• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So many wr in first round??

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think secondary vs WR is very debatable and I could see the argument going either way. If Seattle's WRs had to face Seattle's CBs, Seattle wouldn't score any points on Seattle.

I don't feel Seahawks had a good pass blocking OL. Give a good QB enough time and any secondary will break down.

I'm old football, I always feel it's start with winning the war in the trenches.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Percy Harvin was a first rounder. He also cost a first rounder in Free Agency after coming off injury.

Lets look at the Niners. Vernon Davis was a high first rounder. Anquan Boldin was a first rounder at one point. Crabtree? High first rounder. So thats 3 on that team.

Lets look at the Cardinals. Larry Fitz was a high first rounder. Michael Floyd was a first rounder. So thats 2.

Wide Receivers are people, too. Ill flip this around on you: Seattle won the Super Bowl with a sub par offensive line. Why would someone waste a top 10 pick on an offensive lineman?

There is no magic formula to winning a Super Bowl outside of having an above average QB and an above average defense.

2nd rounder there for boldin

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm old football, I always feel it's start with winning the war in the trenches.
Its mostly does. Thats why the secondary is called the secondary and not the primary. Wide Receivers are secondary offensive players, too, but you do need them at some point. The years New England come up short of the Super Bowl generally coincide with the same years that they have no name Wide Receivers like Edelman and Caldwell.

Seattle also had the highest DVOA last year and didnt win the Super Bowl. Lets not pretend that they are going to be automatic next year if Harvin goes down for some reason.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a group of guys who can get open and catch the ball and I'm happy.
Give me Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas on rookie contracts and I'm good.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its mostly does. Thats why the secondary is called the secondary and not the primary. Wide Receivers are secondary offensive players, too, but you do need them at some point. The years New England come up short of the Super Bowl generally coincide with the same years that they have no name Wide Receivers like Edelman and Caldwell.

Seattle also had the highest DVOA last year and didnt win the Super Bowl. Lets not pretend that they are going to be automatic next year if Harvin goes down for some reason.

I would never say or imply that the Seahawks are automatic next year, but as far as Harvin goes, the Seahawks had to play without him for most of the season and did OK. Not to say that it won't of been better if he could of played. Hey, the more quality players the better, I just don't feel it starts with a WR.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well whoever takes Watkins in the 1st, will be happy they took a WR in the 1st round.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well whoever takes Watkins in the 1st, will be happy they took a WR in the 1st round.

As happy as jags wih blackmon, raiders heyward bey, even sf w crabtree

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think the Seahawks are going to lose one of these guys? Could happen I guess, but I think the Seahawks have a good chance to keep them all.

I meant the "Not for long unfortunately" towards them being all on rookie contracts. I think that we can afford to retain all of them, but it will tie up a ton of money. Thomas will be the easiest, his cap hit is currently around $4m and I expect him to get a contract in the Eric Weddle to Troy Polamalu range, so an increase of around $4mish.

Wilson will be looking at around $20m a year (just a rough estimate) and Sherman could get between $10 and $15m. It will be really difficult, which is why I'm hoping the Seahawks pass on luxuries like Golden Tate.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As happy as jags wih blackmon, raiders heyward bey, even sf w crabtree

None of those guys coming out were considered huge game changers though. Blackmon had some major red flags. Heyward Bey by pretty much everybody but the Raiders was a huge surprise to be taken so high. Crabtree was considered good but not earth shattering coming out. Now that's not to say that a guy that is considered on that level pans out but when you do have one of those say top 5-10 WR's on your team it definitely is a nice weapon to have. Not the best weapon you can have on the field but one if you can get it you will want it.

The only guy worthy of that title this year in the draft is Watkins but I do think he is one that will blossom into a major playmaker in the NFL. He has just about everything you are looking for in your top receiver and should cause defenses to have to really game plan around him.

Now I will say a receiver is very dependent on others around them to succeed (unless your name is Calvin Johnson). Obviously the OL has to block well enough to give the quarterback time to be able to pass it to them. They also depend on a half way competent quarterback to get them the football (this is where Fitzgerald other than when he had Warner really got hosed in his career). So yes WR is not exactly your first choice of what you want to use a top-10 pick for but there are some teams in that top 10 that a game changing receiver can really enhance their team. I look at St. Louis, Buffalo, and Detroit in that top 10 and just think of how much more dangerous their offenses become with a guy like Watkins. I mean can you imagine in Detroit having to defend Reggie Bush, Calvin Johnson, and Watkins all on the field together? That right there with an average OL makes them one of the most dangerous teams in the NFL offensively. Buffalo with a young quarterback the best thing you can give them is a guy that can take a 5 yard pass and turn it into a touchdown. St. Louis with the defenses they have to play nothing quite like having Austin from last year and then Watkins this year for teams to have to worry about. That is a lot of speed to have to try and cover every single play.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those guys coming out were considered huge game changers though. Blackmon had some major red flags. Heyward Bey by pretty much everybody but the Raiders was a huge surprise to be taken so high. Crabtree was considered good but not earth shattering coming out. Now that's not to say that a guy that is considered on that level pans out but when you do have one of those say top 5-10 WR's on your team it definitely is a nice weapon to have. Not the best weapon you can have on the field but one if you can get it you will want it.

