• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So (letter grades)........How are we doing so far???

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you grade out the free agency moves thus far by Mr. Allen and company?? To me there has been an inclination to not overspend for players this off season. This is a considerable change in their historical dealings, a history that has led to maybe a too cautious approach lending to missing out on players of a particular need, Safety Mitchell as an example. On the other hand following a 3-13 season there is a tendency to under value your roster in favor of getting as many bodies in to compete for spots because of that bad season. Here's what I don't like thus far............They have not done much to fill three of their most pressing needs, Safety, ROT and WR, although the possible signing of K. Britt could add needed punch to their pass catching corps and ability to trade for more picks. There was some thought towards acquiring D. Penn and converting him to RT, if that thought persists then I'd go for Charles "Peanuts" Brown with that same thought in mind. Grade C-

Last edited by a moderator:

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you grade out the free agency moves thus far by Mr. Allen and company?? To me there has been an inclination to not overspend for players this off season. This is a considerable change in their historical dealings, a history that has led to maybe a too cautious approach lending to missing out on players of a particular need, Safety Mitchell as an example. On the other hand following a 3-13 season there is a tendency to under value your roster in favor of getting as many bodies in to compete for spots because of that bad season. Here's what I don't like thus far............They have not done much to fill three of their most pressing needs, Safety, ROT and WR, although the possible signing of K. Britt could add needed punch to their pass catching corps and ability to trade for more picks. Grade C-

I will agree with several points in that the approach has been stringent but our major needs were not addressed in FA. Most notably, we absolutely need a starting RT, Center, WR & ILB. Having no first round pick and only a 2nd, we have to hit on that player in the 2nd to be a starter and likely a WR (if none in FA) or OT. Based on the players signed so far and the glaring need at safety and the fact that the organization think Meriweather is capable, I would have to grade FA thus far a D+.

Is the team better today than it was a few weeks ago, slightly.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM actually going to give them a B-. While I know many are not happy with the safety position, truth is, we are actually slightly better than we ere last year in a couple of areas. I like the O-line moves thus far. Roberts is a decent WR, and likely better than Morgan. Bringing back Riley and signing Jordan gives us two capable ILBs to start, although Jordan is not a 3 down ILB. Improving the pass rush was key in my opinion. And I think Hatcher does that for us to a degree. And finally, we have not gone nuts giving out huge contracts with the potential to haunt us for years to come.

Polumbus was not as bad as some think, and with all the areas we needed to fix, I think they have done pretty good actually aside from actually upgrading the safety position.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree with several points in that the approach has been stringent but our major needs were not addressed in FA. Most notably, we absolutely need a starting RT, Center, WR & ILB. Having no first round pick and only a 2nd, we have to hit on that player in the 2nd to be a starter and likely a WR (if none in FA) or OT. Based on the players signed so far and the glaring need at safety and the fact that the organization think Meriweather is capable, I would have to grade FA thus far a D+.

Is the team better today than it was a few weeks ago, slightly.

Kory Lichtensteiger will most likely be moved to center, his more natural position, They currently have 5 ILB on the roster, so it's possible that they're counting on one of them to fill that need. Let's see what happens with K. Britt, so as you see we're dealing with possibilities.....not much difference between D+ and C- though.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree (unusual, right?). I give this FA period a strong B. We are not a player or two away from the playoffs this year. We resisted the urge to try and buy ourselves a few wins, that never works out. Players like Mitchell and Penn were slight upgrades, at best. Mitchell has had one good year (out of 4) on a defense that was very strong in the front 7. There is a real possibility that his good year was more a result of his team than his play. Maybe not, but that risk was there. Penn got cut from Tampa. Should say something right there. He is mediocre at best and wanted LT money.

FA is not where teams build their roster for long term success. It is where they augment, and occasionally buy talent if they are on a SB run. We augmented with key depth. Our STs will be worlds better than last year. I also believe our defense will be much better against the pass just do to the pressure we should now be able to provide on the QB. This will result in less time and more turnovers. We added value players in FA that will make our team better in all facets. We still have holes to fill, most notably at S and OL. We could also use a true #2 WR. This is where I expect we will draft. We probably won't fill all of our remaining holes this year, but we can get one or two quality starters in this draft at these positions. Finally, we have structured almost all of these new FA contracts in a way that they are not long term anchors that will cost us an arm and a leg in a few years when Trent and RG3 are up for new contracts.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree (unusual, right?). I give this FA period a strong B. We are not a player or two away from the playoffs this year. We resisted the urge to try and buy ourselves a few wins, that never works out. Players like Mitchell and Penn were slight upgrades, at best. Mitchell has had one good year (out of 4) on a defense that was very strong in the front 7. There is a real possibility that his good year was more a result of his team than his play. Maybe not, but that risk was there. Penn got cut from Tampa. Should say something right there. He is mediocre at best and wanted LT money.

