• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

some gems in today's Down Goes Brown

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feaster is adamant that is not the way it would go down so the legal battle would have been awesome and then ROR would be locked up not playing for anyone until resolved oh man the drama :D

faint-o.gif

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some great stories in here.
not the classic DGB format, but he's been writing good stuff for Grantland for a bit now.

Great Debacles in NHL History - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

The “have another doughnut” incident is one of the most memorable in league history (we had some fun with it a few weeks back), and most fans know the main details: the alleged ref bump, the “you fat pig” insult, the suspension of Devils coach Jim Schoenfeld, the restraining order, the wildcat referee strike, and finally the replacement officials in yellow jackets who couldn’t skate.

But the story actually includes a mystery subplot that’s been largely forgotten: Why did the Devils go to court for a restraining order in the first place? Why didn’t they just appeal their coach’s suspension to league president John Ziegler?

As it turns out, they had a good excuse. During an embarrassing crisis occurring in the middle of the conference finals, Ziegler couldn’t be located. He just went missing. For days

I remember the missing Zig problem. That whole thing was a total mess.

Wondering how I never heard about Taro Tsujimoto before. That is hysterical.

The Taro Tsujimoto rookie card: Honoring an unreal player - Puck Daddy - NHL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

I need one of those cards.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would so marry that guy. He cracks me up every single time. :lol:

Edit: DGB, not Pronger. eww.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
lol, and ouch.

February 20, 1998 - Pronger plays for Team Canada in their infamous loss to the Czech Republic at the Nagono Olympics, but does not get a turn in the shootout because he is a defenceman and that would be stupid.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A generation of Winnipeg schoolkids will grow up seeing a “Southeast Division champs” banner hanging from the rafters, then go on to fail every geography class they take for the rest of their lives.

LOL

and the backup goaltender they exiled to Columbus is playing way better than their $51 million starter.

:yahoo:

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down Goes Brown: What's gone wrong with the Toronto Maple Leafs?

•Dion Phaneuf still demonstrates his leadership by cranking up the volume on the dressing room stereo, but this year all the songs sound mysteriously like they're being sung by him and always include lyrics about how nice it would be to play with an NHL-caliber defense partner for a change.

•Several players admit to being distracted by the constant barrage of offer sheets they keep receiving from a confused Jay Feaster.

•While Mark Fraser has been a solid third-pairing defensemen, every Maple Leaf fan knows that when it comes down to the really crucial pressure situation you can never rely on a guy named Fraser to do his job.

•To be honest, everyone is still kind of creeped out by that shadowy figure lurking in the ACC rafters, laughing ominously while wearing a half-mask and loosened tie.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great exchange today between Down Goes Brown and Zach Boychuk

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown
There was just a knock at my door and when I opened it Zach Boychuk was sitting on the doorstep with a note attached saying "Your turn".

Zach Boychuk ‏@ZachBoychuk
Are we just going to hangout for a few weeks @DownGoesBrown or do you have a plan?

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown
@ZachBoychuk You're good with kids, right?

Zach Boychuk @ZachBoychuk
@DownGoesBrown the best. I just hope they don't get too attached

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calgary Flames - Are still in excellent shape to contend for the playoffs yet again according to the high-end software they've relied on for all front office decisions over the past few years, a used PlayStation 2 copy of NHL 2005.

I thought it was Blades of Steel

Colorado Avalanche - Team sources say coach Joe Sacco spends hours every day on a web site dedicated to complicated hockey analytics and in-depth research, or at least they assume that's what that "Monster.com" is.

He should have been canned last year

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL Trade Deadline: Evaluating Jarome Iginla's Possible Life Choices - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Never get traded, play your entire career with one team, win multiple Stanley Cups and become a legend in that city, and then suddenly come back years later to play for their rival

Also known as: “The Guy Lafleur.”

Cons: In Iginla’s case, it would mean playing for the Oilers four or five years from now, and would he really want to play for a team that was still in the middle of a rebuild?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Iginla’s case, it would mean playing for the Oilers four or five years from now, and would he really want to play for a team that was still in the middle of a rebuild?

Ouch - Both of Alberta's NHL teams are in trouble, meanwhile the rest of the Canadian teams would be in the playoffs if they started today.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ooof sorry Dash

Jagr: Got to witness teammate Ulf Samuelsson scoring the Stanley Cup-winning goal against the North Stars in 1991, although the moment was somewhat anti-climactic since the game ended up being an 8-0 blowout.
Iginla: Got to witness teammate Martin Gelinas scoring the Stanley Cup-winning goal against the Lightning in 2004, although the moment was somewhat anti-climactic since everyone eventually decided to just give the Cup to Tampa Bay anyways.