• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

South Bend

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to a game this year and would like to know some good places. What are some things I have to do? Also is there any hotels real close to the stadium.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to a game this year and would like to know some good places. What are some things I have to do? Also is there any hotels real close to the stadium.

There is a Fairfield Inn right across from the stadium, but that is probably full or expensive, or both. There was a Marriott in downtown South Bend, but I think it's now a Holiday Inn. If you try early, you should be able to get a room not too far away. If you're coming a long distance, you should consider staying in Chicago. It's only about 90 miles away, there are a million things to do in Chicago, and for an afternoon game getting back at a decent time is no problem because you gain an hour going back to Chicago.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few hotels on campus, Ivy Court, Morris Inn(which is being beautifully renovated right now), and Inn at St. Mary's. These will be the most expensive for sure. But there are others all around South Bend and even Mishawaka(city next door).

Just do a hotel search to find the ones, but I can tell you that there is a Hilton, Residence Inn, Quality Inn, Fairfield, Holiday Inn Express, etc. all on US 31 which is right north of ND(and I mean RIGHT north of the campus). You could literally walk from there if you chose to. But there are many others all over, and you may need to search those as many of these hotels are already booked for those football weekends. There are even some off the Toll Road in Elkhart that would give you easy access to and from the game.

As for things to do, what exactly are you looking to do? I can give you some ideas and also ideas on great restaurants to eat at, just gotta give me an idea on how much you're willing to spend.

Btw, the majority of these hotels will be very pricey that weekend, even those further from campus.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes places to eat and I want to do the whole ND game day thing(what time does it start in mourning before the game.). Also any open tailgates?

Smirishth

Smirishth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will want to check out the tailgating events at white field for sure; the library and grotto are a MUST for any first timer.

The campus is absolutely beautiful and the architecture is unlike most college campuses you have been too before, make sure to try and see the team walk from the basilica as it is an event you won't want to miss.

When you get there ask around; most people will be more than happy to throw ideas at you; have a great time!

My first experience was at the Pitt game in october 2008 (longest game in Irish history) and it is something I will never forget!

God bless and Go Irish!

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will want to check out the tailgating events at white field for sure; the library and grotto are a MUST for any first timer.

The campus is absolutely beautiful and the architecture is unlike most college campuses you have been too before, make sure to try and see the team walk from the basilica as it is an event you won't want to miss.

When you get there ask around; most people will be more than happy to throw ideas at you; have a great time!

My first experience was at the Pitt game in october 2008 (longest game in Irish history) and it is something I will never forget!

God bless and Go Irish!

FYI, the team doesn't make the walk from the Basilica any more. They take a bus ride around campus, get dropped off at the Gug, and walk to the library, and then the stadium. Not quite the same as from the Basilica, but still fun. The band still marches around campus which is also fun to see.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Friday mornings before the game, you can walk down the tunnel to the field, it gives me goose bumps. Also, I would recommend the pep rally on Friday night. The Basilica is amazing and open for viewing most days. If you like art, the Snite Museum has some beautiful and significant art. Rocco's is a good old South Bend pizza joint, but gets really busy on game weekends. The sand dunes on Lake Michigan near South Bend are worth the short trip.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I would recommend the pep rally on Friday night.
Yep
The Basilica is amazing and open for viewing most days.
Yeah, just check the mass schedule. Otherwise, you must go in there. It is a sight to see. And the Grotto is just behind there.

Eddy St. Commons, which is just south of the stadium, has some nice bars and restaurants as well. Brothers is good, The Mark has some delicious food as well. There is also another bookstore there if you didn't want to go to the main one on campus.

As far as other dining places, there are plenty of choices both around the campus on US 23, but there are definitely some nicer places downtown SB. Trio's is a very, very good place to eat, and they have a jazz club attached, if you're into that. There is also a nice casual Irish restaurant/pub called Fiddler's Hearth. If you're not into spenidng atleast $100 on dinner and drinks, go there. Great food and wonderful atmosphere with live music(I recommend trying the Scotch eggs). But it can get packed, especially game weekends.

