• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some interesting stats on Jay Cutler

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense sucked as they have all year, special teams sucked worse than I've ever seen, so there's 50 some other players that need to be replaced before Jay. Jay at least is middle of the pack, leaguewise in performance+talent. Rest of the roster is pure junk. Even Forte looks weak.

Ola got benched last night for Groy??? Obviously, Ola goofed because I had zero clue who this Groy guy was/is and he was making mistakes, but different kind. This Oline is a train wreck. We are missing Slauson and I don't think Mills will ever be the same with this foot, plus Garza is getting old.

Moon Mullins on CSN is wrong, we can't run the ball like Dallas, we don't have those horses up front, not even close.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The o-line is shit. Long is a stud, and it stops there.

I really think Trestman sucks. I think he lost faith in Jay early on, and went into a conservative dink and dunk screen shit all year thereafter.

Mel Tucker is a joke. That is all.

...and Joe Decamillas can fuck off too.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The o-line is shit. Long is a stud, and it stops there.

I really think Trestman sucks. I think he lost faith in Jay early on, and went into a conservative dink and dunk screen shit all year thereafter.

Mel Tucker is a joke. That is all.

...and Joe Decamillas can fuck off too.

How does he get off with the 3rd and 15 swing pass call to Forte? Down 21-7…

He literally gave up on the game right there. You knew you couldn't stop them.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They way I'm looking at it: *not defending Tresty- just trying to understand him.

Trestman KNOWS they can't run the ball- They simply can't. Have had 7 or 8 different combo's of Olineman since week one. w/everyone complaining about the number of carries- Tresty simply says What can we do? *that's a really good question. They can't pass block for deeper routes- not with this set of Oline. The receivers can't get separation. So let's call screens as our "run game" and get the ball to our "playmakers" Alshon/Marsall/Forte/Bennett as quickly as we can.

All/most route combos are short- because of Pass blocking issues. (can't hold em very long) Jay's comp. % is up and it's an easier comp. In theory- they should get 4-6 yards. (they don't often enough)

Penalties- ungodly amount of penalties: Typically this season:
Kickoff: Run out 8 yards deep...get to the 17. (10 yard holding call) ball starts on the 7.
1st/10: Quick WR Screen: +2
2nd/8: TE option route: +6
3rd/2: False start
3rd/12: *can't pass block/bad field position- So Screen pass to Forte: + 4
4th/8: PUNT

You can change that to "try and establish the run" on 1st down- and get stopped at the line- AND a holding call... 2nd/20! Screen +4 yards....etc...etc...

Defense gives up a TD on first drive in 5 plays.
KO: Run out 9 yards deep...it continues. a pile of suck... that continues for 2 or 3 drives- before you look up and notice you are down 18-20 points- and you have to abandon the run. And Jay throws a pick/fumble... snowballs.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They way I'm looking at it: *not defending Tresty- just trying to understand him.

Trestman KNOWS they can't run the ball- They simply can't. Have had 7 or 8 different combo's of Olineman since week one. w/everyone complaining about the number of carries- Tresty simply says What can we do? *that's a really good question. They can't pass block for deeper routes- not with this set of Oline. The receivers can't get separation. So let's call screens as our "run game" and get the ball to our "playmakers" Alshon/Marsall/Forte/Bennett as quickly as we can.

Totally agree with this, Joe. People keep complaining about the lack of carries Forte is receiving, yet the team has never shown the ability to run. Dallas, whose run defense isn't all that, showed us we can't even run on middle of the road run defenses without being dominated.

This season, the offensive line has shown they can perform reasonably as far as pass blocking is concerned. Last night they showed they couldn't even do that. A real disaster.

C

cubzzzfanincali

All/most route combos are short- because of Pass blocking issues. (can't hold em very long) Jay's comp. % is up and it's an easier comp. In theory- they should get 4-6 yards. (they don't often enough)

Kickoff: Run out 8 yards deep...get to the 17. (10 yard holding call) ball starts on the 7.

You can change that to "try and establish the run" on 1st down- and get stopped at the line- AND a holding call... 2nd/20! Screen +4 yards....etc...etc...

KO: Run out 9 yards deep...it continues. a pile of suck... that continues for 2 or 3 drives- before you look up and notice you are down 18-20 points- and you have to abandon the run. And Jay throws a pick/fumble... snowballs.

