• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some observations from the coaches film

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Trick or treat? Roman avoids talking about a certain play

Thought this was funny. The play is at the 46 minute mark. Would have been a 78 yard TD imo. I wish they had run it faster. It looked like they were trying too hard to disguise it.

That is probably why the Jets called timeout, Rex looked up and saw nobody drifting over to Kaep

BTW, Roman pulls these plays out at the worst times... something like that would have been great for the playoffs, or even Super Bowl. They wasted the Staley and Soap passes last year in meaningless games...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is probably why the Jets called timeout, Rex looked up and saw nobody drifting over to Kaep

BTW, Roman pulls these plays out at the worst times... something like that would have been great for the playoffs, or even Super Bowl. They wasted the Staley and Soap passes last year in meaningless games...

This is why some people thought (and probably think), wrongly, that we are hiding all deep passes and that's why Smith isn't getting those long passes. Most of them know that it's partly because Smith is too hesitant, but I've read some that act like that it's greatly hiding playcalling. I suggested it as a possibility - during the preseason - but in live games where we were down in Minnesota - why would Harbaugh surrender a loss to hide plays - the answer is he wouldn't.

But I agree, for trick plays - save them for better timing - either playoffs or when we're trailing - just not too cute.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand the premise of this argument but disagree. The reason you put out trick plays in "meaningless games" is to get them on film and have something else that DCs have to prepare for. In the NFL most teams practice 3 times a week so the more we show "gadget" plays the less time they focous on the "staple" plays.

Also I am fairly confident that their is a variation and a variation to the 1st variation etc. to that play. After all Roman is a mad scientist when it comes to play calling (sometimes to the teams detriment).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the premise of this argument but disagree. The reason you put out trick plays in "meaningless games" is to get them on film and have something else that DCs have to prepare for. In the NFL most teams practice 3 times a week so the more we show "gadget" plays the less time they focous on the "staple" plays.

Also I am fairly confident that their is a variation and a variation to the 1st variation etc. to that play. After all Roman is a mad scientist when it comes to play calling (sometimes to the teams detriment).

Well, I was wrong in thinking that was a one time thing like last years passes to Staley and Sopoaga, the WildKap is sticking around and its going to do what you said and force teams to spend precious practice time preparing for it. It looks like the poor Seahawks are screwed, they only get Mon, Tue, and Wed to try and prepare for the WildKap. With the time constraints you mentioned, and the players also recently said the same stuff, Seattle is going to be caught unaware a few times I bet.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I was wrong in thinking that was a one time thing like last years passes to Staley and Sopoaga, the WildKap is sticking around and its going to do what you said and force teams to spend precious practice time preparing for it. It looks like the poor Seahawks are screwed, they only get Mon, Tue, and Wed to try and prepare for the WildKap.With the time constraints you mentioned, and the players also recently said the same stuff, Seattle is going to be caught unaware a few times I bet.

In fairness the Seahawks are screwed because their offense sucks and we are a better team. :hockeysmile:

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty crazy that even with Smith's two sketchy performances against Minny and the Jets, he currently leads the NFL in passer rating:

NFL Stats: by Player Category

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whoops. I don't know how I forgot to put the "R" on there. I must have typed it too fast and didn't double check what I typed.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills game

I've just watched the 1st half so far, Fitzpatrick was crappy and it helped the 49ers out a lot, his accuracy was pitiful. Like when they drove for their FG, if he wouldn't have thrown that ball behind his WR it may have been a TD and certainly a 1st down because the TE I think it was, had position to pick/block Willis. I think the announcers said the WR dropped it, but it was way behind the receiver.

Fitzpass.png

I don't know if Smith could have made the throw cause it would have been really deep, but right before the 2 minute warning on 1st and 5 Randy actually got one-on-one coverage and the protection seemed OK, all 5 rushers were picked up... but Smith dumped it to Crabtree instead. Nothing damaging of course, but, personally I'd like to see Smith chuck it up to Moss on a play like this and see what happens. Moss was on the top of the screen and the deep midfielder was leaning his coverage towards the other sideline. I'm biased for Moss though, I picked him up for my FF team after the Packer game.

Moss1-1.png

Pocket.png

I saw some other stuff too, no pictures though... on the one deep pass to VD on the wheel route, man that play was drawn up beautifully... Walker cleared out the CB and safety by running a post route I guess it is and that left VD by himself after he got behind the LBs. Really cool.

I also saw what led to Mario's TD, cause he did the same thing on a VD reception at the end of the half. He made an inside move and shook both the LB covering him and the safety and was sitting pretty all by himself at the sideline around the 10-15. So obviously they let him do that again with Smith looking for him.