• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So with all the receivers hurt

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out why Cam Newton is a consensus top 4 QB. I have him 9th and nowhere near the first four rounds. Obviously this means I won't own him this year, but that's fine with me. Could someone please tell me why he's a "lock" to outscore Brady, Ryan, Stafford, RG3, Kaep, RW, Luck??? I understand the rush TD thing, but is that it? Do we think he'll be 30 TD and single digit INT?? I sure don't.

Look at last year? he had to bail his own running game out and it seems the panthers are pulling the same crap again. Stewart will be back when season starts and he'll interrupt Deangelo's resurgence. He did have quite a few big games as well. Brady actually didnt score more fantasy points last year. But every time I have drafted Brady I have been burned. he never steps up for me. Cam had big games against:
Saints 2x
Falcons 2x
Bears
Redskins
Bucs
Eagles
Chargers

So yeah Cam has produced in the 30s at times. And when the panthers ran well, Cam had points.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed if you are just in it to have fun and not care about winning then take what you want when you want.. but if you are serious about winning a league you can not take people off the board just because you dont like the team.. i try to avoid certain players due to injury risk, offseason aquisitions, or past accomplishments or lack there of.. but not because of who they play for..

Its not really all that much of a differece. If I don't want Julio, there's Marshall. If I don't want Jackson, there's CJ2K, Ridley, or Gore and all with reliable backups more than Jackson. Gonzo had one good year last year but i do not think it happens again and given in that first qtr preseason game, it appears Atlanta's offense might have problems this year losing their starting RT. I always plan backup strategies in this. In first round I like McCoy or TRich or AP or Foster. In second I like Brees or Rodgers or Marshall or Green or CJ2k or Ridley. In third I like Fitz or Jackson and Cruz or Cobb...............I have a backup planned in case I don't get the desired player.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the OP......passing TD's worth 6pts in your league?

How many teams?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L

imho the problem does not lie with the lack of an elite Qb but with the fact that an elite Qb might not have been available from your draft position..i feel that the mistake was taking Rivers in the 4th and not waiting until a few rounds later and drafting a qb that is and was as good as or even better than Rivers...

No I didnt. Brees, Brady, Rodgers were all taken. I drafted 10th. And Rivers was probably the second worst starting QB last year fantasy wise. But another mistake I made was not getting a WR until fifth.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the OP......passing TD's worth 6pts in your league?

How many teams?

Yes, and 12. NFL.com's standard is 4 points but that was not the case when they used CBS as part of their site. CBS and Fox are 6 points for TDs. I try to base the team off of CBS's standards except I have six playoff spots because its full of dedicated owners.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure what the goal of this post is. You have some very intelligent fantasy football minds who are offering you advice and telling you to be flexible. If you go in with too much of a set plan, you are likely to draft another bad team.

My advice is to be open minded. If Brees is the best guy on your draft board in round 2, then take him. If you want a DST in round 7, then do it up. It is your team, so do what makes you happy.

Understand though, many of the replies you have received on here are from some very experienced fantasy players who do well in their leagues every year. If your goal is to draft the best possible team, then you may want to rethink some of the strategies that you have settled on.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am listening to his advice. But everytime I have an elite QB my team goes on to do well. Receivers will pop up on free agency and I always go for ones on solid passing teams or ones who are in situational stats(Shorts on the road pre-Henne). Also, I learned that the draft doesnt win the whole championship. Free agency plays a role and I'm a heads on active owner. Even with my main defense, I play matchups on them and kickers. Usually mid season my FFtoday site I use comes in handy to help me get the right kickers each week and defenses. I asked advice but I have it figured out what I want to do now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with getting an elite QB in a 12 team league, just try not to reach too far.

The defense thing though, you really should reconsider. If you like to play match-ups, then drafting a D in round 7 is a wasted pick because there are some very valuable WRs and RBs to be had there.

In fact, if you waited until the end of your draft and grabbed a team with a great week 1 match-up, like the Steelers vs. Tennessee and choose another match-up each week, you can piece together scoring on the level of the Seahawks or 9ers.

The thing is, your current strategy doesn't give you a ton of margin for error. If you proceed and take a QB in the 2nd, a TE in the 6th and a D in the 7th, your backs and WRs will be scary thin. If you miss on one of those early picks like you did with DMC and FJax last year, it is basically season over.

