• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So, is the B12 safe for another year or two?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif
Losing a coach to one > losing a game....or two to "them"
draclaugh.gif

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing going for the Big 12, is that no one wants any of the Big 12 schools, outside of Texas, but UT is such a huge headache, no one is willing to give them what they want, either. So the Big 12 will survive.

ACC is trying to survive as a bb conf for the most part, and they will survive, probably, but I'm not sure they will long term? But right now at 14 football schools, they are set for now. And it really helps that Clemson is doing well in football.

The SEC maybe shouldn't have expanded to 14, but they did, and they are not going to downsize. LEGIT conferences do not kick members out. They have to buy out. SEC may regret bringing in Mizzou, but they aren't going to kick them out. Mizzou may not realize they are the outsider no one wants, but they are happy being in the SEC.

The B1G does not regret expanding, and the fact you think they do, shows that you do not understand what is really going on. The B1G is in the best position of all the conferences, but no one will admit as much.

The PAC would be the best fit for OU/UT, if they moved anywhere, but unless UT/OU is getting a larger share of the revenue in the Big 12, the PAC teams are far more legit than all of the nobodies that make up the rest of the Big 12, and the B1G schools are even more legit. So it will depend on how much control UT wants as to where they move or remain and of course their bitch OU will do whatever UT does.

The Big12 is going to poach some schools from the PAC in a few years my man.

Hawk2916

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that the more legit move would be for Texas and Oklahoma to come join the SEC instead of the Pac-12. Texas Tech and OKST are welcome too.

But really as an SEC fan I actually want to make it stronger in the East and West so I want Clemson, FSU and Miami. I guess GT would have to come over too. Now I could see jettisoning Mizzou but probably not. So then maybe we get rid of Candy....I meant Vandy, Kentucky since Louisville is already ACC but the SEC east eastd be definitely stronger with the addition of Clemson and I guess GT and two schools in Florida

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk and our second place team just punched UGA in the mouth. UGA should have replaced our conference champ in the playoff, right???

actually as you should know..your 2nd place team lost to Syracuse and then lost its coach to a non P5 school............

BeatPitt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually as you should know..your 2nd place team lost to Syracuse and then lost its coach to a non P5 school............

Let's do the math....be fired after next season and get $3mil or leave and get a guaranteed $20mil at a new school.
Holgorsen's record of 15-11 over the last three seasons at WVU matches Applewhite's 15-11 that got him fired from Houston. Dig deeper than what ESPN vomits out...

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's do the math....be fired after next season and get $3mil or leave and get a guaranteed $20mil at a new school.
Holgorsen's record of 15-11 over the last three seasons at WVU matches Applewhite's 15-11 that got him fired from Houston. Dig deeper than what ESPN vomits out...

i think its a shitty hire by houston which i don't understand one bit.

i was mostly kidding in my post except i think WVU should have gone to the Sugar bowl due to beating Tejas and having the same number of losses after the CCG.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think its a shitty hire by houston which i don't understand one bit.

i was mostly kidding in my post except i think WVU should have gone to the Sugar bowl due to beating Tejas and having the same number of losses after the CCG.
Iowa State actually finished tied for 3rd with West Virginia and held that tie-breaker due to the ISU 30-14 victory over the Mountaineers. :)

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically your hot take is no one wants any big 12 school outside of UT including blue blood OU who also has a great all around athletic's or bball blueblood KU. OUs is a bitch and the Big 10 is greatest in the land....

You seem like a dipshit, dumbass, or troll most likely all 3. I don't wast my time debating with the former. Enjoy the rust belt conference! What great additions Rutgers and Maryland have been.

"dipshit, dumbass, or troll"??? lol you are too funny. Ok, for the time being, let's exclude OU and UT from the conversation. What does Baylor or Texas Tech or Kansas St or Oklahoma St or TCU or Kansas or Kansas St offer that would make them attractive to another conference?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For your families sake I hope you aren’t such a fn moron in real life.

Dude, very disappointing that you are trying to make this personal. Is your argument for your school SO WEAK that you have to go that route? That's sad. And pathetic.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, very disappointing that you are trying to make this personal. Is your argument for your school SO WEAK that you have to go that route? That's sad. And pathetic.

Not personal but if you can’t see the obvious it applies. You were shown where OU is in the top 3 in terms of worth. People like you don’t realize the footprint that OU has. It started back with Wilkinson when all the OU games were on armed forces radio all over the world. I can’t make you agree but common sense dictates that I’m right.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the Rivals posters, we have discussed this stuff on this board before.

ALL Power 5 Conferences are safe until 2021 when the backroom talks begin. Then the leaks. then the pissing and moaning from the teams that are doing the back room talks.

Unless there have been extensions of which I have not googled since last year, and with cable TV on the decline, things probably have not been renewed

AAC contract runs out in 2019-2020
B1G 2022-2023
PAC 12 2023-2024
Big 12 2024-2025
SEC 2033-2034
ACC 2035-2036

The Big 12 might make a run for a Florida AAC team. With AAC contract ending first, the Big 12 might try an expansion.

I don't think they want to dilute their payouts though and ESPN will stick to this contract and not reward the Big 12 for adding a school, even if it is in Florida, maybe the new contract negotiation they will, but I doubt it.

The Big 12 already held one dance and turned everyone down, but the Big 12 wants into the Florida market and if UCF or USF continue, maybe they have a shot. I am pretty sure ESPN is done throwing money at conferences.

What would be funny is if the AAC pulls a Big East and turns down their offer(ALA the Big East) and then accept and even shittier offer when no one else offers them. The old adage, history repeats itself.

Last edited:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they want to dilute their payouts though and ESPN will stick to this contract and not reward the Big 12 for adding a school, even if it is in Florida, maybe the new contract negotiation they will, but I doubt it.

The Big 12 already held one dance and turned everyone down, but the Big 12 wants into the Florida market and if UCF or USF continue, maybe they have a shot. I am pretty sure ESPN is done throwing money at conferences.
You must have read some of the same articles I did. But, I'm old so my memory....

Someone on here posted some articles from media sites instead of sports sites that included information such as what you are saying.

IIRC, didn't one of the media companies increase the payout a little so they wouldn't add teams? Reasoning was we will pay you each a little more so we don't have to pay a lot more overall.

I agree ESPN is done throwing money at conferences....at least as much as they have. I have absolutely no reference for it but I'm pretty sure ESPN is done throwing money at an individual school ala LHN. I said when that started that ESPN bought a pig in a poke. But Texas was more than glad to cash the check. After all, Disney is a company....

If I remember the articles correctly, the thinking was along the lines of "If we have Texas and Oklahoma in the package we don't need to pay addtionally to include Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas or Kansas State to attract the viewers in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas." SEC was similar. "As long as we have Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida, we'll get viewers from those states plus viewers from Miss, Kentucky, Tennessee, SouthCarolina, Arkansas,etc without having to pay extra for them."

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not personal but if you can’t see the obvious it applies. You were shown where OU is in the top 3 in terms of worth. People like you don’t realize the footprint that OU has. It started back with Wilkinson when all the OU games were on armed forces radio all over the world. I can’t make you agree but common sense dictates that I’m right.

Top 3 in FOOTBALL worth. Football is not the only thing that matters in the world.

Media footprint? This is a issue worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Research Grants? This is an issue worth BILLIONS of dollars a year.
Basketball mojo? This is less of a money maker than football, but it's a factor.

No Conference imagines OU helping out their college basketball fortunes.
No Conference imagines OU helping out their Research Grant Money take. When guessing who will cure cancer, OU does not come to mind. When guessing who will invent the next big thing in technology, OU does not come to mind. Does OU come to mind in anything outside of football? Granted it seems only the B1G cares about this factor.
No Conference imagines the masses of people populating the State of Oklahoma as adding greatly to their media footprint.

As for Wilkinson(a UMn grad, your welcome) getting OU games on Armed Forces Radio? I do realize the effect Bud Wilkinson had on OU football. I'm a big BW fan. But that was how long ago? OU may have been big back in the day, but they are not that big anymore. With a bad coaching hire or two, they will go the way of Nebraska. Recruits nowadays have a short attention span so it's all Bama/Clemson, everyone else is 2nd tier, including Ohio St and Georgia and Notre Dame.

And football will rule for another couple of decades, but the # of young men playing football has been declining steadily and that decline will continue. This will help other sports, like Basketball, Hockey, Soccer and Baseball and I suppose Lacrosse.

But what won't decline? The need for medical research, technological innovations, etc..

The biggest difference between The B1G Conference and the other conferences, is that the B1G has realized where the REAL money is and all of it's future decisions regarding expansion/realignment will be determined by FIRST = Research, 2nd = Media footprint, 3rd = football, 4th = men's basketball, 5th = all other sports. Maybe the size of a school's alumni base? Oh, and to some degree, a school's location/proximity to it's other schools?

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a football board not a research grant or basketball board...

While I am happy you got a grant or play good Basketball --- on this board I do not care. You can go into almost any major town thru out the world and find an OU fan base that meets up for every football game...

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a football board not a research grant or basketball board...

While I am happy you got a grant or play good Basketball --- on this board I do not care. You can go into almost any major town thru out the world and find an OU fan base that meets up for every football game...

Bingo, we have a bingo.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV didn't think he was a good enough coach to pay him more money, coach saw writing on the wall and bolted for more money … I think both the school and the coach got what they wanted ...