• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources: 49ers in process of granting Shawntae Spencer permission to seek a trade

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If I had to guess what happened it's that the Niners told Spencer they would not be paying him 3+M next year, but told him what they would be willing to pay.

They then grant him permission to seek a trade, which allows him to negotiate contracts with other teams. If he can find a better deal elsewhere, he'll be released. If he can't, he likely takes the new contract with SF.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams know the we'll eventually release Spencer. No one is trading for him.

Couldn't that same argument be made for Taylor Mays? Teams pretty much knew we would be dumping him eventually as well. I guess Spencer's contract makes that less likely, but still.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Couldn't that same argument be made for Taylor Mays? Teams pretty much knew we would be dumping him eventually as well. I guess Spencer's contract makes that less likely, but still.

Mays was also much younger and still had (has) the potential to be something. It is worth a 7th round pick in that case to get a guy with the measurables of Mays after just one year in the league where a new coaching staff doesn't want him.

Spencer is 8 years in and is on the decline. I don't see teams willing to take a risk on him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully we can get a late round pick for a guy who was going to be cut anyways!!

if i was a GM and someone called me for spencer i'd offer an 8th round pick

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spencer is better than Brock, so if he restructures I'd like him to stay.

Though I'd put the chance of Spencer restructuring at a mighty 2%.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, the same argument can't be made for Mays. Not nearly the same situation.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teams know the we'll eventually release Spencer. No one is trading for him.

true, if other teams don't value him either, they'll let him get cut.

but there MAY be a few teams seeking vet depth, you never know? Spencer isn't starting caliber but might be a good back-up on another team? similar to when we added Will Petersen (believe that was his name?) a few years ago.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true, if other teams don't value him either, they'll let him get cut.

but there MAY be a few teams seeking vet depth, you never know? Spencer isn't starting caliber but might be a good back-up on another team? similar to when we added Will Petersen (believe that was his name?) a few years ago.

I disagree. Spencer still has the talent to be a #2 CB in the NFL. Well, at least I believe so from the last point where he was seeing significant playing time.

Although that still doesn't mean any GM will be stupid enough to trade for a player that for all intensive purposes is about as useful to his team as a cracked helmet.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The raiders could use him...A second round pick and a bag of footballs

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mays was also much younger and still had (has) the potential to be something. It is worth a 7th round pick in that case to get a guy with the measurables of Mays after just one year in the league where a new coaching staff doesn't want him.

Spencer is 8 years in and is on the decline. I don't see teams willing to take a risk on him.

I suppose that's true, but at least Spencer has proven in the past that he can be a starter. I agree with you, though.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only teams that might be stupid enough to actually give us a pick would be the bungles and the faiders

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree. Spencer still has the talent to be a #2 CB in the NFL. Well, at least I believe so from the last point where he was seeing significant playing time.

Although that still doesn't mean any GM will be stupid enough to trade for a player that for all intensive purposes is about as useful to his team as a cracked helmet.

how can he be a true #2 CB, ie starting caliber, and have no GM interested in him? are all 31 NFL teams set at both CB spots?

if he's a #2 CB, why would WE give him up? wouldn't he be OUR #2 starting CB?

if he trully is a #2 CB, then someone will trade for him. because a team in need of a starting CB won't wait till he hits the open market, no guarantee you can get him then. a team that needs a starting CB will surely give up a draft pick, might be a 7th, conditional 6th, or something low?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wasn't OUR 2nd CB this year. Or 3rd. Or even 4th.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we got something for Kentwan Balmer I'll hold out a little hope for miracles. As long as Scott McCloughan exists we have a chance!

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So has Ahmad Plummer. Think there's a market for him?

True, but we didn't see the decline in Spencer's play because he wasn't on the field. Other teams don't know exactly how much his play has dropped.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True, but we didn't see the decline in Spencer's play because he wasn't on the field. Other teams don't know exactly how much his play has dropped.

They know it dropped enough that when we were playing the Saints and the Giants in the playoffs he wasn't even dressed instead choosing to go with a 3rd round rookie (Culliver) and a 2nd year undrafted player (Brock).

They may read between the lines.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They know it dropped enough that when we were playing the Saints and the Giants in the playoffs he wasn't even dressed instead choosing to go with a 3rd round rookie (Culliver) and a 2nd year undrafted player (Brock).

They may read between the lines.

True, but we weren't able to see how much his play dropped. I actually would have rather seen Spencer dress out than Brock. Plummer's terrible play was actually visible on the field. I don't actually expect Spencer to get traded, Just wishful thinking.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True, but we weren't able to see how much his play dropped. I actually would have rather seen Spencer dress out than Brock. Plummer's terrible play was actually visible on the field. I don't actually expect Spencer to get traded, Just wishful thinking.

He won't get traded. I already explained the reason he was granted permission.

However, there is a reason he was not dressed and Brock was. The coaches that watched these guys all season chose Brock.

Not only that, but they chose to only activate 4 CBs against the Saints and Giants rather than activate Spencer. That, to me, speaks volumes.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't get traded. I already explained the reason he was granted permission.

However, there is a reason he was not dressed and Brock was. The coaches that watched these guys all season chose Brock.

Not only that, but they chose to only activate 4 CBs against the Saints and Giants rather than activate Spencer. That, to me, speaks volumes.

Agreed. Jeremy Lin wasn't played either. I'm exaggerating obviously. I see your point.