One thing I have learned in FF is that depth is vital because some of your top picks will not pan out, no matter how well you plan.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with getting an elite QB in a 12 team league, just try not to reach too far.

The defense thing though, you really should reconsider. If you like to play match-ups, then drafting a D in round 7 is a wasted pick because there are some very valuable WRs and RBs to be had there.

In fact, if you waited until the end of your draft and grabbed a team with a great week 1 match-up, like the Steelers vs. Tennessee and choose another match-up each week, you can piece together scoring on the level of the Seahawks or 9ers.

The thing is, your current strategy doesn't give you a ton of margin for error. If you proceed and take a QB in the 2nd, a TE in the 6th and a D in the 7th, your backs and WRs will be scary thin. If you miss on one of those early picks like you did with DMC and FJax last year, it is basically season over.

One thing I have learned in FF is that depth is vital because some of your top picks will not pan out, no matter how well you plan.

I'm thinking about it. Here's something though. I played matchups on defense last year in that league. Didnt even draft a top defense. But defenses are very hard to play early on. Pittsburgh could blow out titans but could also let up and allow garbage TD or two. Last year dolphins blew out bills and still scored single digits in dst points.
This was my 2011 team...............
1st-McCoy 2nd-Brees 3rd-VJac 4th-Davis 5th-DWill 6th-Ocho Cinco 7th-Eagles 8th-S Smith 9th-Stewart 10th-McNabb 11th-Not sure 12th-Gronk 13th-Falcons 14th/15th-cannot remember
My team actually started out 4-1 despite having a weak 2nd back, and 3rd receiver. I got Sproles week 4 and Garcon. Then I had a 3 week hiatus where I lost two close games and then picked up Robinson and Bush(Reggie) to fill out the weak spots. I also though week 3 started Gronk over Davis and kept it that way every week. Davis was on my bench.

I have done mocks. So I have a week before making a final decision.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call.

No player at any position (even AP) is going to put up elite numbers every week. DST is as much about the match-up as it is about the defense itself. Week 1 match-ups are always tough, but I would take the Steelers, who are traditionally tough on the run facing a team with poor QB play, over the 9ers any day. Any team facing Aaron Rogers scares the crap out of me.

If you lock in to an elite defense AND still play match-ups, you aren't really using your resources very well. If you are going to reach and draft a top notch defense, then you might as well start them every week and use those bench spots on RBs and WRs.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw I meant raiders not bills that dolphins blew out and didnt get double digit points. This year defenses may do well against Rodgers who lost Bulaga(?) and has receivers all banged up and hurt.

My plan atm is for sure a RB round 1 unless I am picking 11th or 12th and my preferred RBs are gone, then I may go for a top receiver or Brees.
In the event I draft Brees I am only getting him if I pick 11th or 12th. I believe picking 7th or higher presents risk he'll be gone in second round before my pick
If I pick later
McCoy or TRich
Brees
McFadden(he did not do bad when he returned from injury) or Cruz
Cruz(if he's there), Miller, or Gronkowski
Welker/S Smith/Wallace or Sproles/Bradshaw/Matthews
Witten/Davis or Desean/Jennings/Nelson
Texans or Bears
Boldin/James Jones /Austin
Ingram(he did do well late in the year) or Bryce Brown(McCoy's handcuff)
Ingram if I can get him 10th
I would draft unsure receivers Little/Gordon, Broyles, Hopkins(Andre won't do it all and texans are predictable) or Patterson(only if I draft Jennings), Thompkins, VBrown(now with Floyd and Alexander hurt). Two of those.
And for backup tightend, Jordan Cameron. If my starting tightend doesnt pan out, I will need a backup. Heath Miller when healthy will still be Big Ben's red zone target and may go undrafted.

This would leave me with this starting lineup
Brees
McCoy
McFadden
Cruz
Smith
Boldin or Ingram
Witten
texans
kicker of the week.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw I meant raiders not bills that dolphins blew out and didnt get double digit points. This year defenses may do well against Rodgers who lost Bulaga(?) and has receivers all banged up and hurt.

