• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So how is your team looking post FA

How is your team looking?

• Loving it!

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Just "Okay"

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • don't like it

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • "christ do we have a front office?"

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Potato Salad with bacon

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guy was commenting after a loss, at home, to the Lions.

Possible the worst display of hands by a team I've ever seen. Brutal.

And will prolly cost Detroit Chase Young.

I'm trying to understand if the Lions did anything to improve based on how they played last year.
They started out 2-0-1 mostly due to freshness but they beat two overrated teams.

Then they lost heartbreakers to KC and GB, and it seemed after that they gave up. They lost shootouts to Oakland, Dallas. Lost another heartbreaker to GB. They lose to Washington, a team they had owned recently and were clearly better than that season. They then get killed by TB and Denver later in the season.

Is talent the problem on this team? They've got weapons on offense clearly, but something's not clicking. I also believe Stafford cannot consistently deliver to TEs. That TE looked good to start but as the season goes on he was getting fewer targets. I don't understand why the Lions kept him. Patricia wants a Pats-like team and probably wants Hockinson to be the go-to guy.

Will losing Slay hurt them?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting not. After signing Gurley and Treadwell along with the trade for Hurst the Falcons are set to be the first team in NFL history with all 11 projected starters on offense being 1st round draft picks

May not mean shit but its interesting

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to understand if the Lions did anything to improve based on how they played last year.
They started out 2-0-1 mostly due to freshness but they beat two overrated teams.

Then they lost heartbreakers to KC and GB, and it seemed after that they gave up. They lost shootouts to Oakland, Dallas. Lost another heartbreaker to GB. They lose to Washington, a team they had owned recently and were clearly better than that season. They then get killed by TB and Denver later in the season.

Is talent the problem on this team? They've got weapons on offense clearly, but something's not clicking. I also believe Stafford cannot consistently deliver to TEs. That TE looked good to start but as the season goes on he was getting fewer targets. I don't understand why the Lions kept him. Patricia wants a Pats-like team and probably wants Hockinson to be the go-to guy.

Will losing Slay hurt them?
Stafford got hurt. It's a shitty team with no depth, poor coaching and no hope in sight.

Hockenson thought DBs were track hurdles. So he got hurt also. Most targets on the season was his last game. For like two yards.

Pretty sure Brandon Pettigrew owns most of the franchise records at TE. Came in as a rookie with Stafford. Long retired. I don't think Staff has an issue throwing to TEs. He's not Great on out routes, but it's the route not the target.

Patricia doesn't Coach offense. He's a sketchy human being with no class, style, personality or friends. But I don't see him pushing a TE as the focus of the offense. There's one good player on the team at this point, who was on pace for like 5000 yards and 40 TDs when management gave up on the season.

I don't see giving Slay away as something that will help the defense. As, imo, he was the best player on that defense.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting not. After signing Gurley and Treadwell along with the trade for Hurst the Falcons are set to be the first team in NFL history with all 11 projected starters on offense being 1st round draft picks

May not mean shit but its interesting

It just gives sports talk radio guys something to spout about the OC if the OFC is not clicking.

I wouldn't be shocked if Treadwell is not the slot.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not bizarre at all.

Floyd couldn't rush the passer at all opposite Mack. And with out Hicks to collapse the pocket from the middle for most of the year, Mack was double and triple teamed on EVERY play. We'll see how Quinn does but it's a strong attempt to address the pass rush dearth outside of Mack. It might not work out but it won't be for lack of trying. The deal is effectively a 2 year deal the way it's structured.

I'm not a big fan of the Graham deal either, but it's not as bad as it looks on the surface due to how it's structured. We're also in dire need of a tight end so we'll see what happens and he's been a model of health for all but one year of his career. Pace is banking on him still being solid just underused in Green Bay as he had a couple great years in Seattle.

