• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sounds like Kevin Love is staying in Cleveland

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think that landing the #2 pick and the prospect of landing Okafor or Towns has pretty well stopped the Love to the Lakers talk.

As it should.

Hey, do you consider Monroe a PF or Center?

I always assumed he was a 5 and thought he played the 4 next to Drummond out of neccessity.

So, I'm surprised to see him listed, frequently, as a PF.

Guess I didn't watch enough Piston games.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't that be 4 max players , or
very close to it if you include Tristan?

How's that going to work?

I don't know how that Tristan thing is gonna work.

Rumor has it he will receive some hefty offers in Free Agency.

The Cavs gonna pay both when they might have to pay Smith * player option *, Shump * qualyfying offer * this Summer too and Timo next year?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how that Tristan thing is gonna work.

Rumor has it he will receive some hefty offers in Free Agency.

The Cavs gonna pay both when they might have to pay Smith * player option *, Shump * qualyfying offer * this Summer too and Timo next year?

James isn't letting him leave.
So lets just estimate and round off.
James, Love, Tristan, Kyrie=80M,
THEN:
Varejao=!0
Miller (play option)=3
Shump/Moz/Delly =10

so, that's 103M in 9 players without figuring in Smith.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brendan Haywood and Varejao are killing the cavs contract wise

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brendan Haywood and Varejao are killing the cavs contract wise

Haywood is a team option.
Obviously they aren't going to pay him 10M.

They could trade his expiring contract to some team looking to clear space for next year, but then that's another salary Gilbert will have to pay + the taxes on.

I would imagine James will pressure him into making that type of a move, without even having to say a word, while he is watching F.A. play out after he opts out.

Gonna be a fun couple of weeks watching Gilbert be his puppy.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I always assumed he was a 5 and thought he played the 4 next to Drummond out of neccessity.

Do you consider Duncan at PF or Center? Clearly, Monroe is not as good, but a similar type of game. Could play either depending on what else you put in the front court. He's not going to be a PF who stretches the floor though.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well why go through free agency then? Not saying that he won't stay, but every player gives the political answer during the last year of his contract. Also, he moreso just danced around the answer, than saying that he would be back.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you consider Duncan at PF or Center? Clearly, Monroe is not as good, but a similar type of game. Could play either depending on what else you put in the front court. He's not going to be a PF who stretches the floor though.

That comparison puts it into perspective for me clearly.

So, Thank You.

I thought he was a 5 who was playing out of position.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James isn't letting him leave.
So lets just estimate and round off.
James, Love, Tristan, Kyrie=80M,
THEN:
Varejao=!0
Miller (play option)=3
Shump/Moz/Delly =10

so, that's 103M in 9 players without figuring in Smith.

Damn....that's BRUTAL.

But, at least this group made the Finals.

My Clips will be worse if they sign DeAndre and they still won't sniff the Finals if the Warriors stay intact, The Spurs land Aldridge, the Griz keep Gasol or the Thunder get Healthy.

That's alot of coin for a perennial 2nd round out.

Thank Goodness my Owner has deep pockets.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in God's name would he answer the question any diffrently?

Even the most brutally honest and stupid NBA player would answer the same.
He is still under contract until he opts out.
Heck, he would literally be lying if he answered it any other way.

That is free agency 101 on how to answer the question.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where people are getting their numbers at all in this thread

Cav's are in fine shape cap wise. In fact there isn't a team in the league better positioned to take advantage of this exploding cap space then them.

The only thing that could hurt them is if a team makes an offer to either Delly or Thompson this offseason when they are RFA. Really only Delly would probably listen to any offers. Thompson is just going to take the qualifying offer and wait another year and hit the FA market when the cap jumps to 100M+ in 2017.

This coming offseason is going to be stupid. No one is going to sign anything more than a 1 or 2 year offers. That actually plays right into the Cav's hands as they can use their exceptions to bring in another good role player or two that they then can sign in 2017 long term after they own bird right's on them.

They'll likely spend around $95M this coming offseason (when the cap is likely to be around $85M) and they will be in position to spend $130M and maybe even more in 2017 when the cap is north of $100M. They will be one of the few teams in position to go OVER the cap in the next couple of years when most teams will be restricted to spending up to the cap because the Cav's will have so many young player who they own the Bird's rights on.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That probably is correct, but why would he want to leave.

Correct me if I'm wrong: He will get the max, his team will be playing in the Finals without him (says a lot of whats around him), and he is now injury prone (why would another team want to take a chance maxing him out).

And if somehow the Cavs can win it, not favored, he will have a ring only playing in 3 postseason games in his ENTIRE career lol.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people haven't realized it yet, whatever Love decides to do here will be what he and the Cav's agreed to do a year ago when they were trading for him.

Love either agreed to pick up his option this coming season before that trade was made or the Cav's agreed to have him opt out and give him the max this offseason.

Either way Love is a Cav in 2016 due to the wink-wink backroom handshake deal that was made when that trade was going down.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically: nothing has changed.

Love has repeatedly said his plan is to stay in Cleveland. He's never said or done anything to indicate otherwise.

Everything is just speculation... which is fine, cause like other's have said... a player saying he's staying doesn't make it so.

