• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So with all the receivers hurt

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna need to really consider my draft strategy. I have to have a big QB and I am settling on either Brees or Newton. In scrimmage, Brees got sacked and pressured a lot. I'm wondering if its the lack on LT or if our defense is going to be that improved.

If I decide I want Brees I'm taking him second round if he's there. Then that means I have to go wr for third round. And in fourth I will have to decide on wr 2 or rb 2. Only Miller stands out among rbs this round. WR though is starting to thin, Idk if reaching for Welker is ideal(he's 5th round at NFL) here. Cruz will probably be my first receiver taken. Or should I take the chance on Gronk? If I go receiver, I can probably get Sproles and Davis next two and will have all solved but my flex. If I go tight end, I will go for Welker or Smith fifth, maybe Brown(but I'd have to get Wheaton). If I go runningback, same thing Welker or Smith fifth. And get Davis sixth round. Its a tough decision really, and with all the injuries can only hope Desean is there in 8th or Boldin.

If I decide I want Newton, I am going to have to decide between rb2 or wr for round 2. Is rb 2 better than getting a stud receiver when there's a shortage of them happening? This would mean I go for Newton round 3 or 4 and then can get a rb 2 or wr in one of those rounds. I mean it could work out if I went rb, rb, qb especially if in fourth rounds I'm able to land Cruz and Welker in fifth and may have a shot at Desean and Boldin in 8th and 9th. I have to get defense round 7. On the flip, if I go wr 2nd then I may have to just take Gronk fourth and go for Sproles or Bradshaw fifth(don't trust colts).

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you exoectingvus to add to that ? ;) Sounds like you got it all planned out.

And my only advice would be to blow off QB altogether until Rd4 or 5. So im probably not much help.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the questionable tight end positions I have to get a QB of high proportions. People say that a later QB scored 4-6 points less than a elite QB. But those elite QBs can sometimes score into the 30s and 40s. And its important for me to have a QB that knows how to score like that. You can't rely on a no.1 receiver to score double digits every week unless its one of two receivers. Jones I will not even touch for obvious reasons and he had some subpar games against Denver, Carolina, Oakland, New Orleans last year.

Last year in my favorite league my team was an absolute joke, I drafted McFadden, Graham, Jackson(Fred), and Rivers with my first four. i had no elite QB, elite receiver, and early on elite runningback until Spiller, who i drafted later, came along. I quickly traded all four top picks away and my fifth, which was Brown, the first receiver I drafted. I didnt even win until week 11 thanks to Schaub(who became my starter after Rivers) and Andre. There is so much uncertainty with all those QBs after round 4. CK, Wilson, RG3? And like Julio, i won't go after Ryan. Having a good QB goes a long way especially since I base my success on the right free agent pick ups during the season. QB is hard to get compared to wide receiver and even rb when the starters start becoming clear upon injuries.

TK21775

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the choice is to get RB2 or WR2 first I'd have to say RB although it depends who's available. Once Miller goes off the board I see Ball and Bell left and then it's a big dropoff. I have been grabbing one or two of those three in mocks to see what WR's are still left later on. Normally Mike Williams (Josh Freeman knows he has to put it together this season), Tavon Austin, TY Hilton, James Jones have all been available for me and like you said DeSean has been around as well. I'm fairly happy with the way this process has turned out but I'm a Ryan fan and grabbing him in RD 5 so I'm also getting a WR1 or RB2 (Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson) depending on what spot I'm picking from that you would pass up to get Brees

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out why Cam Newton is a consensus top 4 QB. I have him 9th and nowhere near the first four rounds. Obviously this means I won't own him this year, but that's fine with me. Could someone please tell me why he's a "lock" to outscore Brady, Ryan, Stafford, RG3, Kaep, RW, Luck??? I understand the rush TD thing, but is that it? Do we think he'll be 30 TD and single digit INT?? I sure don't.

TK21775

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still trying to figure out why Cam Newton is a consensus top 4 QB. I have him 9th and nowhere near the first four rounds. Obviously this means I won't own him this year, but that's fine with me. Could someone please tell me why he's a "lock" to outscore Brady, Ryan, Stafford, RG3, Kaep, RW, Luck??? I understand the rush TD thing, but is that it? Do we think he'll be 30 TD and single digit INT?? I sure don't.

