• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some Surprising Big Names On The LIV Tour

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can but they need to be careful about taking too hard a line, because the golfers are the show.
Reminds me of the reserve clause in baseball and that went down to a fiery defeat in court. If the PGA tries to defend their stance in court, the LIV has one heckuva precedent to lean on. To me its like my golf club telling me that if I join another club in town I can no longer play at my club.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read that DJ resigned from the PGA tour and is only going to play LIV events and the majors, which confused me a little-aren't at least 1 of the majors PGA property?

The "PGA Tour" does not run any Major. The PGA Tours Marquee events are The The Players Championship & the Tour Championship/Fed Ex Cup.

The Governing bodies for the 4 majors and thier rules are independent of the PGA Tour.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PGA officially suspended all 17 players attending the LIV event from all PGA events and warned any other players that join any LIV event will also be suspended.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PGA officially suspended all 17 players attending the LIV event from all PGA events and warned any other players that join any LIV event will also be suspended.
The memo from the PGA tour is just so outrageous .... think of the current players still on the tour and how they feel after reading this ...

At some point in the future Monahan will have to step down for coming down so hard on this and being so arrogant.

"These players have made their choice for their own financial-based reasons. But they can’t demand the same PGA Tour membership benefits, considerations, opportunities and platform as you. That expectation disrespects you, our fans and our partners. You have made a different choice, which is to abide by the Tournament Regulations you agreed to when you accomplished the dream of earning a PGA Tour card and – more importantly – to compete as part of the preeminent organization in the world of professional golf," the memo read.

"I am certain our fans and partners – who are surely tired of all this talk of money, money and more money – will continue to be entertained and compelled by the world-class competition you display each and every week, where there are true consequences for every shot you take and your rightful place in history whenever you reach that elusive winner’s circle."

"I know you are with us, and vice versa. Our partners are with us, too. The fact that your former Tour colleagues can’t say the same should be telling,"

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Monahan's lawyers must have told him he has a leg to stand on legally because the anti-trust lawyers are going to definitely fight this one.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The memo from the PGA tour is just so outrageous .... think of the current players still on the tour and how they feel after reading this ...

At some point in the future Monahan will have to step down for coming down so hard on this and being so arrogant.

"These players have made their choice for their own financial-based reasons. But they can’t demand the same PGA Tour membership benefits, considerations, opportunities and platform as you. That expectation disrespects you, our fans and our partners. You have made a different choice, which is to abide by the Tournament Regulations you agreed to when you accomplished the dream of earning a PGA Tour card and – more importantly – to compete as part of the preeminent organization in the world of professional golf," the memo read.

"I am certain our fans and partners – who are surely tired of all this talk of money, money and more money – will continue to be entertained and compelled by the world-class competition you display each and every week, where there are true consequences for every shot you take and your rightful place in history whenever you reach that elusive winner’s circle."

"I know you are with us, and vice versa. Our partners are with us, too. The fact that your former Tour colleagues can’t say the same should be telling,"

They will lose their anti trust exemption just like baseball did. The PGA is so greedy. The ironic thing about the stance they are taking is that in 1968 when the PGA Tour was formed, they broke off from the PGA of America to start their own tour so they could keep more of the money for the tournament players just like they are trying to stop the LIV golfers from doing. Its ridiculous

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the coverage of today event on LIVGolf.com and it was surprisingly well done. It had the feel of a Euro Tour event. And the camera work was just like on the PGA Tour. Some pretty good golf. I didn't quite understand the team portion of the event but it was interesting that the players play both individually and as a member of a 4-man team.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Monahan's lawyers must have told him he has a leg to stand on legally because the anti-trust lawyers are going to definitely fight this one.
It was a bad call, and the letter was poorly done. I don't see how PGA comes out on top of this one.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a bad call, and the letter was poorly done. I don't see how PGA comes out on top of this one.

An interesting find in the tours bylaws.

"I really have no idea how much leverage either side has here. Initially it sounded like Greg Norman's threats of litigation were hollow, but I included these tweets in a blog the other day that suggest that might not necessarily be the case. Or at least for the top guys who have (had?) higher PGA Tour card priority:"

A lawyer friend is combing through tour bylaws and sent this:

When a player resigns and plays conflicting events he has to sit out a season before applying for reinstatement. That is, he is not breaking any rules.pic.twitter.com/oA58XKPifN
— Tron Carter (@TronCarterNLU)June 7, 2022
And in the case of DJ, he is ENTITLED to reinstatement after sitting out for a year through the end of his five year Masters exemption (if he wanted to return).

