• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sorry to twist the daggar.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the clarification.

I hear you as well - eventhough I live closer to San Jose than I do with Catalonia, if the Earthquakes were to ever play FC Barcelona in a friendly here in the bay area, I'll be wearing my Catalan colors with pride and rooting for my team to show no mercy with the bay area team. Anyone can choose a good team, but having ties with a team for cultural reasons and going through seasons of not having championships makes it sweeter when your squad finally raises from the dead and emerges in their respective sport, similar to what the 49ers and Giants are doing right about now. Of course, the 49ers fell short this year, but...

If you have a good reason, sure. And if you root for the local team when they don't play your cultural team, then sure. But I get upset when people who have no ties to the teams they root for when they have a local team. I don't understand it when they do so when the local team is good. No satisfaction. These guys weren't Bulls fans, they were Lakers fans in Utah when the Jazz were winning. Is winning not good enough for them? I'm not sure I'd rather them have rooted for the Bulls if they are turning on the local team, because that's just choosing a good team... but the Lakers was the popular pick always, regardless of how the local team did.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have a good reason, sure. And if you root for the local team when they don't play your cultural team, then sure. But I get upset when people who have no ties to the teams they root for when they have a local team. I don't understand it when they do so when the local team is good. No satisfaction. These guys weren't Bulls fans, they were Lakers fans in Utah when the Jazz were winning. Is winning not good enough for them? I'd rather them have rooted for the Bulls if they are turning on the local team, at least have a reason...

I had interest in the Lakers for some time when Magic was there, but honestly to me basketball is a sport that is drawing less and less of my interest every year. Lakers fans are all over, but a lot of people who root for them are bandwagon fans. There are some legit Lakers fans out there who are the truth, but these other fans just make no sense, especially when they can't identify players not named Magic of Kareem from the teams in the 80's.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had interest in the Lakers for some time when Magic was there, but honestly to me basketball is a sport that is drawing less and less of my interest every year. Lakers fans are all over, but a lot of people who root for them are bandwagon fans. There are some legit Lakers fans out there who are the truth, but these other fans just make no sense, especially when they can't identify players not named Magic of Kareem from the teams in the 80's.

It's like some 49ers fans. "I loved Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Bill Walsh, Steve Young, Joe Montana, Bill Walsh, Steve Young, Jerry Rice..." Bernie Kosar? "Yeah, I loved him."

But I'd rather they root for us than the Cowboys.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought your post was saying that he was an Ohio guy but not rooting for the Bengals, so I thought that was like a bandwagoner to be for the Ravens. I didn't explicitly say that because I don't know his history and he could make that up for all I know. So it wasn't directed at you, I've known you since ESPN (I joined in 2000, had this username since 2004 at ESPN, came here when everyone else did), but it wasn't necessarily accusing him either. Just my thoughts on those who don't root for local teams. Anyone can choose a good team.

I'm always highly suspect of that ilk.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, my cousin who lives in Utah (15 years old) and was raised by a Jazz fan, comes to me every time I'm there and says something about how great his Miami Heat is and says "we're going to..." and I said, "hold on, who's we? Didn't you like Dallas two off-seasons ago?" He says, "yeah, but I knew they were getting old and that was their window". And I told him, "one day, you may learn how it is to be a fan. It's not like where you would bet money. When you learn that, and I don't care what team it is, I'll let you say we when you're talking to me." It wasn't like permission, I was just going to say that I'll call him out on it every time until he commits. He'll commit to whatever college he goes to and that might rub off on him. He'll go to a city with a team and people there will mold him, hopefully. That is if he gets into college, a challenge unfortunately. I wouldn't send him out of state to school, he'll just goof off with no pressure/guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've been re-watching this game, and I've got to say the Chris Culliver PI call that led to the Ravens' final FG really bothers me. Was it illegal contact at least, if not PI? Yeah, probably. The fact that that was the only PI called in this game is RIDICULOUS. Smith committed blatant offensive PI on what should have been an easy Culliver INT immediately before the Jacoby Jones TD, and Graham did the same to Crabtree on a deep ball he dropped. Coupled with the no-calls on the last drive - all of which were close calls IMO - that either shouldn't have been called, or this game should have been called much tighter overall. It's one thing to take a "let them play" approach. It's another thing entirely to take that attitude for virtually the entire game and then make a call like this on what was not even close to clear PI.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have to disagree with you, I think most people root for the teams they grew up with. I grew up in the Central Valley in California and followed the 49ers because my dad went to school there and the Lakers because he was a Lakers fan. Now I live in Seattle and don't follow or like those teams at all, I'll always root for the 49ers and Lakers.

But I may be suspicious in other ways.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Most frustrating part of re-watching this game: Gore in the 4th quarter had four runs for 77 yards. And none in the final four downs. His shortest run in the 4th was for five yards on a fairly obvious running play. Just inexcusable.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to disagree with you, I think most people root for the teams they grew up with. I grew up in the Central Valley in California and followed the 49ers because my dad went to school there and the Lakers because he was a Lakers fan. Now I live in Seattle and don't follow or like those teams at all, I'll always root for the 49ers and Lakers.

But I may be suspicious in other ways.

I know he highlighted the quote of me saying "local teams" but the gist of what I was talking about was going for who's hot now over local teams, not loyalty to teams that are linked, like you said, to college days or family.

KingFlea

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he highlighted the quote of me saying "local teams" but the gist of what I was talking about was going for who's hot now over local teams, not loyalty to teams that are linked, like you said, to college days or family.

How about this..when I was 5ish i played flag football and my town had a whopping two teams: the 49ers and Redskins. By the grace of God I was picked by the 49ers and have been a 49er fan ever since, through thick and thin. That was in 1988 and in Virginia. I've never wavered once, never will.