ESPN said he averaged 7.7 points just from his rushing stats per game, not to mention his passing points. I'm not a Newton fan but it would be nice to get extra rushing points like that from the QB position and with Steve Smith he has a deep threat for passing. However there's just something about that guy that I refuse to cheer for him which is why I don't want him for my fantasy QB.

One QB that keeps getting lowered is Wilson as everyone thinks that losing Harvin is a serious blow to him but they fail to realize that Harvin wasn't on the team last season and Wilson did just fine. Does it hurt to lose a player like Harvin? Of course but it's not like Harvin was Wilson's main target last season since they weren't even on the same team.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees#1 - i think being completely averse to drafting falcons (because you are a saints fan??) really limits your drafting strategy. QB1, 2 WR1s, RB1b (SJax could be considered a really high end RB2, but still), TE1 all on the Falcons, yet you refuse to draft Ryan and Jones?

doesnt seem like you are in it to win, so I wouldnt stress too much over your draft. Just grab the players that you like, and have fun.

If you really want advice, grab Brees if you want him and if he's available in the 2nd round. If not, wait until round 5 or 6 to get your QB, then draft your backup QB -- if you really think you need a top backup since you waited a few rounds to get your starter -- before everyone else starts taking their backups.

something like this order, obviously dont stick to this exactly:
RB, WR/RB, RB/WR(whichever you dont get in rd2), WR, QB, TE, RB, WR, QB, WR

I think you'd do just fine waiting until round 11 before grabbing your DST. When I hear someone say "I have to get my defense in round 7" or "and like Julio, I won't go after Ryan" I usually think of someone that finishes near the bottom of the league. You never know what players will fall to you in your draft, so why take certain players off your board? especially when those players are fantasy producers.

Just some food for thought

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN said he averaged 7.7 points just from his rushing stats per game, not to mention his passing points. I'm not a Newton fan but it would be nice to get extra rushing points like that from the QB position and with Steve Smith he has a deep threat for passing. However there's just something about that guy that I refuse to cheer for him which is why I don't want him for my fantasy QB.

One QB that keeps getting lowered is Wilson as everyone thinks that losing Harvin is a serious blow to him but they fail to realize that Harvin wasn't on the team last season and Wilson did just fine. Does it hurt to lose a player like Harvin? Of course but it's not like Harvin was Wilson's main target last season since they weren't even on the same team.

I think newton as well as most of the "read option" qb are going to minimize the rushing this year. After RGIII blew out the knee most coaches are stressing the pass first mentality.. some players will be ok with and i think newton will but his points will drop this year because of that.

I read ona report that i now cant find .. that coaches are trying to get the qbs to ditch the ball rather then them run with it. Pure passers should leap back in front this year.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees#1 - i think being completely averse to drafting falcons (because you are a saints fan??) really limits your drafting strategy. QB1, 2 WR1s, RB1b (SJax could be considered a really high end RB2, but still), TE1 all on the Falcons, yet you refuse to draft Ryan and Jones?

doesnt seem like you are in it to win, so I wouldnt stress too much over your draft. Just grab the players that you like, and have fun.

If you really want advice, grab Brees if you want him and if he's available in the 2nd round. If not, wait until round 5 or 6 to get your QB, then draft your backup QB -- if you really think you need a top backup since you waited a few rounds to get your starter -- before everyone else starts taking their backups.

something like this order, obviously dont stick to this exactly:
RB, WR/RB, RB/WR(whichever you dont get in rd2), WR, QB, TE, RB, WR, QB, WR

I think you'd do just fine waiting until round 11 before grabbing your DST. When I hear someone say "I have to get my defense in round 7" or "and like Julio, I won't go after Ryan" I usually think of someone that finishes near the bottom of the league. You never know what players will fall to you in your draft, so why take certain players off your board? especially when those players are fantasy producers.

Just some food for thought

agreed if you are just in it to have fun and not care about winning then take what you want when you want.. but if you are serious about winning a league you can not take people off the board just because you dont like the team.. i try to avoid certain players due to injury risk, offseason aquisitions, or past accomplishments or lack there of.. but not because of who they play for..