FA is not where teams build their roster for long term success. It is where they augment, and occasionally buy talent if they are on a SB run. We augmented with key depth. Our STs will be worlds better than last year. I also believe our defense will be much better against the pass just do to the pressure we should now be able to provide on the QB. This will result in less time and more turnovers. We added value players in FA that will make our team better in all facets. We still have holes to fill, most notably at S and OL. We could also use a true #2 WR. This is where I expect we will draft. We probably won't fill all of our remaining holes this year, but we can get one or two quality starters in this draft at these positions. Finally, we have structured almost all of these new FA contracts in a way that they are not long term anchors that will cost us an arm and a leg in a few years when Trent and RG3 are up for new contracts.

A strong B huh? I don't think that there's anyone here who argues against what's being done fiscally, however didn't you say ( and I agree) that they upgraded their pass rush? Well that is exactly your argument for Mitchell having the year that he did right? Beside there remains a giant hole at the position and I'm not happy with the idea floating around that it will be filled with pick #34. Moving Montgomery out and K.L. in was a good first move on the OL, outside of that I'm more inclined to see every other move as a slight uptick, lateral re-seeding and nothing more. Most here already know what my position is with regards to our WRers. The team is stocked with #2's and is in dire need of a true threat there. Everyone??? agreed that there were three positions that HAD to be addressed in FA, R-OT, Safety, and WR at least for this upcoming season and to augment the future success of our young QB, none have been addressed yet, there is still time but at this point I cannot see a strong B.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A strong B huh? I don't think that there's anyone here who argues against what's being done fiscally, however didn't you say ( and I agree) that they upgraded their pass rush? Well that is exactly your argument for Mitchell having the year that he did right? Beside there remains a giant hole at the position and I'm not happy with the idea floating around that it will be filled with pick #34. Moving Montgomery out and K.L. in was a good first move on the OL, outside of that I'm more inclined to see every other move as a slight uptick, lateral re-seeding and nothing more. Most here already know what my position is with regards to our WRers. The team is stocked with #2's and is in dire need of a true threat there. Everyone??? agreed that there were three positions that HAD to be addressed in FA, R-OT, Safety, and WR at least for this upcoming season and to augment the future success of our young QB, none have been addressed yet, there is still time but at this point I cannot see a strong B.

I look at this as a multiyear rebuild and I grade as such. No way can we address all of our issues this year. I agree that S is a weak spot and we've done nothing (yet) to address it. I'm just not sold that Mitchell would have been a guaranteed upgrade. If we were going to make a splash, I would have spent it on Byrd. Alas, that did not happen for what ever reason. But there is a real possibility that with an improved pass rush, our current crop of safeties perform better. We still will need to address this position.

I also don't think that R OT had to be address in FA. We could very well get a stud ROT at 34. I also don't think that Polumbus is as bad as most everyone else. Don't get me wrong, he's not great, but it was the interior of our OL that broke down in pass protection more often than the edges. Many of RG3's sacks were result of him feeling pressure up the middle and being flushed into the edge (many were also due to RG3 not dumping off or hanging onto the ball too long). This is a position that we will need to upgrade, but Polumbus/Compton can hopefully provide us adequate production for one more year if we don't land a stud in the draft.

You seem to discount Roberts as an upgrade in the WR corps. In the slot, I think he can be dangerous and open up things for the wide outs. I do agree that we need another quality wide out, but this draft has a slew of potential and we should be able to land a quality player.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to discount Roberts as an upgrade in the WR corps. In the slot, I think he can be dangerous and open up things for the wide outs. I do agree that we need another quality wide out, but this draft has a slew of potential and we should be able to land a quality player.

I actually like Roberts in the slot, and it puzzles me as to why ( barring trade) Moss was signed. Roberts was a definite upgrade, this to me points to a Kenny Britt signing. If his head is right, there are no off-field issues pending his addition would potentially make this WR corps among the most dangerous in the league, allow for a possible trade with Carolina for more picks, and free up pick #34 to address another need. Missing out on this signing is probably bigger than any other during this off-season.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Roberts in the slot, and it puzzles me as to why ( barring trade) Moss was signed. Roberts was a definite upgrade, this to me points to a Kenny Britt signing. If his head is right, there are no off-field issues pending his addition would potentially make this WR corps among the most dangerous in the league, allow for a possible trade with Carolina for more picks, and free up pick #34 to address another need. Missing out on this signing is probably bigger than any other during this off-season.