I cheered for years for Virginia Tech because of close proximity..but once I went to and graduated from Old Dominion, I've been a Monarchs fan ever since.

I hope I'm not considered fair weather lol..

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most frustrating part of re-watching this game: Gore in the 4th quarter had four runs for 77 yards. And none in the final four downs. His shortest run in the 4th was for five yards on a fairly obvious running play. Just inexcusable.

Not to mention, their best interior lineman was out of the game - 49ers could have run down their throats all day long and chose to beat them through the passing game. Not sure what Roman/Jim Harbs were thinking, but their playcalling in this game and throughout the year have been really inconsistent and suspect. Of all the times I've watched Walsh call plays for the Niners offense, there were very few times that I scratched my head and asked myself, "what were they thinking". Nowadays, I seem to be asking that question at least once per game.

Nonetheless, this team has still made progress but they really need to add some pieces because Seattle and StL are right behind their heels.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about this..when I was 5ish i played flag football and my town had a whopping two teams: the 49ers and Redskins. By the grace of God I was picked by the 49ers and have been a 49er fan ever since, through thick and thin. That was in 1988 and in Virginia. I've never wavered once, never will.

I cheered for years for Virginia Tech because of close proximity..but once I went to and graduated from Old Dominion, I've been a Monarchs fan ever since.

I hope I'm not considered fair weather lol..

Ultimately it doesn't matter what team one chooses if they stick with one through goo times and bad times. My cousin who is rooting for the Heat because they are the favorites, is fine if he roots for them when LeBron and Wade leave and they are winning 20 games a year. He won't, though. He lives in Utah, so my preference for him would be for him to be a Jazz fan. If he were a Jazz fan whenever they were winning and ignored them whenever they were losing, but never rooted for other teams, I'd consider him fair weather but not bandwagon per se, though he certainly wouldn't be a pure fan.

I started to root for the Niners because my uncle lives in SF. As a kid, my state didn't have a football team. I could have chosen Denver, Arizona, Seattle, San Diego, or SF. Family ties convinced me. And then Steve Young started starting games and it sealed it for me. I hated his alma mater, but he was from my state. Then, Alex Smith went there, and he was from my state, too. So my fandom came first before those two were main players, but local ties seemed to fit. I wish Kaepernick were from Utah, USC, or Washington, but oh well.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention, their best interior lineman was out of the game - 49ers could have run down their throats all day long and chose to beat them through the passing game. Not sure what Roman/Jim Harbs were thinking, but their playcalling in this game and throughout the year have been really inconsistent and suspect. Of all the times I've watched Walsh call plays for the Niners offense, there were very few times that I scratched my head and asked myself, "what were they thinking". Nowadays, I seem to be asking that question at least once per game.

Nonetheless, this team has still made progress but they really need to add some pieces because Seattle and StL are right behind their heels.

It will always be one of those "what ifs" that will haunt us. Running the ball at least one more time seemed to be an obvious choice. At least try play action once. Maybe Roman, Harbaugh and Kaep just out-thought themselves in that situation.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL: We may have not called a hold, but, but, but you were standing in the white line on the sidelines! So either way, if we enforced the rules, no first and goal at the one.

Around the NFC West: 'Jim Harbaugh rule' - NFC West Blog - ESPN

To be complete, the NFL has not said anything about the hold, they just are saying that Harbaugh is standing in violation of a sideline rule. Or specifically, they are not talking about that play or Harbaugh specifically, but in general, but Sando attributes the emphasis on Harbaugh and talks about the play. A penalty there would let us attempt the 4th down again (assuming they called both) but not a first down (off-setting penalties). (Or would it be a dead ball foul, no play, 15 yards back? (Depending on when it was called, he could have been there the whole time.) Now, where was John Harbaugh standing on the play in question? And this certainly would not be a flag they'd throw would it? How about if we had scored? Touchdown! Wait, there's a flag on he 17 yard sideline on Harbaugh. 15 yards redo fourth down.

It would seem more petty if it were called or if the NFL cited the specific play, but it might be something that they will only call on some coaches to punish other things like arguing a call.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL: We may have not called a hold, but, but, but you were standing in the white line on the sidelines! So either way, if we enforced the rules, no first and goal at the one.

Around the NFC West: 'Jim Harbaugh rule' - NFC West Blog - ESPN

To be complete, the NFL has not said anything about the hold, they just are saying that Harbaugh is standing in violation of a sideline rule. Or specifically, they are not talking about that play or Harbaugh specifically, but in general, but Sando attributes the emphasis on Harbaugh and talks about the play. A penalty there would let us attempt the 4th down again (assuming they called both) but not a first down (off-setting penalties). (Or would it be a dead ball foul, no play, 15 yards back? (Depending on when it was called, he could have been there the whole time.) Now, where was John Harbaugh standing on the play in question? And this certainly would not be a flag they'd throw would it? How about if we had scored? Touchdown! Wait, there's a flag on he 17 yard sideline on Harbaugh. 15 yards redo fourth down.

It would seem more petty if it were called or if the NFL cited the specific play, but it might be something that they will only call on some coaches to punish other things like arguing a call.

Belichick has been doing that for years! I don't care if they want to start enforcing it now but it irks me that that wasn't mentioned. Schwartz and to a lesser degree, Fisher, are also wanderers.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick has been doing that for years! I don't care if they want to start enforcing it now but it irks me that that wasn't mentioned. Schwartz and to a lesser degree, Fisher, are also wanderers.

I can't think of a single HC that hasn't taken up residence between the sidelines at some point during games. Hell, Singletary use run track up and down the #'s.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't think of a single HC that hasn't taken up residence between the sidelines at some point during games. Hell, Singletary use run track up and down the #'s.

I know it happens with every team. I was listing the guys who I believe do it more than the rest.