BUT... so far all concrete signs point to him staying.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where people are getting their numbers at all in this thread

Cav's are in fine shape cap wise. In fact there isn't a team in the league better positioned to take advantage of this exploding cap space then them.

The only thing that could hurt them is if a team makes an offer to either Delly or Thompson this offseason when they are RFA. Really only Delly would probably listen to any offers. Thompson is just going to take the qualifying offer and wait another year and hit the FA market when the cap jumps to 100M+ in 2017.

This coming offseason is going to be stupid. No one is going to sign anything more than a 1 or 2 year offers. That actually plays right into the Cav's hands as they can use their exceptions to bring in another good role player or two that they then can sign in 2017 long term after they own bird right's on them.

They'll likely spend around $95M this coming offseason (when the cap is likely to be around $85M) and they will be in position to spend $130M and maybe even more in 2017 when the cap is north of $100M. They will be one of the few teams in position to go OVER the cap in the next couple of years when most teams will be restricted to spending up to the cap because the Cav's will have so many young player who they own the Bird's rights on.

How are they going to spend around 95 when I just showed you around 103 in 9 players?
That doesn't even include Smith or Haywood.

It's just funny, because Gilbert was the biggest proponent against exactly what he's being forced to do now back in 2010.

This next lockout potentially could get brutal.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they going to spend around 95 when I just showed you around 103 in 9 players?
That doesn't even include Smith or Haywood.

It's just funny, because Gilbert was the biggest proponent against exactly what he's being forced to do now back in 2010.

This next lockout potentially could get brutal.

Because none of what you showed is even in the neighborhood of being accurate.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Cleveland Cavaliers

NBA salaries are completely structured. Even if Love opts out, he can't make more in 2016 than what he is already scheduled to make. Irving being young too has a contract that is stuck around $16M for next year as well (the one not listed). Younger guys can't make as much as older guys. Just how the system works.

And the rest of the guys are all stuck on qualifying offers. And like I said, no one is going to be all that likely to accept an offer on the open market this season because they can get more next offseason when the cap jumps another $20M. So guys like Thompson, Delly, and Shumpert will be playing under their qualifying offers most likely.

Just do the math on what is there and you will see the Cav's have 11 guys under contract (assuming Miller opts in) for around $90M. I assumed they would mid-level someone which would put them in the $95 range.

And hell they can go well above that if they wanted to anyway. The cap is going to be around $85M so they can go up to about $105M payroll before they start to run up against the tax threshold.

Also going to be interesting to see what they do with Haywood. It gives them the flexibility to add even more to their payroll if they really wanted. I assumed last year before they got Mosgov that they would go after Jordan on the FA market (didn't think Jordan would get to full max level either) using the Haywood contract to absorb most of the deal in a S&T. That is out of the question....but they still have that non-guaranteed Haywood deal as a REALLY powerful chip if they wanted to add another really good player in a trade.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it should.

Well, he's 6'11" 250, so he has center size. Most seem to have him listed as a Forward/Center, so it looks like he can play either position depending on what the team needs.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because none of what you showed is even in the neighborhood of being accurate.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Cleveland Cavaliers

NBA salaries are completely structured. Even if Love opts out, he can't make more in 2016 than what he is already scheduled to make. Irving being young too has a contract that is stuck around $16M for next year as well (the one not listed). Younger guys can't make as much as older guys. Just how the system works.

And the rest of the guys are all stuck on qualifying offers. And like I said, no one is going to be all that likely to accept an offer on the open market this season because they can get more next offseason when the cap jumps another $20M. So guys like Thompson, Delly, and Shumpert will be playing under their qualifying offers most likely.

Just do the math on what is there and you will see the Cav's have 11 guys under contract (assuming Miller opts in) for around $90M. I assumed they would mid-level someone which would put them in the $95 range.

And hell they can go well above that if they wanted to anyway. The cap is going to be around $85M so they can go up to about $105M payroll before they start to run up against the tax threshold.

Also going to be interesting to see what they do with Haywood. It gives them the flexibility to add even more to their payroll if they really wanted. I assumed last year before they got Mosgov that they would go after Jordan on the FA market (didn't think Jordan would get to full max level either) using the Haywood contract to absorb most of the deal in a S&T. That is out of the question....but they still have that non-guaranteed Haywood deal as a REALLY powerful chip if they wanted to add another really good player in a trade.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong on 3 of the 4 players.
The only one locked in is Kyrie.
Both James and Love will opt out and get a 1 year max.
Tristan isn't taking 7M. It's speculated that he's going to get a max or near max offer.
Forget the qualifying offer. He already turned down 13M, months ago.

My math says those 4 add up to around 80M.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That probably is correct, but why would he want to leave.

Correct me if I'm wrong: He will get the max, his team will be playing in the Finals without him (says a lot of whats around him), and he is now injury prone (why would another team want to take a chance maxing him out).

And if somehow the Cavs can win it, not favored, he will have a ring only playing in 3 postseason games in his ENTIRE career lol.
I think you're right even though what players say usually do not say what they intend to do and are often less than truthful. It's also possible, however that Cleveland looks else where if Love wants a max contract. Due to his being so injury prone, he is a high risk and if Cleveland were to win without Love, they are going to be embolden to think that he is expendable. Anything is possible really