• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So (letter grades)........How are we doing so far???

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turns out that Britt has not been offered a contract that he's willing to sign right now and De LaPuernte and the team are still in negotiations.so my original grade stands for the time being.....C-

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C- Only got backups and no starters so not thrilled with the signings plus the main need we needed was FS and we properly cant address that need in the 2nd round of the draft.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hatcher and Levuno are starters. Sharpton might challenge for a starting spot. IF we get Britt and Del Lapunte that is possible 5 starters.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hatcher and Levuno are starters. Sharpton might challenge for a starting spot. IF we get Britt and Del Lapunte that is possible 5 starters.

Roberts has to be considered a starter as well. Just saying,

We didnt get any big name guys. BUt this might actually be a good thing.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts has to be considered a starter as well. Just saying,

We didnt get any big name guys. BUt this might actually be a good thing.

What is a good thing is we didn't overpay for any big names with contracts we have to eat in a few years. The only big name that I wish we would have signed was Byrd. He is young and he is proven. There is no reason to expect that he won't produce through his entire contract. But even he was overpaid in my estimation. I'm very happy with how we handled this FA period. We were prudent and we picked up guys who are still hungry and have something to prove.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is a good thing is we didn't overpay for any big names with contracts we have to eat in a few years. The only big name that I wish we would have signed was Byrd. He is young and he is proven. There is no reason to expect that he won't produce through his entire contract. But even he was overpaid in my estimation. I'm very happy with how we handled this FA period. We were prudent and we picked up guys who are still hungry and have something to prove.

1. As a team coming off of 3-13, we would likely have had to pay even more to retain Byrd than what he got.

2. Signing Byrd would basically signal that we had no hope for Thomas and Rambo.

So those being the semi facts, I have no problem with us not signing Byrd.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Add Jordan to that list, he could challenge at the other ILB and at the very least would play significant downs there.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Jordan to that list, he could challenge at the other ILB and at the very least would play significant downs there.

So we got Merriweather, Lauvao, Roberts, Jordan and Hatcher as starters signed

So five out of the what 7-8 FAs we signed are actually starters. Two of those five got semi hefty contracts. I dont see where the big uproar is coming from. :noidea:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. As a team coming off of 3-13, we would likely have had to pay even more to retain Byrd than what he got.

2. Signing Byrd would basically signal that we had no hope for Thomas and Rambo.

So those being the semi facts, I have no problem with us not signing Byrd.

Not so sure about the signal for Thomas. Merriweather is a short term answer. Thomas can hopefully replace him next year as the SS. It gives him a year to complete his recovery and learn. Based on what we saw from Rambo last year, he may never be more than a backup. If he doesn't improve on his ST play, he may not even be that. He needs to make significant strides this year or it may be his last year here.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure about the signal for Thomas. Merriweather is a short term answer. Thomas can hopefully replace him next year as the SS. It gives him a year to complete his recovery and learn. Based on what we saw from Rambo last year, he may never be more than a backup. If he doesn't improve on his ST play, he may not even be that. He needs to make significant strides this year or it may be his last year here.

Yea, but had we sunk those kinds of funds into Byrd, there is no way either of them see any playing time. Merriweather is a stop gap that allows us to se what if anything we have in Thomas without forcing him into a starting role coming off injury.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we got Merriweather, Lauvao, Roberts, Jordan and Hatcher as starters signed

So five out of the what 7-8 FAs we signed are actually starters. Two of those five got semi hefty contracts. I dont see where the big uproar is coming from. :noidea:

You can also include Riley, Baker and Hall as they were also FAs who are starters that were signed to very team friendly contracts.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, but had we sunk those kinds of funds into Byrd, there is no way either of them see any playing time. Merriweather is a stop gap that allows us to se what if anything we have in Thomas without forcing him into a starting role coming off injury.

I agree. We should see improvement this year. Next year is the year we get a bit more aggressive in FA in filling some holes with known playmakers.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C- Only got backups and no starters so not thrilled with the signings plus the main need we needed was FS and we properly cant address that need in the 2nd round of the draft.

??. Forget about the others. Are you actually stating that Hatcher is not a starter? Ridiculous. Perhaps not a sexy, big name starter but a starter none-the-less. Sounds like - in spite of constant Snyder bashing - many fans here desperately want this team to go back to the old Snyder, Cerrato approach & will only be happy with big name signings. Will some of you ever learn?