There was no better QB we could have hoped for. Couldn't afford Rivers or Brady, offered $20 mil per year for Bridgewater but he took the wide open starting job in Carolina. Foles knows the coaching staff and the system so he can step right in. Plus with this coronavirus shit possibly pushing all team activities way back, that familiarity with the system will be key.

We're short on draft picks so Pace had to be aggressive in free agency to address some needs. We've got a couple 2nd rounders that can be used on offensive line and maybe defensive backfield, which are our 2 biggest needs right now. So when i say "i love it", it's because when it comes to aggressiveness in addressing our needs within the realm of what's realistic, I don't see how Pace could have done better in free agency given who is and isn't available. Pace couldn't trade for Mahomes, sign Austin Hooper and sign Dante Fowler, for example.

If it were 2013 -- it'd be a great FA haul for Chicago.

Shelling out the money they did when every player they signed or traded for are 30 and up. It is just bizarre to me.

If Quinn excelled in a 3-4, pairing him with Mack would make sense, but giving a 5 year deal to a 30 year old DE, who was playing in 4-3 and has had known struggles playing in a 3-4 seems like an odd signing.

Giving Graham 16 million to be a one dimensional TE (he does NOT block) at 33 or 34 and giving him a no trade clause, as if he were still a star looks desperate.

There is zero upside with any of the players they signed or traded for?!? But if Chicago fans are happy, that's all that matters. I can tell you -- NFC North fans are happy with them too

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford got hurt. It's a shitty team with no depth, poor coaching and no hope in sight.

Hockenson thought DBs were track hurdles. So he got hurt also. Most targets on the season was his last game. For like two yards.

Pretty sure Brandon Pettigrew owns most of the franchise records at TE. Came in as a rookie with Stafford. Long retired. I don't think Staff has an issue throwing to TEs. He's not Great on out routes, but it's the route not the target.

Patricia doesn't Coach offense. He's a sketchy human being with no class, style, personality or friends. But I don't see him pushing a TE as the focus of the offense. There's one good player on the team at this point, who was on pace for like 5000 yards and 40 TDs when management gave up on the season.

I don't see giving Slay away as something that will help the defense. As, imo, he was the best player on that defense.

Who's calling the plays? JBC still there?

Shelling out the money they did when every player they signed or traded for are 30 and up. It is just bizarre to me.

If Quinn excelled in a 3-4, pairing him with Mack would make sense, but giving a 5 year deal to a 30 year old DE, who was playing in 4-3 and has had known struggles playing in a 3-4 seems like an odd signing.

Giving Graham 16 million to be a one dimensional TE (he does NOT block) at 33 or 34 and giving him a no trade clause, as if he were still a star looks desperate.

There is zero upside with any of the players they signed or traded for?!? But if Chicago fans are happy, that's all that matters. I can tell you -- NFC North fans are happy with them too

Put up or shut up then.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Put up or shut up then.

Put up or shut up???? What am I supposed to put up?

If it makes Bears fans feel better -- we paid $13 million for a backup QB, who we will still lose every game with if Stafford goes down and like $50 million for a swing OT.

And Darrell Bevell is calling plays now. The offense looked really good until Stafford went down. The defense, on the other hand, is.......not good.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quinn is a huge upgrade and it will help Mack too. It's a 2 year deal for what we were paying Floyd.
Foles is a huge upgrade at back up QB.
Graham is better then what we had but WTF for sure.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Put up or shut up then.
Jim Bob is the Jets RBs coach now.

Darrell Bevell is OC now. Formerly of the Seahawks. I'm cool with him being HC anytime.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn is a huge upgrade and it will help Mack too. It's a 2 year deal for what we were paying Floyd.

giphy.gif

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Foles makes a lot of money so Tribs is going to have to show something to regain his starting gig.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a fairly young team and Pace is trying to win now. This defense won't be at the top of their game for too much longer.

I would agree it's a risk as he's been better as a 4-3 end but who else was better out there as a pass rusher other than maybe Dante Fowler? Also, once you learn how NFL deals work, you can see beyond the total of the contract. It's effectively a 2 year deal with no dead cap after year 2.

