• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So with all the receivers hurt

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have done some mocks and well I tried two strategies where I didnt draft QB until round 5.

Here was draft A
Chris Johnson
Brandon Marshall
Demarco Murray
Rob Gronkowski
Matthew Stafford
Tony Romo
Desean Jackson
Cardinals
Anquan Boldin
Reserves-Randle, Cooper, Ingram, Miller(Heath)

Draft B
Lynch
Marshall(fell that late)
Cruz
Bell
Stafford
Matthews(he has easy matchups if healthy)
Texans
Cameron
Reserves-Tavon, Boldin, Hilton, Dwyer, Heath Miller.

Compared to what I would do if I went for a QB(in draft B he and Rodgers were gone first)
A
C.Johnson
Brees
Murray
Amendola
Welker
Witten
Bears or Texans
Flex player-Miles Austin, Anquan Boldin, TY Hilton, two of them in 8/9
Ingram 10th
Reserves-Thompkins, Randle, Heath(regardless because Witten isnt always targeted)

Basically
Brees>Stafford and Romo(alternately)
C.Johnson
Murray
Marshall>Amendola
Jackson>Welker(yes really Jackson is low because recent stats)
Boldin
Gronk healthy>Witten
Texans or Bears>Cards
The primary draft would have outnumbered the optional draft 3-2. Brees over Stafford which is about 6-8 points difference per game. Marshall only because of every week production just about would beat Amendola by an average of 5 per game(Amedola could get 13 a game while Marshall 18), Jackson beats Welker by about 5 per game as well(12 for Welker, 17 for Jackson). And if healthy Gronk beats Witten by about 10 per game(Witten 10 Gronk 20). So yeah it appears that waiting for a QB does have its value. Yet at the same time, its not much except TE and who knows when Gronk returns. Personally it makes a difference in blowing up week in week out and scoring in the 130s. But there's always waiver wire gems to pick up and ones that are on good offenses have a tendency to be consistent. Brees had a streak with Meachem, Rodgers with Jones, and Manning with Garcon at certain points. Also Romo with Robinson(why is this guy not signed by a team he can play well if he's not a no.1 and on a good offense).

And in draft B if I went early for QB
Lynch
Marshall
Newton
Bell
Nelson
Matthews
Texans
Cameron
Same reserves-Hilton, Boldin, Tavon

Cam>Stafford
Lynch
Bell
Marshall
Cruz>Nelson(and early on Tavon, Boldin)
Matthews
Cameron
Texans

When you look at this there really isnt much difference. When Nelson is healthy he has the chance to do well in most home games and when Rodgers needs to go deep. Also Boldin, Austin are sleeper no.1s and in games where colts have to throw the ball and in strong games Hilton is likely to be productive. Playing the matchups would be key here for the second wr spot and flex. Honestly with how I draft, I'm getting a slight lesser wr but better QB. And if picking early 1st the backs are gone only leaving Gore, Jackson, MJD that you would consider in the 2nd. And my fantasy friend who is a broncos fan thinks Blount will take carries away from Ridley. And with the players moving up drafts thanks to preseason taking a QB early now is not so taboo. Players like Amendola, Ingram, Cameron are suddenly moving ahead of where they should be drafted showing it wasnt so much injuries for Amendola thar made him fourth it was his past resume. That leaves slim options in fourth round for a solid low end no.1 with true no.1 potential. Usually i always draft players based on the possible upside. You can't win in a league with less than 2 no.1 receivers. So i'll do more of these wait for QB mocks with my draft a week from now I'm just not seeing too much of a huge difference.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what, I took Brees in the 1st round...but I made sure to load my bench up so that I could trade for another stud RB. That just so happened to work for me. The safer route is to go for Kaepernick,Stafford,etc. in round 4. Get 2 stud RB's and depending on the situation you can probably sneak in a reciever in the next round.

Well I ended up unfortunately doing that...............
I drafted Lynch with the first pick
I then got Cobb(in a 12 team and 23rd pick)
Then MJD was still there
Then I went Luck.
My base is basically Lynch and MJD with Matthews as the flex. I grabbed Cobb as the first receiver, then Wallace in fifth. The trouble is my tightend position isnt so glamorous. That is where I will be waiting on some injuries to happen so that I can grab a tightend. I feel that I may be fine at the two most important positions but will have to overcome my tightend lack of depth the first few weeks before Miller returns. I'm holding out that Clark becomes the starter for the ravens or the steelers have a tightend in mind they're gonna start. I didnt expect all the tightends I preferred to be drafted before I got to pick in 8th.