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize if this was posted in another thread.

The Redskins Blog | CBS: Redskins FA Haul Receives ?A? Grade
“Once upon a time, the Redskins were huge players in free agency. Now they are a lot smarter. They signed seven free agents and four of them should be starters: Defensive tackleJason Hatcher, receiver Andre Roberts, corner Tracy Porter and guard Shawn Lauvao. They also re-signed linebacker Perry Riley and corner DeAngelo Hall, two starters. I like what Washington did without a huge splash. Grade: A-”

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I give them a B for the players they have signed. Their strategy is an A but I do not like the age of some of the targets and some we have signed. The contracts have been well done and favorable for us and we now have options at ILB.

For all those complaining we haven't addressed every need with a sure-fire starter...that's how you overpay. Some are complaining about not signing Mike Mitchell but don't know what our offer was and his reason for going elsewhere or why we aren't targeting Chris Clemons. Maybe we don't like his age for his current price tag. We will go into the draft with a possible need here...maybe we will look at him after the draft...maybe they have faith in the two from last year...maybe they just didn't think much of those available this offseason.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I give them a B for the players they have signed. Their strategy is an A but I do not like the age of some of the targets and some we have signed. The contracts have been well done and favorable for us and we now have options at ILB.

For all those complaining we haven't addressed every need with a sure-fire starter...that's how you overpay. Some are complaining about not signing Mike Mitchell but don't know what our offer was and his reason for going elsewhere or why we aren't targeting Chris Clemons. Maybe we don't like his age for his current price tag. We will go into the draft with a possible need here...maybe we will look at him after the draft...maybe they have faith in the two from last year...maybe they just didn't think much of those available this offseason.

Excellent post. The Redskins are not in a position to address everything. If things go well then perhaps over the next few offseasons they will be in a position to go after that big name that puts them over the top as a major contender. HTTR

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize if this was posted in another thread.

The Redskins Blog | CBS: Redskins FA Haul Receives ?A? Grade
“Once upon a time, the Redskins were huge players in free agency. Now they are a lot smarter. They signed seven free agents and four of them should be starters: Defensive tackleJason Hatcher, receiver Andre Roberts, corner Tracy Porter and guard Shawn Lauvao. They also re-signed linebacker Perry Riley and corner DeAngelo Hall, two starters. I like what Washington did without a huge splash. Grade: A-”

:suds:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent post. The Redskins are not in a position to address everything. If things go well then perhaps over the next few offseasons they will be in a position to go after that big name that puts them over the top as a major contender. HTTR

I agree. I realize that we need upgrades at multiple positions, but some of these guys like Clemons and maybe Mitchell are not really upgrades. They would just be swapping out questionable talent for more questionable talent at a higher price tag. Clemons has 4 INTs in 6 years. That's what people are coveting? Mitchell has had one good year out of 4. Hell, merriweather has had one good year, he went to the PB.

I think we played it smart. We got value guys that will add depth and definitely improve our ST. If you remember, our ST were atrocious last year and cost us more than one game. We also signed/retained some very good starters. I don't get it, either.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the approach i would give an A- too . we spent frugally however some of the guys were older then i would have liked . we retained hall , rak and riley , as well as moss (that drags down the grade some ) and merriweather on the cheap

talent we signed 3 lbs , 2 of which can start . we lose a huge leadership role in LBF however we got younger

roberts does something most of our wrs dont do often . he catches the damn ball .

porter is a hall clone , hatcher should give us some sacks 4-5 . and takes pressure off of cofield on the d/line, we also got the mammoth geathers

i would say we got a solid C there

in lavou we got a solid 2 yr starter and decent pass blocker up the middle so he adds to the C grade

now lets address how many holes we can fill . short answer is we cant fill them all even with the draft and its silly to think you can

right now i think we have doubled our win total to 6 pending the draft

we have a long ways to go :suds:

Brock2005

Intellectual Bully
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Double our wins to 6?

That makes zero sense to me. We will have a healthy RG3 an improved defense and an offense no one has seen. I think we challenge for this weak division again. A healthy RG3 changes EVERYTHING.