It's $3 mil dead cap if he's cut next season. And we need a tight end who can catch the ball moreso than block. I'm not crazy about the deal but tight end was a big need position and Graham is a capable pass catcher there in the event that Burton doesn't come back like we expected him to.

How is there not any upside with a quarterback who won a superbowl MVP, beating Tom Brady in the process? All things considered, Foles is the best QB we could have gotten and QB was a major need position with Trubisky underwhelming. And Quinn was one of the best pass rushers in football last year by the metrics. There's plenty of upside there.

Again, the Bears were 8-8 last year with major injuries on defense and just about everything going wrong on offense. Shoring up some key spots with quality vets (namely QB) and not getting bit too hard by the injury bug makes this a superbowl contender. There's chances for things to go wrong too but that comes with the territory. Considering the limited options available, Pace has done well to address the needs going into the draft.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah Ya. Bears have the No.2 pick invested here. They will give Mitch every chance to succeed. Foles is plan B. And a decent plan B. Don't let your hate blind you.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have a $10 million dollar dead cap hit in year 3 of Quinn's deal. So while he may only be there two years -- his contract won't. I believe year 4 is a 6 million dead cap hit.
I think Quinn is a heck of player, but it has been when he played in a 4-3.

And Foles is definitely an upgrade at backup, but 20+ million for a backup QB is crazy. Jacksonville was doing cartwheels to get out of that contract.

And the Graham deal is a head scratcher, as Chicago got to watch him twice a year first hand. He isn't a top 5 or even a top 15 TE now and he doesn't block. Maybe he catches a 2nd wind? But at 33 or 34, it is highly unlikely, especially if he couldn't with Aaron Rodgers as his QB.

From the outside looking in -- it seems as if the Bears FA plan is akin to trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

As I said though, if the Bears fans are happy -- that's all that matters.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does not have to regain it. It's his. He has to hold on to it.

I'm not sold it's his when you trade for a pricey QB. If it is his, why would your GM trade make that kind of trade?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a fairly young team and Pace is trying to win now. This defense won't be at the top of their game for too much longer.

I would agree it's a risk as he's been better as a 4-3 end but who else was better out there as a pass rusher other than maybe Dante Fowler? Also, once you learn how NFL deals work, you can see beyond the total of the contract. It's effectively a 2 year deal with no dead cap after year 2.

It's $3 mil dead cap if he's cut next season. And we need a tight end who can catch the ball moreso than block. I'm not crazy about the deal but tight end was a big need position and Graham is a capable pass catcher there in the event that Burton doesn't come back like we expected him to.

How is there not any upside with a quarterback who won a superbowl MVP, beating Tom Brady in the process? All things considered, Foles is the best QB we could have gotten and QB was a major need position with Trubisky underwhelming. And Quinn was one of the best pass rushers in football last year by the metrics. There's plenty of upside there.

Again, the Bears were 8-8 last year with major injuries on defense and just about everything going wrong on offense. Shoring up some key spots with quality vets (namely QB) and not getting bit too hard by the injury bug makes this a superbowl contender. There's chances for things to go wrong too but that comes with the territory. Considering the limited options available, Pace has done well to address the needs going into the draft.

Who told you Quinn has no dead cap after year 2? He has almost 20 million in dead cap in years 3-5. $10m in year 3, $6m in year 4, $3m in year 5.

And it is Foles, the player, I would be upset with. It is what you owe Foles and what he will count against your cap. He is guaranteed 21 million, and he has the choice to opt out if he does start and get a new deal after year 1 or year 2. And in year 2 and year 3 -- he has a $20 million dollar cap hit.
Is it an upgrade to your backup position? Sure. But it is way too much to pay Foles.

On paper -- yes, if you just look at the names signed -- Chicago did great. When you look at the big picture, it looks like some bizarre deals they handed out and essentially, with what they are paying Foles -- they either have the most expensive backup in the NFL, or a huge bust they traded up to #2 to draft