• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah I don't know about that one.

I don't believe he had interest in the job when it was open a couple years ago and it would also put him in the same exact division as his brother which was rumored to be one of the reasons he wanted to avoid the AFC.

Guess I would need to hear more about it before I believe it.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport:

In response to report on #Browns nearly trading for Jim Harbaugh, #Niners source calls it “completely false. Ridiculous.”

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any truth would've been huge mistake can't even believe something like this was considered. I call BS no way you trade a coach who turned franchise around that quick.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure wouldn't make much sense. Why would you want to go from an organization you helped build back up to a SB contender to a complete new re-start? He was born in Ohio, but SF is a much nicer place to live compared to Cleveland.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport:

In response to report on #Browns nearly trading for Jim Harbaugh, #Niners source calls it “completely false. Ridiculous.”

Ian Rapoport:

@ProFootballTalk it’s actually two high-ranking Niners sources, to be specific

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport:

Ian Rapoport:

@ProFootballTalk it’s actually two high-ranking Niners sources, to be specific

Matt Maiocco:

The 49ers are expected to have an official statement shortly on the @pft report that Jim Harbaugh was nearly traded to Cleveland Browns.

I bet I could write what their response is going to be and get pretty close.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still possible if the commissioner OKs the request.

If requested, they should do what Stern did when Chris Paul was being traded to the Lakers, he ixed it. Now, that was partly done because the NBA had ownership temporarily of the Hornets at that time and it wasn't deemed as adequate compensation. But it still symbolized, don't do this, New Orleans. Goodell should have saved Harbaugh from the Browns if this ever came to fruition.

Draft picks are draft picks and are valuable, but we got draft picks (yes, I know, some are seventh rounders). You want fifty dollars? Nah, I already have fifty dollars. ;)

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twitter fight between Rapoport and PFT is rather amusing.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Maiocco:

The 49ers are expected to have an official statement shortly on the @pft report that Jim Harbaugh was nearly traded to Cleveland Browns.

I bet I could write what their response is going to be and get pretty close.

I bet you are the person who writes it. Just kidding, you do seem pretty insider.

I believe these officials Rapaport reports, but that's because it is ridiculous, not because they said it was. They said we had no interest in Manning. They had their reasons. They would also have reasons to hide this if true. But I don't think it is.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm starting to get the feeling that the Browns "leaked" this so they could say "Hey we really did do everything in our coaching search and we almost got a top notch coach."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to get the feeling that the Browns "leaked" this so they could say "Hey we really did do everything in our coaching search and we almost got a top notch coach."

I thought Harbaugh leaked it to make the Niners do Sanchez control. You know, pay a lot right now to show support. ;) However, Harbaugh would be more worth it, it would be more deserving and pressing, and the Jets pursuit was public and not hidden.

Imagine how crazy this would be if the trade was "made" and the league nixed it?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The Twitter fight between Rapoport and PFT is rather amusing.

I did have to laugh at PFT basically calling Rapoport a liar when it's not like they are even naming where there "multiple sources" are coming from.

At least Rapoport is saying it's coming from 2 high ranking 9ers sources.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok thanks for the clarification.

And if anybody still needs a known, credible name that knows the rules, Greg Aiello (NFL spokesman) just confirmed that teams can trade head coaches.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My first thought was "crazy nonsense". But after pondering it for a few minutes......maybe it would be worth considering (leaving aside the legality). Some of your more intense coaches have a history of burnout - they both burn themselves out and the message to the players gets less effective. Harbaugh maybe its even more pronounced because maybe he burns bridges with other staff as well.

If he's going to be your coach for at least 5 more years, have some Belichick-type reign, then there's no way you do it, they won't find someone half as good. But if they think he only has a few more years before moving on then I could see it......not necessarily like it but see some logic. Maybe go get David Shaw to adequately operate Harbaugh's system once again.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unnamed 49ers source denies report of near Harbaugh trade to NFL Media | ProFootballTalk

If it’s false, why not say so on the record? That’s because, frankly, it’s not false.

We’ll continue to wait for the 49ers to respond to our request for comment. Or for the 49ers to issue an actual press release denying the story. Without using someone from the league-owned media network to perpetrate a version of reality that isn’t accurate.

We can’t blame the 49ers for trying to call the story false. But their desire for the story to be false will never make it false.

Also, if you're new to football, the Browns not really saying anything about this is not surprising. 49ers sources speaking to and denying this to people connected to the NFL is not surprising. And PFT, who had the scoop first, saying what they're saying right there is not surprising either.