• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some observations from the coaches film

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our pass protection isn't that good. it's much better than last season so far and i think smith needs to trust the protection and step up into the pocket. i'm sure the coaching staff and smith is going over the missed opportunities. we'll just have to see how the offense progresses. as mentioned earlier a lot of teams are playing 2 deep safeties so we're basically being given that underneath stuff. smith is more than happy to hit those all day.

Which OLs would you take over the 49ers'?

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Which OLs would you take over the 49ers'?

Dude. We've all seen like 8 games total. It is hard to say.

What isn't hard to say is we can't be doing well around 10% sack rate. It's not like we've ditched the 2011 offense for a Martz offense. It is still mostly get it out in a timely manner.

Need to see a few more games and not having to face 2 of the best pass rushes.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if A QB is favoring the short/quick routes, obviously the o-line doesn't need to sustain their blocks for to long of a time. Shouldn't be too hard for any NFL o-line to look good for 1-2 seconds in pass protection.

For the record, I think we have a solid offensive line. Sacks aren't always the offensive lines fault nor is it always the fault of the QB. Sometimes it's the QBs and other times its the O-lines. Thus, I don't think a sack rate is good way to measure the performance of an o-line.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What isn't hard to say is we can't be doing well around 10% sack rate. It's not like we've ditched the 2011 offense for a Martz offense. It is still mostly get it out in a timely manner.

Lol, you are fucking ridiculous. Now I know why I've been ignoring your posts.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to give kudos to threelittlebirds:

Great thread and film snap shots!

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lol, you are fucking ridiculous. Now I know why I've been ignoring your posts.

HERP DERP I CAN CUSS IM A HARDCORE FAN DDEEEEERRR

It's reasonable analysis that any reasonable person would accept.

Last year to start we were around 10% as well but I remember a lot of blown assignments being part of the problem.

This year it is too small a sample with 2 tough road games like I already said.

Let's wait and see and not start chanting 'we want carr' only to look like a jackass in retrospect.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We should definitely wait to see, because Smith doesn't have the best pocket presence and favors sacks over taking a shot. Heck, he sometimes takes a sack over throwing the ball away. So I wouldn't look at the total sack percentage to say the oline is the problem. Obviously, having a high rate would at least disqualify them from being the best oline, but we have to see the reasons and for that, more time helps - not because we don't know Smith but rather because we don't know how this oline personnel work together. If they gel better, maybe Smith doesn't choose the sack over the pass because he has more time.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HERP DERP I CAN CUSS IM A HARDCORE FAN DDEEEEERRR

It's reasonable analysis that any reasonable person would accept.

Last year to start we were around 10% as well but I remember a lot of blown assignments being part of the problem.

This year it is too small a sample with 2 tough road games like I already said.

Let's wait and see and not start chanting 'we want carr' only to look like a jackass in retrospect.

You really, really need to get over it. This isn't the ESPN board anymore buddy. No one here wants Carr, Troy Smith, or Shaun Hill. I know your sole purpose on this board is try and defend your boy, but find a new trick.

As for the OL - you're the one who brought them into this discussion. Now all of the sudden it's "too early" to tell? Laughable.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seems like ESPN sometimes.

Laughable is your take of the line being good last year. This year it is still a question.

I brought up OL cause someone wanted the QB to get through the reads and get it down the field. OL is an obvious part to how passing plays happen.
I'd like to see the quick 1-2 reads and then a look to the longer route and if it is clear, hit it, if not then a toss away or check down.

Flacco chucked it 46 times and got the yards but got a BS Elite question mention only because he was winning largely due to his Defense making a huge play.

Alex was meh last week but we could of won with a play or 2 that didn't happen. What we can't win with is turnovers in the quest for plays.

I was looking for it to be turned up in Min when behind and near midfield after a return but then there was a fumble. Got it back quick and 2 1st downs to get back to the spot but then failed on 3rd and long after 2 run plays got us 2 yards.

After that we are in must pass situations with Jared Allen and everyone else knowing it. Probably should of gone for it on 4th and 6 anyhow with how the Defense got worked. And clock ticking down.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while there has been sacks that shouldn't have been taken, the line is giving up a good amount of pressure. especially considering the fact that our passing game so far this year has mostly been quick passes to underneath recievers.

the line is looking a lot better than last year. with all the additions along with crabtree emerging as a viable wr it's gonna take a bit of time for things to be running smoothly.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems like ESPN sometimes.

Laughable is your take of the line being good last year. This year it is still a question.

I brought up OL cause someone wanted the QB to get through the reads and get it down the field. OL is an obvious part to how passing plays happen.
I'd like to see the quick 1-2 reads and then a look to the longer route and if it is clear, hit it, if not then a toss away or check down.

Flacco chucked it 46 times and got the yards but got a BS Elite question mention only because he was winning largely due to his Defense making a huge play.

Alex was meh last week but we could of won with a play or 2 that didn't happen. What we can't win with is turnovers in the quest for plays.