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cam newton will fall to 7th QB in most peoples drafts, but not because of his fantasy value. Even though i think he is top 5 QB, it is very hard to take him before Brady... Even if Brady is expected to be worse than previous years... And Kaep, Wilson, Luck and RGIII are sexier picks... But Cam is safe, he is safe for 700 rushing yards, safe for 25+ TD and safe for 3200 Passing yards... Cam is safer than Kaep, wilson luck and RGIII... and in the early rounds it is often better to take the least amount of risk as possible...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think newton as well as most of the "read option" qb are going to minimize the rushing this year. After RGIII blew out the knee most coaches are stressing the pass first mentality.. some players will be ok with and i think newton will but his points will drop this year because of that.

I read ona report that i now cant find .. that coaches are trying to get the qbs to ditch the ball rather then them run with it. Pure passers should leap back in front this year.

This will not affect Cam newton, he has done it the last 2 seasons... He is a large man, and he is much harder to take down and therefore he can take more hits than the other mobile QBs...

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that and he is improving as a passer.. look at what he accomplished in the second half last year.. his passing numbers and effiecincy (yes i can not spell) were much better.. i think out of the read option qb he is possibly the best passer of the group. but.. in the second half his rushing numbers also went down.. it also helps that the panthers can not figure out the rb situation as well..

kaep has gore.. wilson has lynch .. rgII has morris.. newton has.. Dwill and Jstew.. newton almost has to run..

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coaches, analysts, media..sometimes even the players themselves have been saying this ever since the days of Randall Cunningham, Kordell Stewart, and Steve Young..probably even further back...but every year. Players do what they do to make plays, and coaches call the plays that work...little if anything has ever changed. It's basically the equivilant of every ciach of an offensive chalkenged team saying this at preseason - "this year, we're gonna open it uo, speed up the tempo" how many times have we heard that one?? This is the same thing. When the chips are down, Shanny is gonna call that read option as long as he thinks it'll get him a W

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches, analysts, media..sometimes even the players themselves have been saying this ever since the days of Randall Cunningham, Kordell Stewart, and Steve Young..probably even further back...but every year. Players do what they do to make plays, and coaches call the plays that work...little if anything has ever changed. It's basically the equivilant of every ciach of an offensive chalkenged team saying this at preseason - "this year, we're gonna open it uo, speed up the tempo" how many times have we heard that one?? This is the same thing. When the chips are down, Shanny is gonna call that read option as long as he thinks it'll get him a W

and bring in kirk cousins when RGIII blows out his knee again.. but then again shanny would give bjs before the game if he thought it would get him the W

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and bring in kirk cousins when RGIII blows out his knee again.. but then again shanny would give bjs before the game if he thought it would get him the W
I'd like to say "no he wouldn't"...but something tells me he just might..lol

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cousins looked like he could handle the job if they turn over the reigns (so far at least)

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy in my auction league took RGIII and backed him up with Cousins. Not a bad play, in my opinion. Especially in a snake draft league where nobody will ever draft Cousins, so you can take him last and take a DST/K a round earlier.

I think it's interesting how often back-up QBs who aren't good starters have great games - even long strings of them - off the bench.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats an interesting thought wil.. just thinking about the patriots after reading it.. what would have happened had bledsoe not gotten hurt.. or brady have a bad game as a back up.. there are a lot of guys that started off as back up and go in for a game or two and then find them selves mirred in mediocrity when they leave to be starters some where.. look at flynn.. had a good game or two behind rodgers.. went to the hawks.. couldnt win the starter spot so went to the raiders.. now he gets a chance to start.. but for how long? the list is long and probably not distinguished..

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L
ast year in my favorite league my team was an absolute joke, I drafted McFadden, Graham, Jackson(Fred), and Rivers with my first four. i had no elite QB,

imho the problem does not lie with the lack of an elite Qb but with the fact that an elite Qb might not have been available from your draft position..i feel that the mistake was taking Rivers in the 4th and not waiting until a few rounds later and drafting a qb that is and was as good as or even better than Rivers...