My plan atm is for sure a RB round 1 unless I am picking 11th or 12th and my preferred RBs are gone, then I may go for a top receiver or Brees.
In the event I draft Brees I am only getting him if I pick 11th or 12th. I believe picking 7th or higher presents risk he'll be gone in second round before my pick
If I pick later
McCoy or TRich
Brees
McFadden(he did not do bad when he returned from injury) or Cruz
Cruz(if he's there), Miller, or Gronkowski
Welker/S Smith/Wallace or Sproles/Bradshaw/Matthews
Witten/Davis or Desean/Jennings/Nelson
Texans or Bears
Boldin/James Jones /Austin
Ingram(he did do well late in the year) or Bryce Brown(McCoy's handcuff)
Ingram if I can get him 10th
I would draft unsure receivers Little/Gordon, Broyles, Hopkins(Andre won't do it all and texans are predictable) or Patterson(only if I draft Jennings), Thompkins, VBrown(now with Floyd and Alexander hurt). Two of those.
And for backup tightend, Jordan Cameron. If my starting tightend doesnt pan out, I will need a backup. Heath Miller when healthy will still be Big Ben's red zone target and may go undrafted.

This would leave me with this starting lineup
Brees
McCoy
McFadden
Cruz
Smith
Boldin or Ingram
Witten
texans
kicker of the week.

So you are planning to take a defense in the 7th round that is not the 9ers or the Seahawks? Colossal mistake IMO. Especially with the two glass RBs you are targeting. That team lacks upside when healthy, what happens when either Shady or Mcfaddy (or both) get hurt?

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what, I took Brees in the 1st round...but I made sure to load my bench up so that I could trade for another stud RB. That just so happened to work for me. The safer route is to go for Kaepernick,Stafford,etc. in round 4. Get 2 stud RB's and depending on the situation you can probably sneak in a reciever in the next round.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the leagues that I've been a part of. But I don't see a whole lot of trading. Period.

Therefore I think its a dangerous strategy while drafting to focus more on potential "trade bait" than on the strength and depth of your team.

Imagine loading up a stud receivers thinking that their value would equal a stud RB? It might seem like a fair trade to the guy with the 3 stud WR, but is trading AP for Fitzgerald fair? Even from a couple of years ago? (Disclaimer: any similarities to actual events are purely coincidental.)

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the leagues that I've been a part of. But I don't see a whole lot of trading. Period.

Therefore I think its a dangerous strategy while drafting to focus more on potential "trade bait" than on the strength and depth of your team.

Imagine loading up a stud receivers thinking that their value would equal a stud RB? It might seem like a fair trade to the guy with the 3 stud WR, but is trading AP for Fitzgerald fair? Even from a couple of years ago? (Disclaimer: any similarities to actual events are purely coincidental.)

Well personally, MJD was apart of my trade bait because I had 3 good rb's. The thing is this, I put together my starters but at the same time I was able to nab some good trade bait. Part of the reason I felt comfortable doing this is because Espn is one of the sites that doesn't put a limit on the amount of roster spots you can have at one position. So right now, my bench is pretty much made of RB's, WR's, with Andy Dalton as my backup QB(not like I need a backup QB until Drew's bye wk.) and i'll even it out by the time the season hits.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out why Cam Newton is a consensus top 4 QB. I have him 9th and nowhere near the first four rounds. Obviously this means I won't own him this year, but that's fine with me. Could someone please tell me why he's a "lock" to outscore Brady, Ryan, Stafford, RG3, Kaep, RW, Luck??? I understand the rush TD thing, but is that it? Do we think he'll be 30 TD and single digit INT?? I sure don't.

Because he has been a top 5 QB both of his 1st 2 years. He will put up a ton of yards passing and running and score a lot of TD's. He only threw what 12-13 INTs last year?

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T
herefore I think its a dangerous strategy while drafting to focus more on potential "trade bait" than on the strength and depth of your team.

As Joe stated above

IMHO very dangerous I would never draft to trade draft to build your team

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are planning to take a defense in the 7th round that is not the 9ers or the Seahawks? Colossal mistake IMO. Especially with the two glass RBs you are targeting. That team lacks upside when healthy, what happens when either Shady or Mcfaddy (or both) get hurt?

I plan to draft their handcuffs. Bryce Brown on the eagles and for the raiders who ever ends up the no.2 back. At this rate it appears the backup will be on FA during the season anyways.

I will be honest.....................Thats where the top defenses are being drafted in 7th/8th rounds. I could get steelers later but I'm honestly nervous.