I was looking for it to be turned up in Min when behind and near midfield after a return but then there was a fumble. Got it back quick and 2 1st downs to get back to the spot but then failed on 3rd and long after 2 run plays got us 2 yards.

After that we are in must pass situations with Jared Allen and everyone else knowing it. Probably should of gone for it on 4th and 6 anyhow with how the Defense got worked. And clock ticking down.

looks like they are basically doing quick reads, and then check down. i'm ok with it too as long as the completion percentage remains high. yes, its in the red zone area that the offense still fails. after a turnover or great return, the offense needs to finish with TD's more than FG's.

agree despite the lesser showing last week, if Alex hits one or two passes, maybe a different outcome?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like they are basically doing quick reads, and then check down. i'm ok with it too as long as the completion percentage remains high. yes, its in the red zone area that the offense still fails. after a turnover or great return, the offense needs to finish with TD's more than FG's.

agree despite the lesser showing last week, if Alex hits one or two passes, maybe a different outcome?

that's the key, if the team showed up it would have been a different outcome.

i'm very interested to see if smith looks more downfield against the jets. guys are getting open unlike last year, but it doesn't appear that smith is even looking.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets Game

Well, some things I saw again. First off, I'm starting to really love seeing Manningham get behind the defense... It's just a total buzzkill that Alex is more interested in the dump off.

3 man rush, lots of time, and he dumps it to Gore when Manningham just zipped through the zone and got behind the defense.

ManninghamJets1stqtr_zpsda8a9f09.png

I also believe, and it is just my opinion, that Wilson got away with a lot of contact on the two passes Alex missed to Manningham. He got some contact on the Crabtree one too, but I think Wilson was within his defender's rights on his coverage of Crabtree and that was mostly on Alex missing the throw.

The first throw to Manningham, its really hard to take pictures of the contact but here is one of Wilson holding Manningham's hand, but he was doing a lot more, like reaching, pulling, grabbing. Unless of course you want to believe Manningham likes to hold hands when he gets behind the defense

Manningham_zps6ef60521.png

It's really too bad that Alex missed Crabtree too, because that would have been either a huge gain or a huge gain and a TD if he hit him. Just to show you what the Jets lined up with.

CrabtreeOverthrowvsjets_zpsc339a1e2.png

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More on the second deep pass that Alex missed to Manningham, the one that at least hit him in the hand. Wilson started backing away and once he realized Mario was going to run right past him, Wilson initiated contact about 13 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.... correct me if I'm wrong, but they're only allowed to do that within the first 5 yards. That was enough to slow Mario down.

Manninghamsideline_zps282703a1.png

Manninghamsideline2_zps35eac86e.png

Manninghamsideline3_zps84c6f7f4.png

Manninghamsideline4_zpsb7f8560f.png

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you questioning Randy Moss, I think he should have had two TDs in the Jets game. Another case of Alex Smith locking into his first option and then ignoring everything else while waiting for him to get open.

In the first case he was locked into Crabtree and eventually threw it away before taking a sack... but for the life of me I can't figure out why he didn't throw it to Moss who had a ton of space around him. Sure, maybe the safety could have played through Randy and deflected it or drawn a PI, but man, how open does Randy need to be to make the damn throw?

MissedMossTDvsJets_zps1025ba37.png

MissedMossTD2_zps69b698c3.png

Then in the 3rd Quarter, Randy zipped right past Cromartie and was pretty damn open in my opinion... but Smith was locked in on Walker and made the shorter and safer throw instead.

MossOpen3rdqtr_zps90e200c0.png

Mossopen3rdqtr2_zps95bb574a.png

Missing these didn't matter again in the big picture, because Kaepernick eventually got the rushing TD on the first missed opportunity to Randy, and Gore punched it in on 4th down on the 2nd missed opportunity to Randy. I'd be really pissed off at Alex right now if Gore didn't punch that in on 4th down.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good news, Alex Smith isn't some sort of dummy who just runs into Joe Staley... some Jets guy tripped Alex up before he fell over Staley.

SmithdidntrunintoStaley_zpsa8d5dd47.png

As for Aldon's lost sack, I watched a few times and counted it out, Aldon got to Sanchez in 4 seconds and Brown started holding around 4 seconds too. What a bummer.

Aldonslostsack_zps4b167ab9.png

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a dumb question where do you get these pics from

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, yeah, some more on Randy that I forgot. That triple coverage? One of the guys was the CB from the other side of the field. Three yellow arrows are the guys who converged on Moss, and the other arrow was the safety taking Crabtree I believe it was underneath.

MossJets_zps7a7f5912.png

I wanted to show another play where Moss ran right past his defender, I didn't look to see who it was... probably Cromartie... but Alex never looked his way and passed to Bruce Miller for 8 or 9 yards. I just wanted to put it up to show Randy gets open still. Plus look at the safety, turned away from the QB and getting ready to try and stay ahead of Moss. Randy still has it, and defenses know it.

Mossgettingopen_zpsf39b42ed.png