• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So does our trade look worse now with Welker deal?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
DId someone really say that a 6th rnder for a 1,000 yard WR and the best WR in the playoffs last year is a waste? Haha I have heard it all now

The objection is presumably more to the contract than the pick. Given our situation this year, I view the 6th round pick as almost irrelevant. But we're somewhat cap-strapped, so I do think it's fair to question the contract we handed out. We've got lots of tough decisions coming up, and we need to focus on keeping our own guys first and foremost.

I like Boldin a lot, and he's clearly an upgrade over pretty much anything else we realistically could/would have gotten this offseason. But I wonder if he's worth the contract at the expense of other players. Time will tell.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The objection is presumably more to the contract than the pick. Given our situation this year, I view the 6th round pick as almost irrelevant. But we're somewhat cap-strapped, so I do think it's fair to question the contract we handed out. We've got lots of tough decisions coming up, and we need to focus on keeping our own guys first and foremost.

I like Boldin a lot, and he's clearly an upgrade over pretty much anything else we realistically could/would have gotten this offseason. But I wonder if he's worth the contract at the expense of other players. Time will tell.

What players? Cuz looking at the contracts for the guys who left Boldin is pretty cheap.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it this way. Would you rather have Boldin for 6 million and a compensatory 2014 3rd round pick or Goldson/Walker/Soap for over 30 Mil in guaranteed money?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Put it this way. Would you rather have Boldin for 6 million and a compensatory 2014 3rd round pick or Goldson/Walker/Soap for over 30 Mil in guaranteed money?

That's fair. I didn't even consider compensatory picks. We could be in line for some nice ones next year. Another reason to take it easy on the FA market this year. I'd think losing Goldson could net a 3rd, and Walker could be a 4th or 5th. Boldin was traded and Asomugha was cut, so our only FA pickup to date is Dorsey.

And to clarify, I'm not upset at all about the Boldin trade. I generally like it. I just don't love it as much as some others.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both teams got what they needed. You guys needed the Boldin mold WR and Denver needed a slot guy. You guys were able to get your man for a 6th round pick which is a hell of a deal for Boldin. Welker is a better fit in Denver with Thomas and Decker on the outsides.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

$6mil for a guy who has had 1,000 5x in 10 years and was the best WR in the playoffs last year? No problem :clap:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think both teams got what they needed. You guys needed the Boldin mold WR and Denver needed a slot guy. You guys were able to get your man for a 6th round pick which is a hell of a deal for Boldin. Welker is a better fit in Denver with Thomas and Decker on the outsides.

Not being a fan of either team, you'll be little less bias...

Which player do you think is better, Boldin or Welker?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DId someone really say that a 6th rnder for a 1,000 yard WR and the best WR in the playoffs last year is a waste? Haha I have heard it all now

The point was we could have had a better player(my opinion I guess, many dont seem high on Welker), saved our 6th round pick, and had the position set for two years because of the contract terms.

Dont try to distort the topic.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point was we could have had a better player(my opinion I guess, many dont seem high on Welker), saved our 6th round pick, and had the position set for two years because of the contract terms.

Dont try to distort the topic.

I think Welker chooses Denver regardless of what any other team offers. Playoff team where the QB loves his slot receiver. Win Win for Welker.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way Welker takes a 1 year deal. Baalke needs cap flexibility and does not want another $6 deal on the books when it's time to extend the upcoming FAs on the team.

It's not an issue of whether Baalke thought Boldin was better than Welker. It's an issue of not being able to sign a $6 contract that extends past 13-14. Can't and won't do it with so many upcoming FAs.

edit: My guess is if Boldin had another 2 years remaining on his deal (instead of one), Baalke does not make the Boldin trade.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's no way Welker takes a 1 year deal. Baalke needs cap flexibility and does not want another $6 deal on the books when it's time to extend the upcoming FAs on the team.

It's not an issue of whether Baalke thought Boldin was better than Welker. It's an issue of not being able to sign a $6 contract that extends past 13-14. Can't and won't do it with so many upcoming FAs.

edit: My guess is if Boldin had another 2 years remaining on his deal (instead of one), Baalke does not make the Boldin trade.

Wouldnt a two year deal be ideal for us then? What big FA's would we have?

Our big ones are two years from now, a perfect time for the contract to expire.

The only ones I can think that are really worth anything are Justin Smith and Terrell Brown.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who could we had that was better then Boldin? Welker is a system guy, Boldin is a big strong WR you can body anyone up and go get the football, something we dont have on this team

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who could we had that was better then Boldin? Welker is a system guy, Boldin is a big strong WR you can body anyone up and go get the football, something we dont have on this team

It's all assuming we could've gotten Welker who I think is clearly the better player.

The trade for us is still good but my initial reaction was when I saw Welker signed with the Broncos, that we could've had him instead.

I'm not sure why everyone is so down on Welker and yet Boldin gets excuses.

1. Boldin has not been a 1000 yard receiver in 3 years. His last was in 2009 when he went for 1024 yards.
  2. Boldin has only played 3 full seasons in his 10 year career.
  3. Boldin ran 527 total routes this season, 328 of them from the slot = 62.2% from the slot.
  4. According to PFF, Boldin has struggled in run blocking since 2009.
  5. Boldin had 4 TD catches during the regular season last year. He had 3 the previous year.

The last two years: Welker has 240 catches. 2923 yards. 15 TD catches.
The last two years: Boldin has 122 catches. 1808 yards. 7 TD catches.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Gotta thonk of the systems tht they both play in. I'll take Boldin every time.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Boldin has not been a 1000 yard receiver in 3 years. His last was in 2009 when he went for 1024 yards.

FWIW, the Ravens' version of Matt Maiocco was on KNBR the other day, and he says that if Boldin was used as a primary WR in a good offense, he could still be a 100 catch guy. Says his numbers shouldn't be taken as an indication of his ability.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens' version of Matt Maiocco was on KNBR the other day, and he says that if Boldin was used as a primary WR in a good offense, he could still be a 100 catch guy. Says his numbers shouldn't be taken as an indication of his ability.

Looking at their respective skills on the field rather than looking at a stat sheet is always the way to go, but this comparison really drives that truth home IMO.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all assuming we could've gotten Welker who I think is clearly the better player.

The trade for us is still good but my initial reaction was when I saw Welker signed with the Broncos, that we could've had him instead.

1. Boldin has not been a 1000 yard receiver in 3 years. His last was in 2009 when he went for 1024 yards.
  2. Boldin has only played 3 full seasons in his 10 year career.
  3. Boldin ran 527 total routes this season, 328 of them from the slot = 62.2% from the slot.
  4. According to PFF, Boldin has struggled in run blocking since 2009.
  5. Boldin had 4 TD catches during the regular season last year. He had 3 the previous year.

The last two years: Welker has 240 catches. 2923 yards. 15 TD catches.
The last two years: Boldin has 122 catches. 1808 yards. 7 TD catches.

None of this mean shit because the pats pass the entire game and the Ravens actually have one of the best RB in the game of football and they were balanced. What happend in the playoffs? Put those numbers up, Boldin had 400 yards and 4tds in the 2013 playoffs. He is a real physical WR, where is welker is a system guy like Amendola is, he cant block, he cant out jump anyone like I have seen Boldin do his whole career