...so here's hoping.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some key names and their lengths of contract with the Sox as it presently stands:

— Through the 2021 season: Nomar Mazara, Carlos Rodon

— Through the 2022 season: Jose Abreu

— Through the 2023 season: Yasmani Grandal, Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez

— Through the 2024 season: Tim Anderson, Michael Kopech

— Through the 2025 season: Dylan Cease, Yoan Moncada (reportedly)

— Through the 2026 season: Eloy Jimenez, Aaron Bummer

— Through the 2027 season: Luis Robert

This is exactly half of a 26 man roster under team control anywhere from 2-8 more seasons. And notice we don't even have Madrigal or Vaughn listed here. Fascinating.

Fascinating indeed. This could explode for the good or the bad...Let's hope for the former.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fascinating indeed. This could explode for the good or the bad...Let's hope for the former.
There's always a roll of the dice when it comes to contract extensions, especially when they are young and really not long term tested. But on the other hand, it's nice to see so many players growing together and playing for the Sox for a decent number of years. I said a few months back that this roster is beginning to remind me of the Indians club from the 90's/early 00's, where they locked up a number of their young, key personnel with multi-year extensions. The Tribe never won a WS title with those rosters, but they did make it to the show twice and for years were considered one of the more dangerous teams in the game.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always a roll of the dice when it comes to contract extensions, especially when they are young and really not long term tested. But on the other hand, it's nice to see so many players growing together and playing for the Sox for a decent number of years. I said a few months back that this roster is beginning to remind me of the Indians club from the 90's/early 00's, where they locked up a number of their young, key personnel with multi-year extensions. The Tribe never won a WS title with those rosters, but they did make it to the show twice and for years were considered one of the more dangerous teams in the game.

We haven't made the playoffs twice in a row in our entire franchise history...It would be nice to have that not be true anymore. But we'll see. The NEW highest paid player in our franchise history averages 216 K's per 162 games and has never made the all-star game and it could be argued he's not even currently top 10 at his position (matter of fact, MLB.com decrees it). That's not your typical sports deal.

Bregman heads Top 10 third basemen into 2019

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We haven't made the playoffs twice in a row in our entire franchise history...It would be nice to have that not be true anymore. But we'll see. The NEW highest paid player in our franchise history averages 216 K's per 162 games and has never made the all-star game and it could be argued he's not even currently top 10 at his position (matter of fact, MLB.com decrees it). That's not your typical sports deal.

Bregman heads Top 10 third basemen into 2019
It's called betting on the come, which ties in nicely to my previous statement of rolling the dice. And remember, it cuts both ways. If Yoan busts, then he collects some major coin for a lot of years with insufficient production to show for it. But if he's the budding star the Sox and we fans are expecting him to be, that extension will have turned into a major bargain. Just gotta wait and see how it all unfolds. All I know is I'm psyched and looking forward to what will happen down the road.