If we could sign Britt, I like the idea of shopping Moss and/or Robinson. Not sure we would get a whole lot for either, but even a late round pick would suffice.

I think we signed moss out of respect. Let him go out on his terms. With the signing of Roberts, Moss will probably not make this team.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Britt and De LaPuernte are signed it becomes a Bplus. Those two along with Hatcher and Roberts gives us four quality starters. Plus you have decent depth and special teams help at CB and ILB for cheap money. I still think Lenovo was their worst FA signing b/c of the talent and the money. That signing to me give absolutely no confidence in Ribeye, Gettis, and Hurt. Plus not releasing Chester right away speaks volumes about those young guards.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Britt and De LaPuernte are signed it becomes a Bplus. Those two along with Hatcher and Roberts gives us four quality starters. Plus you have decent depth and special teams help at CB and ILB for cheap money. I still think Lenovo was their worst FA signing b/c of the talent and the money. That signing to me give absolutely no confidence in Ribeye, Gettis, and Hurt. Plus not releasing Chester right away speaks volumes about those young guards.

WHaaaa? I next day delivered a one way bus ticket to them for Chester!! Maybe it was not enough, time to up-grade that to airfare...Oh well!!! Signing these two would IMO give them a grade of B-

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you release Chester when he is our most talented guard? lol.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you release Chester when he is our most talented guard? lol.

With tears flowing freely down both of my cheeks, I must concede...........Sadly you're right!!!

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If, and I say IF we sign De LaPuernte to play Center, draft a RT at #34, we could possibly have 4/5 of a new starting OL if Gettis or Ribeye take over at LG, Lenovo at RG. Back ups could be Gettis or Ribeye, Hurt, Litcht, Compton & Polumbus with Chester cut.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B-, starters and depth brought in at ILB, slot WR, DE, and likely G. Would be close to an A if we brought in a multi year true starter at S and RT. It's not over yet either, if we sign the La Puenta and/or Britt this will give us even more flexibility to take BPA in the draft or a day one starting RT, S, or possible CB or DE.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: Everyone knows STs was a disaster last year. IMO mostly because we didn't have the financial resources to have three LBs who were skilled ST players. Orakpo and Riley are FAs that we signed again. I believe keeping Baker was important. Resiging Hall another good move. I believe they have upgraded CB a bit.

Everything I hear is altough Roberts might play some slot he will also play outside.

FA fills spots and adds depth. If you are Denver and two players from the SB then sign two short term stars. I believe Allen is playing this right. I think they are hoping they filled enough holes that they can draft BPA and not for need. Drafting for need often leads to disappointment.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM actually going to give them a B-. While I know many are not happy with the safety position, truth is, we are actually slightly better than we ere last year in a couple of areas. I like the O-line moves thus far. Roberts is a decent WR, and likely better than Morgan. Bringing back Riley and signing Jordan gives us two capable ILBs to start, although Jordan is not a 3 down ILB. Improving the pass rush was key in my opinion. And I think Hatcher does that for us to a degree. And finally, we have not gone nuts giving out huge contracts with the potential to haunt us for years to come.

Polumbus was not as bad as some think, and with all the areas we needed to fix, I think they have done pretty good actually aside from actually upgrading the safety position.

Ditto

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give'them a f for starters b for backups

Brock2005

Intellectual Bully
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something folks are not considering is what was available in free agency and what we got for the money based on what was available. Based on that, I give us a B- if we get Britt I'd make that B+

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give'them a f for starters b for backups

And (just like with the draft) this is why grades just after free agency are pretty much worthless. You have to wait at least 2-3 years before making this type of judgement. How do you know who will or won't be a starter and what contributions they will make? So you believe that Hatcher is a waste and that Roberts can't be a starter & contribute? The same could possibly said of others.

I am not stating that any of these guys will start, contribute or do anything else. I am just saying that you have to see what they actually do on the field during the next few seasons. Whether we admit or not - the guys in the FO have much more access to these players than us and much more experience in personnel matters. Let's just wait and see what happens. For starters - I am glad that they resisted the high profile guys for the most part. Those type of pickups are more suited for contenders who are truly only a player or two away from being champs (Broncos, Packers, Pats, etc).