• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something to ponder

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We are all Giants fans here. We all love our team and support the players on the team no matter what.

But I want to play God for a moment (I know, the irony). If you could excise one player from SF Giants history - wipe that player out as if he never existed as a Giant - who would that player be and why?

The one catch is the player has to have played during your lifetime.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if anyone answers someone other than AJ Pierzynski or Armando Benitez. Maybe a Zito or two.

Put me down for Benitez.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta be Zito for the contract alone. There's no guarantee that if we didn't get AJ that we wouldn't have traded away Nathan anyway.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would NOT vote for Zito OR RoRo. They both have rings with the team. Permanent amnesty.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It would have to be Bobby Murcer. The guy never stopped bitching and the Giants gave away Bobby to get him.
The only saving grace was that the Giants got Madlock for him in a trade .

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It would have to be Bobby Murcer. The guy never stopped bitching and the Giants gave away Bobby to get him.
The only saving grace was that the Giants got Madlock for him in a trade .

And if the Giants don't trade Murcer for Bonds, then he doesn't get traded to California and Texas and Chicago (AL) and Cleveland and St. Louis and Chicago (NL).

And if that doesn't happen, we don't get the line in Talkin' Baseball, "Well now it's the 80s and Brett is the greatest, and Bobby Bonds can play for everyone."

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question. It really depends on how I look at it.

AJ because of what we gave up. As a player I felt he had quite a bit of talent and he proved to be a prick besides. We gave up Nathan, Loraino and Bonser. Worst trade just based on pure talent at this point in time.

Tejada is alo on my list becuase I see nothing of value since he's been here. He's also led to the signing of OC which I am also less than pleased with.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ is Teh Doosh, so he HAS to be the guy.

+1. Despite Rowand's recent comments about SF and Barry's obvious shortcomings, at least they seem likable. There is nothing appealing about AJ the person or the ballplayer (at least in a Giants' uniform). I don't mind the trade too much because, like Cam stated, there is no guarantee Nathan would've even been around for the bridge from Nen to Weezy. The Matheny concussions made Sabean have to take a risk. I just wish it was for someone other than AJ.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why, but I always had an abstract, strong disliking for Marvin Benard. Not saying he's a good choice, but he's my choice.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know why, but I always had an abstract, strong disliking for Marvin Benard. Not saying he's a good choice, but he's my choice.

Initially, when I thought up the question, my first target was actually Michael Fucking Tucker. No huge reason - he cost the team a 1st round draft pick that the Royals squandered - but I just hated the fact that the Giants gave up a first-round draft pick for that piece of shit.

I also contemplated Blow-nitez, Neifi Fucking Perez and even Salomon Torres.

But then before I posted the question, my thoughts just kept drifting back to Teh Doosh. Eh Jay was easily the worst Giants player I can remember.

For being the worst possible teammate, the biggest dooshbag in the world (who knees a trainer in teh nuts?), and a horrible trade acquisition, he gets my vote as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit of a side not...

When I went to my one and only Giants game this year at the litter box, there was a guy wearing a Pierzienski Giants Jersey...

The only thing that made sense to me was that he was a real-world troll, just trying to bug Giants fans. No Giants fan would wear an AJ jersey, would they?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit of a side not...

When I went to my one and only Giants game this year at the litter box, there was a guy wearing a Pierzienski Giants Jersey...

The only thing that made sense to me was that he was a real-world troll, just trying to bug Giants fans. No Giants fan would wear an AJ jersey, would they?

That is a seriously committed troll, but you are probably right.

Other possibility: a guy who got way too excited about AJ, paid a bunch for the jersey, and now doesn't want to write it off...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a seriously committed troll, but you are probably right.

Other possibility: a guy who got way too excited about AJ, paid a bunch for the jersey, and now doesn't want to write it off...

Certainly possible.

The main reason I NEVER get a player-specific jersey.

Although, I wanted to amend my current Jersey to have #10 and the name being "Champs", but it would have cost $75 just to add the lettering to my existing jersey.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Initially, when I thought up the question, my first target was actually Michael Fucking Tucker. No huge reason - he cost the team a 1st round draft pick that the Royals squandered - but I just hated the fact that the Giants gave up a first-round draft pick for that piece of shit.

I also contemplated Blow-nitez, Neifi Fucking Perez and even Salomon Torres.

But then before I posted the question, my thoughts just kept drifting back to Teh Doosh. Eh Jay was easily the worst Giants player I can remember.

For being the worst possible teammate, the biggest dooshbag in the world (who knees a trainer in teh nuts?), and a horrible trade acquisition, he gets my vote as well.

Yeah. Edgardo Alfonzo was a pretty big FA flop, too. If Benjie hadn't been the best power hitter on one of the worst offensive baseball teams of all-time, he might've gotten some consideration for how dickish he was toward the end.

I think my dad would go with Atlee Hammaker, just for the frustration after that one great year, but I think most Giants' fans just feel bad for the guy. Luckily, it seems like Timmy and Weezy have lifted that Giants' pitcher in the All-Star Game curse that Atlee so famously started.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Edgardo Alfonzo was a pretty big FA flop, too. If Benjie hadn't been the best power hitter on one of the worst offensive baseball teams of all-time, he might've gotten some consideration for how dickish he was toward the end.

I think my dad would go with Atlee Hammaker, just for the frustration after that one great year, but I think most Giants' fans just feel bad for the guy. Luckily, it seems like Timmy and Weezy have lifted that Giants' pitcher in the All-Star Game curse that Atlee so famously started.

Bo Jackson :tea: Wade Boggs

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Jackson :tea: Wade Boggs

Atlee started it, but Big Daddy perfected it. After that game, I practically rooted for Giants' pitchers to have bad first halves of the season. I just checked and Schmidty didn't fare as badly as I remembered, but Burkett took the loss in 1993. Either way, that's history.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Jesus I am old.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. It would have to be Soloman Torres for me, for that last game of the season epic meltdown in 1994.

2. Sure the AJ trade was a bad one, but you want your catcher to be a prick, right? Didn't he annoy the hell out of opposing batters? The signings of Zito and RoRo are by far worse, in my opinion. Heck, he was a left handed catcher who supposedly hit for average and power, with decent defense. Pretty attractive combo, that.

3. Tie- Jim Druckenmiller (just becasue) / Lawrence Phillips (for missing the block that ended Steve Young's career, and for just being a bad human being.

4. Billy Owens (trading for him started the two decade slide) :L