This is the smartest football post you have made on here. I totally agree with everything you've said. The only thing I would add is that when the line was blocking better earlier in the season, there will still problems with turnovers.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kudos Joey! Great post!

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler is on pace to throw for 4241 yards and 32 TD passes. Big-time numbers. His passer rating is 91.7, very good. That has him middle of the pack (17 out of 34), but if you take a closer look you see that #17 ranking is deceiving. The #10 rated passer has a 95.6 rating. The #25 rated passer has an 81.4 rating. So Cutler is only 3.9 points away from #10, but is more than 10 points away from being #25. So he's MUCH closer to being a top third of the league passer than bottom third. He's bunched together with several guys that have played well with a passer rating in the low to mid 90s. Cutler could very easily move up to #10 or #11 with one great game.

So we're talking about a QB that is actually having a very good season statistically. He's playing very well, yet people think he's the big problem. The Bears have the worst defense in the NFL (ranked dead last at 32), and a coach in Trestman that obviously is a poor motivator and bad play caller. Yet the QB that's throwing for over 4000 yards and 30 TDs is the problem? Gotcha.

The answer is to improve the defense and get a coach that knows what he's doing, not get rid of Cutler.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the smartest football post you have made on here. I totally agree with everything you've said. The only thing I would add is that when the line was blocking better earlier in the season, there will still problems with turnovers.

Your right there were still problems with turnovers. Those were much easier to pin on the individuals involved

A forte fumble(Seriously, when is the last time that has happened?)
Cutler making stupid triple coverage force throws.
Miscommunication between cutler/recievers(We will never know 100% who was supposed to do what so they get equal blame there)

This now is just a total team clusterfuck.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your right there were still problems with turnovers. Those were much easier to pin on the individuals involved

A forte fumble(Seriously, when is the last time that has happened?)
Cutler making stupid triple coverage force throws.
Miscommunication between cutler/recievers(We will never know 100% who was supposed to do what so they get equal blame there)

This now is just a total team clusterfuck.

Against Carolina, and it fucked us hard then, too.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler is on pace to throw for 4241 yards and 32 TD passes. Big-time numbers. His passer rating is 91.7, very good. That has him middle of the pack (17 out of 34), but if you take a closer look you see that #17 ranking is deceiving. The #10 rated passer has a 95.6 rating. The #25 rated passer has an 81.4 rating. So Cutler is only 3.9 points away from #10, but is more than 10 points away from being #25. So he's MUCH closer to being a top third of the league passer than bottom third. He's bunched together with several guys that have played well with a passer rating in the low to mid 90s. Cutler could very easily move up to #10 or #11 with one great game.

So we're talking about a QB that is actually having a very good season statistically. He's playing very well, yet people think he's the big problem. The Bears have the worst defense in the NFL (ranked dead last at 32), and a coach in Trestman that obviously is a poor motivator and bad play caller. Yet the QB that's throwing for over 4000 yards and 30 TDs is the problem? Gotcha.

The answer is to improve the defense and get a coach that knows what he's doing, not get rid of Cutler.

:L Conveniently leaves out the league-leading turnovers.

Look Tebow, stats fucking lie. Is there an asterisk in there, that tells ya that the vast majority of those stats came in fucking garbage-time, when the game was loooooong-over?

Is Cutler the biggest problem on this team? I don't think so, but to cite his stats in his defense, particularly this season, is just dumb and you need to stop it.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against Carolina, and it fucked us hard then, too.

I meant before that fumble, sorry.

It just seems like forever since he's fumbled. and now he's done it 2x this year.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Just out of curiosity, do you watch the actual games, or the box scores? Stats do have their uses, no kidding, but they shouldn't replace interpreting the game by watching it. And by the way, you shouldn't forget the statistic that tallies turnovers, because that's pretty much the issue we are all whining about.

Somewhere....I don't know where...but somewhere, I read a stat that basically said the Bears have only had a lead in like one game out of the last 9 in the first half. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like that. This isn't a trivial detail. It is forcing the Bears to pass more, and allowing other teams to keep running. I haven't seen the stat, but a lot of Cutler's yards and TDs are coming after the game is basically over. This week was a classic example of that. Where Cutler isn't executing is in the first half, when the game is more or less being determined. In that respect, I'd bet Cutler is in the bottom half of the league - statistically. I don't know that, it is just an intuitive guess. Anyone have this number handy?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, do you watch the actual games, or the box scores? Stats do have their uses, no kidding, but they shouldn't replace interpreting the game by watching it. And by the way, you shouldn't forget the statistic that tallies turnovers, because that's pretty much the issue we are all whining about.

