• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some observations from the coaches film

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a dumb question where do you get these pics from

NFL.com, I paid for the NFL Rewind and they put up the coaches film on Tuesdays. So, I just watch and take screen shots, then load them up on Microsoft Paint, crop, put in the arrows and junk.

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is my favorite thread now. Thanks for these posts!

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Questions for you: Did any of the opposing QB's like Sanchez miss any big chances against our D on this film? Or is Alex missing a lot more opportunities?

Missing on that roll out to Moss was the one that got me because he had a very similar play like that last week from this thread. You'd think he'd be on that one. There are two receivers so checking it down is just robotical.

The good news is that he is finally taking some occasional big shots and making some good passes that are close to big plays. The one out of bounds to DW was a very nice pass, just well defended. And the one to Manningham was a great throw that would have connected if it wasn't for PI throwing off the timing.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Questions for you: Did any of the opposing QB's like Sanchez miss any big chances against our D on this film? Or is Alex missing a lot more opportunities?

Missing on that roll out to Moss was the one that got me because he had a very similar play like that last week from this thread. You'd think he'd be on that one. There are two receivers so checking it down is just robotical.

The good news is that he is finally taking some occasional big shots and making some good passes that are close to big plays. The one out of bounds to DW was a very nice pass, just well defended. And the one to Manningham was a great throw that would have connected if it wasn't for PI throwing off the timing.

To be honest, I haven't looked at the defensive snaps much to see if they had any near misses. Mostly because I felt the defense is pretty good. I was really more interested in seeing if there were any missed opportunities in the 49ers passing game, since that is the part of the team that draws the most criticism.

I'll look though, my guess is that they didn't miss a whole lot of guys because the 49ers defense pretty much dominated the Packers, Lions, and Jets. Ponder seemed to find the open guy all day, so I doubt he missed anything either.

And yeah, I don't know how or why he didn't throw it to Moss in the Jets game, he had huge passing lanes and the only guy who could have made a play was the safety behind Moss. I'd take that matchup against Moss every day of the week.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sanchez didn't miss anything, the one time a Jet got behind the defense was when he threw it to Holmes and Goldson made that great pass defense.

Rodgers, didn't miss anything either. If anything might count, the sack where Aldon lost his helmet on the first series. Terrell Brown got torched on a double move without safety help, and if Aldon didn't make that sack it probably would have been a quick strike TD. Other than that, I didn't see anything spectacular.

Haven't watched the Lions game at all yet, but since the 49ers played so much nickel in that game too, I doubt Stafford missed any big plays. I doubt Ponder did, since he seemed to make every key throw that they needed. But, I'll get back to you on those two games.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of us, of course, are well aware of Alex's reluctance to take risks down the field and we know the limitations that come with that. Last year, a lot of people said if we're winning so what? Now, it seems the call for more shots is more universal.

Our expectations have risen for the offense this year, as we have more weapons, more preparation in the off-season, and a fuller playbook. Even those who aren't big believers in Smith expected growth and we saw some of it in the first two games. Then, the last two games were better than the worst last year. Higher highs and higher lows, but still inconsistent. And still lacking.

If Smith played the same in the Vikings and Jets games as he did in the Packers and Lions games, but we had the same W/L record, losing and winning to the same teams, would we be getting as many "throw deep" complaints/concerns/requests? Is it the philosophy or the execution that is under attack? I say both, but what are your thoughts? If we completed the Manningham passes but still missed Moss, would we be more patient with Alex? I think he's been here long enough that we should expect those being picked up, but is this something that needs to be done now or later? (I of course want it both, but don't need to panic. Don't trust him either, though.)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of us, of course, are well aware of Alex's reluctance to take risks down the field and we know the limitations that come with that. Last year, a lot of people said if we're winning so what? Now, it seems the call for more shots is more universal.

Our expectations have risen for the offense this year, as we have more weapons, more preparation in the off-season, and a fuller playbook. Even those who aren't big believers in Smith expected growth and we saw some of it in the first two games. Then, the last two games were better than the worst last year. Higher highs and higher lows, but still inconsistent. And still lacking.

If Smith played the same in the Vikings and Jets games as he did in the Packers and Lions games, but we had the same W/L record, losing and winning to the same teams, would we be getting as many "throw deep" complaints/concerns/requests? Is it the philosophy or the execution that is under attack? I say both, but what are your thoughts? If we completed the Manningham passes but still missed Moss, would we be more patient with Alex? I think he's been here long enough that we should expect those being picked up, but is this something that needs to be done now or later? (I of course want it both, but don't need to panic. Don't trust him either, though.)

