• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So nobody has tried out the Windows 10 beta release

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been waiting for the final consumer release candidate to come out. I've been busy with projects at work and haven't had the time to play with the early beta.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should give it a go. Maybe soon, after work lets up.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have anything to report on this? I'm starting to enter the market for a new desktop computer and I never thought I'd say this, but I'm seriously considering switching to an Apple iMac and will be comparing it against Windows 10.

What can you tell me?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are that the consumer release is close to being out. Seems about right for them as the latest technical release is still full of issues and yet they are looking like they want to hold to their timetable no matter what.

I will not be moving any of our critical machines over to it for at least a month after the full release, but then that's standard practice for anything MS. I will for sure move right over to it on my home PC and any other machines that aren't critical.

I have not spent much time on it as I typically wait until the CR version before I really work with it in my lab and start evaluating the potential issues with our software and network infrastructure. What I have seen shows some promise. Feels a lot more like 7 in terms of the desktop. They handled their live tiles better than that awkward touchscreen orientated mess they gave us in 8.

Given that it will be a totally free upgrade there is little risk getting a new PC now. If you are worried about stability I'm not sure that would worry me too much. The purpose of this build is to push everyone onto one OS that is easier for them to deal with security issues and stability problems vs having to keep support centers for 2-3 other OS's alive. They are quite literally putting every egg in this basket. There is zero chance they don't throw everything they have at fixing early issues and making it a worthwhile OS IMO.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have anything to report on this? I'm starting to enter the market for a new desktop computer and I never thought I'd say this, but I'm seriously considering switching to an Apple iMac and will be comparing it against Windows 10.

What can you tell me?

I've been running an evaluation copy of Windows 10, build 10074 for about 3 months. I find it works well with my essential programs and hasn't crashed on me.........yet. I have been automatically updated 3 times (lengthy, full system updates with a new build #) since my friend loaded the OS on my laptop and only the last one created an issue. The flash video player doesn't work unless I am using the Chrome browser. No biggie for me since I don't watch a lot of video on this unit.

I wasn't a fan of Windows 8, but that was probably because I knew my way around XP pretty well and would have been happy to keep it.

Rumor had it that the evaluation copies will expire on 5-15, but the I heard that build #10041 would not expire til sometime in the fall and since then I have had the previously mentioned update to #10074 so who knows?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire update engine has been completely redesigned and there have been a few bugs to work out with it. Yes, a few updates have taken a considerable amount of time, but then that's how these early technical releases work.

Yes, there are features not working, or not working correctly. Including some players and other accessory app stuff. A lot of it is broken. Which is why I question their rush to get the CR out supposedly before the end of this month.

Your version should last well past the launch of the final product, but there is little reason to not jump right on that public release version given that it will be free for anyone with valid licenses for 8 and possibly 7 as well.

How do you like the overall use of 10 compared to XP or 7? Is it easier for you to work with than 8? So far I like it better than 8, but then I think Hammer and others would prefer to hear a non geek perspective on it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Windows 10, The OS Becomes A Service Instead Of A Series Of Major Releases | TechCrunch

I haven't found any confirmation yet, but those who have been looking closely at the different update model have been discussing what this article hints at. Windows 10 may be 'free' for the first year, but it is feeling a lot like the new price model is going to be a subscription service. You are going to have to pay every year to keep your OS, but you will never have to worry about new features. $40/yr? No one knows yet, or at least I haven't seen any real estimates. It just really looks like it's headed that way.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have added that MS answered to the question about that service for those getting the free upgrade and they did say they would be grandfathered in to not pay yearly. So if you want the never ending OS get on that shit. The free forever license is per machine, meaning you won't have to pay as long as that computer is still running it. It won't transfer to another machine. If you have an outdated PC get one before the new machines come with 10 and get your free upgrade to 10.