Here are some other places you may wanna check out, depending on your tastes/desires:
-Linebacker, college bar that's usually packed to the brim
-Corby's, another college bar that is much more fun than the Linebacker
-Blarney Stone, see above
-East Race, is a rapids area where kyaking takes place. They have a nice path around it for stroles.
-The Vine, restaurant for fine dining
-LaSalle Grill, same as the Vine
-College HOF is shut down and oved to Georgia, otherwise that would've been good
-Morris Performing Arts, they may have a show/concert that evening. I'd check their schedule when you figure out what game you're attending

There's much more, but this should get you started. And finally, if you simply want to eat the best pizza in the area, head to Barnaby's on Jefferson Blvd, just east of downtown. You won't regret it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys. Im so excited to go. I been a ND fan for 25 years and I'm happy to finally go. I had tickets one year to go and then I had personal issues so I had to sell them. Im going with my Wife. She would love to see the arts.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case your talking about food prior to the game, just about every dorm or club on campus sells burgers, brats, steak sandwichs and other stuff at various sites ariund the campus.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if you go to the University of Notre Dame website, under athletics, go to football, and they have a section on the game day experience. That gets updated before each game with new things that might be available.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For hotels, good luck getting a room on or close to campus unless u book with your gameday tix. US31 is chock full of hotels. If you didnt have a parking pass included in your tix, plan to walk a good distance to the stadium, but there are always parking passes to be had and you can find them online at most the selling websites like stubhub, ebay, etc.

Going to the pep rallies the Friday nite before game is a must do and I always then like goin over to Eddy St Commons to an Irish Pub/restaraunt called O'Rourkes. It's a blast there with Irish fans galore and big screens everywhere playing old Irish football games. It gets packed so good luck finding a table. I always like sitting outside along the street and whooping it up with the fans walking by. Me and my bro's always like to go to O'Rourkes on Friday nites. And ohhhh ... the Bookstore is right across the street from O'Rourkes where u can buy all kinds of ND memorabilia/jerseys/clothes under the sun!!! I would also be remiss if I didnt mention going to Tilted Kilt (in Mishawaka, the next town over). Nice "scenery" in that place and the food is awesome ... the Tilted Kilt is another place me and my bro's LOVE to hang out at and I'm sure any local would agree. :)

I would highly recommend getting a parking pass ... there are tailgates everywhere on Game Day with the cornhole games, beer drinking, brats sizzling on the grill at maximum pace. There is nothing like going to an ND football game ... enjoy the experience dude!!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went years ago with my father. It was quite some time ago but I remember we got there quite early and there was some sort of Hall of Fame type building with a bunch of Notre Dame History and photos and displays. It was really cool. I don't remember the name of building but it was back when Bob Davie was coach so that tells you how long ago it was. That Hall of Fame type building was a lot of fun visiting and made the trip that much more memorable. I am certain you all probably know exactly where I mean.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went years ago with my father. It was quite some time ago but I remember we got there quite early and there was some sort of Hall of Fame type building with a bunch of Notre Dame History and photos and displays. It was really cool. I don't remember the name of building but it was back when Bob Davie was coach so that tells you how long ago it was. That Hall of Fame type building was a lot of fun visiting and made the trip that much more memorable. I am certain you all probably know exactly where I mean.

This was probably at the Joyce Center. In the area between the basketball and old hockey arenas on the second floor there are a bunch of pictures and trophys from ND's history. The Joyce center is just across from the stadium.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that was it. When you said it was on the second floor that seemed to trigger my memory. Sounds like that was what I was thinking about. We played Baylor that day. Been a long time since we have played them. I was never much of a Bob Davie fan but actually didn't mind him as an announcer.

FightinIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Previous posts have given you plenty of ideas to make for a busy weekend but I suggest that you walk around the stadium and see the statues of coaches from the past. Also, allow a little extra time before the game to walk around the outer part of the inside of the stadium. This is sort of a hall of fame area with walls that recognize Notre Dame's greatest football players.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First thing you do is get your beer REALLY cold the day before, but don't freeze. Game day morning put that case in a doubled up plastic sack. Then put that sack in a waterproof backpack. Fill the backpack with ice leaving yourself space to pull a cold one. Proceed to just walk around and enjoy the hell out of it. Get there at least four hours prior to game time, 10:30am for a 3:30pm start for me.

Night before dinner I usually go to Between the Buns (big blue drink!!!) or Brunos for pizza. Politos is nice too, Barnaby's overrated imo.

Enjoy, hope this helps.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Night before dinner I usually go to Between the Buns (big blue drink!!!) or Brunos for pizza. Politos is nice too, Barnaby's overrated imo.

It takes a secure man to order a "Papa Smurf" during football season.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It takes a secure man to order a "Papa Smurf" during football season.

Is that the name of it, couldn't remember? Everybody in that place seems to be drinking one.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First thing you do is get your beer REALLY cold the day before, but don't freeze. Game day morning put that case in a doubled up plastic sack. Then put that sack in a waterproof backpack. Fill the backpack with ice leaving yourself space to pull a cold one. Proceed to just walk around and enjoy the hell out of it. Get there at least four hours prior to game time, 10:30am for a 3:30pm start for me.

Enjoy, hope this helps.

LOL NDKane and the Papa Smurf ... my cousin always gets them, too. You go to the one in Granger (BTB)? I also love going to Buffalo Wild Wings (B-Dubs) on Grape Rd, also.