“Shall be entitled” is key and seems to make it automatic. Players w/o multi year exemptions would need to apply.
Players without multi year exemptions would need to apply, but there’s nothing in there indicating any kind of barrier. So refusing to let them back in could be seen as retaliatory. In all likelihood they’d just need to play their way back in thru Q-school, KF, etc.
The “ban” that’s been threatened/intimated for violation of PGA tour rules. But no resigning member has violated any rules. In fact, they’ve acted completely in accordance with the guidance of the written rules.

Again, that’s my lawyer friend’s interpretation of the by-laws.
"There are surely players that saw the money and didn't think twice (looking at you Poults and Westy)… but there are also may be players who measured their legal risk and became convinced that they do have some legal footing here to return to the PGA Tour should things go sideways. The fact that LIV Golf is building strength makes me think they've really got some ground to stand on based on how the PGA Tour bylaws are currently constructed. I'm sure the PGA Tour's lawyers are working as diligently on revising and strengthening those bylaws as they are defending the ones currently in place.

All of this makes for an extremely scintillating era in golf and that continues to build with every big name that makes the jump.

I've said it all week, this is only the beginning. Getcha popcorn ready"

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They look greedy and vindictive

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting find in the tours bylaws.

"I really have no idea how much leverage either side has here. Initially it sounded like Greg Norman's threats of litigation were hollow, but I included these tweets in a blog the other day that suggest that might not necessarily be the case. Or at least for the top guys who have (had?) higher PGA Tour card priority:"

"There are surely players that saw the money and didn't think twice (looking at you Poults and Westy)… but there are also may be players who measured their legal risk and became convinced that they do have some legal footing here to return to the PGA Tour should things go sideways. The fact that LIV Golf is building strength makes me think they've really got some ground to stand on based on how the PGA Tour bylaws are currently constructed. I'm sure the PGA Tour's lawyers are working as diligently on revising and strengthening those bylaws as they are defending the ones currently in place.

All of this makes for an extremely scintillating era in golf and that continues to build with every big name that makes the jump.

I've said it all week, this is only the beginning. Getcha popcorn ready"

Fuck the greedy ass PGA. It’s the players who make the game

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked Brooks Koepka has not jumped ship yet.

He has a history of just mailing it in on the PGA Tour anyway
He has 4 majors but only 4 PGA tour wins in the US.

He seems like the perfect play to defect.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked Brooks Koepka has not jumped ship yet.

He has a history of just mailing it in on the PGA Tour anyway
He has 4 majors but only 4 PGA tour wins in the US.

He seems like the perfect play to defect.

His brother is playing LIV

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read that DJ resigned from the PGA tour and is only going to play LIV events and the majors, which confused me a little-aren't at least 1 of the majors PGA property?
Can't blame DJ for leaving the PGA when you get a 4 year contract from LIV for 130 million

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its strange because players can play the Euro Tour or the Asian Tour events with no problem. Must be some trouble between LIV and the PGA

It's bc LIV has events in North America is the reason being given

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the sponsors that keep the PGA flush with cash? Think that they won't sponsor the LIV? Or LIV players?

PGA is nothing more than a professional NCAA. Times are changing and the future is refusing to follow the path of the past. Buck up, cupcakes. The youngsters is goin' where the money is easier to grab.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bc LIV has events in North America is the reason being given
They keep talking about not liking the Saudis because of their human rights record but it’s ok to play in China it seems and they have the worst record of human rights violations of any country

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the sponsors that keep the PGA flush with cash? Think that they won't sponsor the LIV? Or LIV players?

PGA is nothing more than a professional NCAA. Times are changing and the future is refusing to follow the path of the past. Buck up, cupcakes. The youngsters is goin' where the money is easier to grab.
Looks like so far its all the old guys. I'm hoping more of the top players will follow.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame DJ for leaving the PGA when you get a 4 year contract from LIV for 130 million
Yep. He'd have to win a hundred tournaments on the PGA tour to earn that kind of scratch

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Just finished watching "Golf Central" on the Golf Channel and they covered every tour right down to the Korn Ferry and Curtis Cuop but not a word about the Final round of the LIV event. Damn, the PGA really has these guys steppin and fetchin. Scared to cover golf.