Somewhere....I don't know where...but somewhere, I read a stat that basically said the Bears have only had a lead in like one game out of the last 9 in the first half. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like that. This isn't a trivial detail. It is forcing the Bears to pass more, and allowing other teams to keep running. I haven't seen the stat, but a lot of Cutler's yards and TDs are coming after the game is basically over. This week was a classic example of that. Where Cutler isn't executing is in the first half, when the game is more or less being determined. In that respect, I'd bet Cutler is in the bottom half of the league - statistically. I don't know that, it is just an intuitive guess. Anyone have this number handy?

Yes, Cutler has thrown quite a few of his touchdowns when the game was out of reach. He definitely has also thrown 3 or 4 INT's on desperation plays late. But no doubt, in the second half of the NE game, and the 4th quarter of the Dallas game. There was a lot of stat padding going on for Jay. Yardage, TD's, completions, etc…

Put it this way… there's a reason why Jon Kitna was a top fantasy QB in Detroit for a season.

All of that said, I actually thought Jay played well against Dallas.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're absolutely correct, Cubzzzfanincali.

Statistic are great and statistics are very useful, but statistics do need context. You provided an accurate context for those "Big-Time Numbers."

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get that... and yes Jay's stats are padded by "garbage" time. But I think what get's lost and is frustrating is that many attribute that to Jay failing in the first half.
When in reality... just like the typical offensive output I mentioned earlier- is when they have poor field position on KO returns, they try/can't establish the run, have penalties, and have to punt... multiple drives early...(yes you can attribute some of that to the QB, but we have all seen what they are actually trying to do and it not working)

And the Defense doesn't force the opponent to do anything- Quick drives for points. They are down early. Only forcing one punt in two games.

The D has given up 40 TD's 30 of those are in the first half. Is that because they "stiffen up" in the second half- or because the opponent has let off the gas and is just trying to run out the clock?

20 of the 34 TD's the offense has scored have come in the second half. They are down big early. What are the supposed to do? Quit? Not score? I'm also willing to bet that if it was flipped- and they scored early and not in the second half- some would use that as a negative for Jay. "The guy folds when it matters!!" No matter what- it's his fault.

But there have been plenty of games where the Bears have lead in TOP and still lost big. That tells me the defense is giving up big plays. They have also missed FG's and a couple of bad drives before halftime (GB comes to mind- Bennett's catch on the GL as time expired. would have changed the game a lot)

Stats- everyone likes em when they support their POV.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Conveniently leaves out the league-leading turnovers.

Look Tebow, stats fucking lie. Is there an asterisk in there, that tells ya that the vast majority of those stats came in fucking garbage-time, when the game was loooooong-over?

Is Cutler the biggest problem on this team? I don't think so, but to cite his stats in his defense, particularly this season, is just dumb and you need to stop it.

Stats do lie here.....And he forgot to mention all of Jays timely interceptions.
Sure Jay has upside.....But he will never give up throwing them damn timely interceptions.

Look at the end of the Detroit and Dallas games. Both had game ending ints. In the end zone.
And how many times have you seen him under throw receivers? He seems to never be able to hit a wr in stride either.

..We will NEVER win with him........This is where the team needs to start.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats do lie here.....And he forgot to mention all of Jays timely interceptions.
Sure Jay has upside.....But he will never give up throwing them damn timely interceptions.

Look at the end of the Detroit and Dallas games. Both had game ending ints. In the end zone.
And how many times have you seen him under throw receivers? He seems to never be able to hit a wr in stride either.

Then what was the interception last game in garbage time? Don't count that? It goes both ways. Not totally trying to defend Jay here, but he isn't the entire problem, not a large amount of the problem, not even a medium amount of the problem.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Not totally trying to defend Jay here, but he isn't the entire problem, not a large amount of the problem, not even a medium amount of the problem.

He is definitely not the entire problem, but he is definitely at least a medium amount of the problem.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never.