The only guy worthy of that title this year in the draft is Watkins but I do think he is one that will blossom into a major playmaker in the NFL. He has just about everything you are looking for in your top receiver and should cause defenses to have to really game plan around him.

Now I will say a receiver is very dependent on others around them to succeed (unless your name is Calvin Johnson). Obviously the OL has to block well enough to give the quarterback time to be able to pass it to them. They also depend on a half way competent quarterback to get them the football (this is where Fitzgerald other than when he had Warner really got hosed in his career). So yes WR is not exactly your first choice of what you want to use a top-10 pick for but there are some teams in that top 10 that a game changing receiver can really enhance their team. I look at St. Louis, Buffalo, and Detroit in that top 10 and just think of how much more dangerous their offenses become with a guy like Watkins. I mean can you imagine in Detroit having to defend Reggie Bush, Calvin Johnson, and Watkins all on the field together? That right there with an average OL makes them one of the most dangerous teams in the NFL offensively. Buffalo with a young quarterback the best thing you can give them is a guy that can take a 5 yard pass and turn it into a touchdown. St. Louis with the defenses they have to play nothing quite like having Austin from last year and then Watkins this year for teams to have to worry about. That is a lot of speed to have to try and cover every single play.

Is Detroit really gonna draft another top 10 WR!!!! I should of thought of them earlier. they make my argument for me!!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Detroit really gonna draft another top 10 WR!!!! I should of thought of them earlier. they make my argument for me!!!

I don't think they make your argument for you considering they have what is considered one of the top 10 players in all of the NFL with Calvin Johnson. No player in the NFL is feared more than him. You give them say another big time receiver opposite of him and they become one of the most feared offenses in the NFL.

Also you have to remember one player doesn't make a team. Look at your team. Sherman is good but he isn't the only reason why the team won this year. Look at Revis and for years he was considered the best corner in the NFL yet he has never gone to a Super Bowl. This is why the NFL is the ultimate team sport in you can't just have one all-star and be great. Manning and Brady have been considered the top quarterbacks in the NFL for quite some time and only have 1 Super Bowl between them in the last 10 years and that is at the most valuable position on the field. No player can do it alone.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else are they going to draft? Detroit is stacked in all areas except secondary offensive and defensive players. Unless you think they can replace Stafford, WR or CB is the way to go

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they make your argument for you considering they have what is considered one of the top 10 players in all of the NFL with Calvin Johnson. No player in the NFL is feared more than him. You give them say another big time receiver opposite of him and they become one of the most feared offenses in the NFL.

Also you have to remember one player doesn't make a team. Look at your team. Sherman is good but he isn't the only reason why the team won this year. Look at Revis and for years he was considered the best corner in the NFL yet he has never gone to a Super Bowl. This is why the NFL is the ultimate team sport in you can't just have one all-star and be great. Manning and Brady have been considered the top quarterbacks in the NFL for quite some time and only have 1 Super Bowl between them in the last 10 years and that is at the most valuable position on the field. No player can do it alone.

Detroit Lions making my point for me lol
2003 Charles Rogers no. 2 overall
2004 Roy Williams no. 7 overall
2005 Mike Williams no. 10 overall
2007 Calvin Johnson no.2 overall
2008 Detroit went 0-16

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions making my point for me lol
2003 Charles Rogers no. 2 overall
2004 Roy Williams no. 7 overall
2005 Mike Williams no. 10 overall
2007 Calvin Johnson no.2 overall
2008 Detroit went 0-16
Rams first rounders
2005 Alex Barron no 19 OT
2006 Tye Hill no 15 CB
2007 Adam Carriker no 13 DT
2008 Chris Long no 2 DE
2009 Jason Smith no 2 OT Rams 1-15

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams first rounders
2005 Alex Barron no 19 OT
2006 Tye Hill no 15 CB
2007 Adam Carriker no 13 DT
2008 Chris Long no 2 DE
2009 Jason Smith no 2 OT Rams 1-15

haha, there are many paths to ineptitude. I just happen to think that taking a WR with a top 10 pick is one of them. :suds: