• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So Hub Arkush suggests getting rid of Marshall is the thing to do?

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My White Castle farts have more to say than Hub Arkush.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe were arguing over getting rid of our best WR in franchise history over the possibility of a possible mental breakdown possibility occurring one day in the future. With all the real problems we have on this team. Cmon guys this is just dumb. We got 99 problems and BM is about at 91 on that list. Robbie frikin Gould(problem no. 87) is a bigger problem in the locker room. And don't get me started on problem no. 2, 4, 9, 14, or 67.

How in the hell is it a good thing to keep a locker room cancer and a liability around a team that is in the midst of a total rebuild? It makes zero sense.

Keeping Marshall only makes sense on a team that is gearing up to build for a Super Bowl run. The Bears are on the complete opposite end of that spectrum.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the hell is it a good thing to keep a locker room cancer and a liability around a team that is in the midst of a total rebuild? It makes zero sense.

I think this is the main reason you should keep Marshall. The Bears have so many needs. Why create another need? And the guy is generally a top 10 WR. Can't necessarily get that in a draft. Or in FA.

So he's a diva. Most top 10 WR are. I don't see him as a divisive cancerous influence in the locker room just cause he can't shut up. He obviously seems to rub some fans and reporters the wrong way.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning cures all. Dude is a beast on the field the majority of the time. Get back some leadership and accountability, and most importantly, wins, and he'll be fine. This is a vet that wants a chance at the ultimate goal. Is he someone to build the future around? Maybe not, going into his ninth year, but if you think you have any chance of success NEXT YEAR, I'd want him around.

There is a good chance he's toast. Hell, there's a good chance they are all toast, but I'd want him on my team, personally.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keeping Marshall only makes sense on a team that is gearing up to build for a Super Bowl run. The Bears are on the complete opposite end of that spectrum.

And you are an advocate of Jamison Winston.......cancer in waiting

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason you get rid of Marshall is because you have gotten rid of Jay, both of which would mean this team is in a downward spiral and won't be relative for years.

The bears already won't be "relative" for years.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you are an advocate of Jamison Winston.......cancer in waiting

Eh… I went through a phase of thinking he could be great. Not so sure anymore.

Also, his teammates love him. Cancer? I don't think he has done much to warrant that. If it wasn't for the bogus assault charges, the crab legs and profanity use things would be brushed aside.

Immature? Yeah, I think he's definitely earned that. But a "cancer"? No. Two different things.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is the main reason you should keep Marshall. The Bears have so many needs. Why create another need? And the guy is generally a top 10 WR. Can't necessarily get that in a draft. Or in FA.

So he's a diva. Most top 10 WR are. I don't see him as a divisive cancerous influence in the locker room just cause he can't shut up. He obviously seems to rub some fans and reporters the wrong way.

The point is, that at his age, Brandon's best years are in all likelihood behind him. An aging problem, is an even worse problem. If we're being realistic, by the time this team is ready to make a run again, Brandon will be very much on the backside of his career. A clean break means speeding up the process of rebuilding.

And he's more than a diva who just needs attention. I mean, the guy is a straight up nut job, who has a history of arrests, violence and by all indications could be in the midst of some type of a breakdown. He's blown up two locker rooms and it's possible he's headed for a third. What don't people understand?

This is a textbook case of; "Well, he looks so good when he's on the field. Let's just turn a blind eye and hope nothing happens."

IMO, all you have to do is look at his history. What don't people get? Every team he's ever been on, college and into the pros. Keeping him around and crossing your fingers for the best, is no different to me than continuously adding two-and-two together and hoping it equals five.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the biggest knocks against Marshall last year was finally giving up as Cutlers great defender (a point in time where alot of the nut huggers also gave up) and standing up in a room of players and calling them out for not playing to their potential. After that he still put himself in the position to catch a ball and get hit so hard he got a fractured a rib that punctured his lung.

A locker room of thes nut hobs might have turned this team around last season.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the biggest knocks against Marshall last year was finally giving up as Cutlers great defender (a point in time where alot of the nut huggers also gave up) and standing up in a room of players and calling them out for not playing to their potential. After that he still put himself in the position to catch a ball and get hit so hard he got a fractured a rib that punctured his lung.

A locker room of thes nut hobs might have turned this team around last season.

Lol… What?

First of all, that hit to his lung was a complete fluke and came from behind him at the end of a play. Every player in football is putting themselves in a position for something like that to happen. Not saying Brandon doesn't play hard, BTW...

And exactly how does a locker room full of mental patients help a team's cause? Just curious. Clearly, there's now three organizations that will tell you differently, and in fact… the exact opposite.

Please don't tell me that our definition of leadership on this team has fallen to such a low standard, that we're willing to praise any screaming and yelling idiot causing a scene as being a "leader". What a joke. From all accounts I have heard, that was much closer to being a "meltdown" than anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason you get rid of Marshall is because you have gotten rid of Jay, both of which would mean this team is in a downward spiral and won't be relative for years.

This team will be about the same with Jay gone............jay is nothing special. No leadership,piss-poor decision making are unbearable...........

As far as Marshall,I say give him another year with us and see what happens...........I have not seen much to warrant a clubhouse cancer.
Someone brought up him cxalling players out,well HELL,as bad as this team was,someone should be calling out players. atleast he was trying to be a leader.........

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he's more than a diva who just needs attention. I mean, the guy is a straight up nut job, who has a history of arrests, violence and by all indications could be in the midst of some type of a breakdown. He's blown up two locker rooms and it's possible he's headed for a third. What don't people understand?

I realize that more is involved than just Marshall, but consider...

• In Marshall's last 3 seasons with the Broncos (2007-2009) their offense ranked 2nd, 15th & 13th. After cutting Marshall in 2010, the Denver's offense dropped to 23rd.
  • In Marshall's 2 seasons with the Dolphins (2010-2011) the Fins' offense ranked 21st & 22nd. The following year without him (2012) they dropped to 27th.
I'm not disputing his questionable behavior. But I don't think anyone's turning a blind eye. Every team has nut-jobs, divas and guys who end up on the wrong side of the law. Even well-run teams like the Patriots (Moss, Blount & Hernandez).

I'm not condoning the things he does. But other than a few outlandish statements recently, he's kept his nose relatively clean legally since joining the Bears in 2012.

And perhaps his antics lately are more of an indictment on the coaching/management philosophies. I expect more control under a new regime.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cubzzzfanincali

If Marshall is cut right away, he costs us $5.6 million in cap space, right? If that's the case...while not good....by itself, it really isn't a dealbreaker. Especially to those of us who think 2015 is not a Super Bowl contending season anyway, but more about building the team for the future.

So to me, the question is not whether we "can" or not....of course we can. If the long run thing to do for the team is to cut him, you cut him. The question as to whether that is a good move or not really goes back to Jay Cutler. What is the state of the Cutler/Marshall relationship? If they are still good, and management decides to keep Cutler, then they probably keep Marshall. If they cut Cutler, they probably toss Marshall too. On the other hand, if Cutler and Marshall are at war with one another, you have to figure only one or the other is getting moved.

I don't have any real idea about what is happening here, and nothing personal, but I REALLY don't trust the Chicago sports media on this, because those guys are - to a person - involved and vested in some players/employees/owners versus others and are, I'd say, actually a material part of the Bears problems with the way they manipulate information. As fans, what are you supposed to think? Skeptically, of everything said, only trust what actually occurs with this neurotic headcase of an organization/media outlet.

I'll continue to take a long view of this. 2015 is already a dead year to me, I just want to see this organization begin the process of putting the right people in the right places. I've already gone on and on about praying they somehow dump Cutler, but if they stick with him, I'd hope...and pray...like crazy that whatever the subsequent decision they make about Marshall is, that it is consistent with their decision about Cutler.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And perhaps his antics lately are more of an indictment on the coaching/management philosophies. I expect more control under a new regime
Yes... yep... you said it... Agreed.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Marshall is cut right away, he costs us $5.6 million in cap space, right? If that's the case...while not good....by itself, it really isn't a dealbreaker. Especially to those of us who think 2015 is not a Super Bowl contending season anyway, but more about building the team for the future.

So to me, the question is not whether we "can" or not....of course we can. If the long run thing to do for the team is to cut him, you cut him. The question as to whether that is a good move or not really goes back to Jay Cutler. What is the state of the Cutler/Marshall relationship? If they are still good, and management decides to keep Cutler, then they probably keep Marshall. If they cut Cutler, they probably toss Marshall too. On the other hand, if Cutler and Marshall are at war with one another, you have to figure only one or the other is getting moved.

I don't have any real idea about what is happening here, and nothing personal, but I REALLY don't trust the Chicago sports media on this, because those guys are - to a person - involved and vested in some players/employees/owners versus others and are, I'd say, actually a material part of the Bears problems with the way they manipulate information. As fans, what are you supposed to think? Skeptically, of everything said, only trust what actually occurs with this neurotic headcase of an organization/media outlet.

I'll continue to take a long view of this. 2015 is already a dead year to me, I just want to see this organization begin the process of putting the right people in the right places. I've already gone on and on about praying they somehow dump Cutler, but if they stick with him, I'd hope...and pray...like crazy that whatever the subsequent decision they make about Marshall is, that it is consistent with their decision about Cutler.

Cali, I just don't see the upside of cutting both- that's eating A LOT of contract/cap hits. With no replacements in place. While I agree that 2015 isn't a SB year. Keeping Jay can be salvaged and makes more sense money wise.
18 picks 3 fumbles and 25 TDs, 4500 yards= Probowl in 2008
18 picks 5 fumbles and 28 TDs, 3900 yards= Must Cut and eat 15.5 million dollars ???

To anyone- if you actually read Hub's article it makes perfect sense. Marshall has caused issues on a lot of teams. His production has been good, but is in decline... And if we don't think we are going to win and have seen his antics in losing seasons- doesn't that stand to reason he will continue the trend of disruption?
Jay still has his supporters in the LR, has never been an issue with teammates or the law. Doesn't throw teammates or shitty coaches under the bus. Has repeatedly said he likes Chicago and wants to stay.
Is it possible that Jay has told Brandon to STFU and stop his BS? And that's why Brandon has lessened his support of Jay- like a self centered POS that he's shown he is.
I don't know how they would replace both Jay's and Marshall's production. And without the cap space to add players it could a VERY ugly season- I'm thinking Jaguars/Titans ugly. I don't see an Andrew Luck as #1 pick in 2016. Suck for Luck isn't there... If we had that I could get on board a little more.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshal is a few wins away from being a great guy again. I'm glad he reacted badly to failure. I don't see any cancer in the locker room either.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Cali, I just don't see the upside of cutting both- that's eating A LOT of contract/cap hits. With no replacements in place. While I agree that 2015 isn't a SB year. Keeping Jay can be salvaged and makes more sense money wise.

"No replacements in place" is a non-issue. Totally, utterly irrelevant. You go out and get someone new. That's what building a franchise means. I am not saying Marshall *must* go. I don't know what's been happening behind the scenes. But if management thinks he has become a cancer, and it is counterproductive for him to be here, then the fact that his leaving creates a gap on the roster in 2015 means absolutely zero, nothing, zilch, nada. You give what cap space is leftover after the dead money cap hit and the playing time/snaps to a new draft pick, to a new free agent, to Wilson, someone else. Period.

I have always felt that the main reason Marshall was even allowed to be here was to placate Cutler. It was a "part of the package." If Cutler is no longer a part of the package, and that's no longer in the calculus, maybe it isn't worth it.

Again, I'm not saying whether it is or isn't, since I don't know what's really been happening. But if he is undermining the team's chemistry, yes, he should be cut, regardless of whether someone on the current roster exists to take his snaps.

Keeping Jay *can* be salvaged, yes. I'm not sure it is worth it to do that, but even I, as a militant dump-Cutler-now guy, can admit that he can (and probably) will be brought back as a starter, and it is always possible that he would actually magically stop committing turnovers. But money wise, no it does not make any sense at all, you are totally backwards on that. In theory, we could bring in some garbage journeyman QB for $5 million per and gain some cap space, but the team *might* win another game or two next year. Maybe not, given Cutler's turnover propensity, but we certainly could. But money could be saved, and if you rip the bandage off now in 2015, your franchise is in way better cap shape for 2016. Vastly, vastly better. Cutler's play, if he stays, has to warrant that, considering his massive cap hit.