The Packers and Lions, especially the Lions, have horrible defenses. The Lions were playing without three of their starting secondary players. Even Locker, not exactly the most accurate QB in the world, completed 70%+ against them.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers and Lions, especially the Lions, have horrible defenses. The Lions were playing without three of their starting secondary players. Even Locker, not exactly the most accurate QB in the world, completed 70%+ against them.

True, but I don't think Smith played the same in the last two games, regardless of the defenses. I think he underperformed, not just statistically. I think if he had come in and played with the same control, against better defenses, we'd have seen better, not just statistically. I guess what I'm trying to see, that despite the fact Smith looks less confident in general, to me, he looked even more so in the last two games. But that might just be my patience speaking.

I believe Smith has a chance at improving enough to keep him. He has his limits, but he can be good enough, after some hypothetical improvement. He, of course, could stagnate or regress. But I was disappointed in the feel of the last two games from him, for me. I thought last year he was improving, even in his off games.

But, I do think he'll improve.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At least Alex's aren't as lows aren't as low as Romo's lows.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Smith has a chance at improving.

I thought last year he was improving.

God I can't wait to have a QB which allow's us to stop saying that shit. ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is what he is. We have who we have. All I can hope for is improvement as the games go on. I can't hope for elite. I don't think any of us expected him to all of a sudden be different. He may never be. Even the biggest Smith supporters expect(ed) to happen over time in this system. Others have different levels of optimism, patience, and a little or a lot of delusion. I'm happy he's succeeded more, I hope for more, and am prepared if he doesn't. If/When Kaep takes over, it'll be because he'd be better - not like the times where Troy took over where it seemed being someone other than Alex helped a lot.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Smith has a chance at improving.

I thought last year he was improving.

He is what he is. We have who we have. All I can hope for is improvement as the games go on. I can't hope for elite. I don't think any of us expected him to all of a sudden be different. He may never be. Even the biggest Smith supporters expect(ed) to happen over time in this system. Others have different levels of optimism, patience, and a little or a lot of delusion. I'm happy he's succeeded more, I hope for more, and am prepared if he doesn't. If/When Kaep takes over, it'll be because he'd be better - not like the times where Troy took over where it seemed being someone other than Alex helped a lot.

1/4 of the way into the season and Smith is nearly precisely where he was last year. Now, the first four games were 3-road & 1-home; the next four will be 3-home & 1-road. I expect to see that advantage measurably reflected in both his play and his stats.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1/4 of the way into the season and Smith is nearly precisely where he was last year. Now, the first four games were 3-road & 1-home; the next four will be 3-home & 1-road. I expect to see that advantage measurably reflected in both his play and his stats.

Man, it'll be great to be home again! Hopefully the regular season ticket holders read and take heed (sp.?) of the advice on crowd noise. Be quiet for the offense!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in a place where I can't have the volume on, but there's a video with a caption "[Alex Smith] explains why he isn't throwing deep as much this season." Go to the "Alex Smith discusses Approach to throwing deep." I'm guessing it's standard reasons that we can all assume would be said.

San Francisco 49ers video | CSNBayArea.com | CSNCalifornia.com

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might show the problems with QB rating but if Tukafu hadn't been held, we would have scored a passing TD in that game and Smith's rating goes up from 78 to 94. All for a three yard pass at a meaningless time. If Kaep threw that three yard pass, his rating would go from 39.6 to 95.8. Now that 78 yarder that would have been if not for the Jets' timeout, plus the Tukafu TD, it'd be 117.4.

This was just for fun, not defending or creditting either QB for more than what happened, since all QBs have missed TDs due to PI/holding and timeouts.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might show the problems with QB rating but if Tukafu hadn't been held, we would have scored a passing TD in that game and Smith's rating goes up from 78 to 94. All for a three yard pass at a meaningless time. If Kaep threw that three yard pass, his rating would go from 39.6 to 95.8. Now that 78 yarder that would have been if not for the Jets' timeout, plus the Tukafu TD, it'd be 117.4.

This was just for fun, not defending or creditting either QB for more than what happened, since all QBs have missed TDs due to PI/holding and timeouts.

Did you see the pictures I put up on page 3? I think Smith missed two great opportunities to hit Moss for a TD. The safety could have made a play on the 1st one, but the 2nd one was all Randy

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the pictures I put up on page 3? I think Smith missed two great opportunities to hit Moss for a TD. The safety could have made a play on the 1st one, but the 2nd one was all Randy

Oh yeah, I was talking about how the rating could change a lot without that much of an improvement in accuracy, seeing the field, taking more risks, etc. but two plays that were prevented by a timeout and a hold. Not saying we don't need improvement, just lamenting on two plays that were realistically possible without change. Don't get me wrong, change is needed. Smith definitely needs to improve on seeing the field, taking shots, and accuracy.