• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so another strike eh?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With the pa blocking the realignment....I doubt the sides are even close on cba talks. amazing that they never learn a thing

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doesn't look good that's for sure. Apparently though it was the league that called it off today because they gave the players union a deadline of today, but they couldn't reach an agreement despite being in negotiations.

That seems pretty stupid to me.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree but i do think the pa wanted too much. They wanted a model on how the schedule would work? That's kinda unrealistic if you ask me.

Pa took a black eye on this I'm sure they will battle back on something to save face

kellmit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it seems like they were pissed for not being involved in the first place and decided to block it just to be assholes

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The PA is being stupid in my opinion. This isn't a good sign at all. In the end, a lockout will hurt everyone but it's not like the players will ever win much. All this does is piss the owners off before the negotiations or dispute starts this summer. Players threw the first rock here. Not a good sign.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One other thing. The owners will insist to increase the UFA age and probably win that part of the negotiation since it looks like the PA is looking for war. If there is a next season Zack would be stuck with us another year.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rp i thouhht that too but the cba doesn't expire til September free agency is still july 1st. whoever he signs with he will be their rfa once a new deal gets hammered out.

I agree its stupid. That there will be another....notice i said there will be?

I know the players gave a lot last time but if their biggest gripe that the travel might be longer with the new format or that the western conferences have a 7% less chance of making the playoffs? Really your getting paid to play a game. Getting millions of dollars to play. Be a little grateful.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good point. I thought I read somewhere that Zack could possibly be affected but you are right. By July 1 he will be signed somewhere.

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised at all about this. Fehr is know to be a hard ass negotiator. This is only the start and I truly think there will be issues with negotiating a new CBA. Maybe it is something that the players association will use as a bargaining chip in the negotiations? i.e. get something by bringing this back on the table when the CBA negotiations are on.
If I recall (don't quote me on this) the NHL players have around 57-58% of the revenue where the NBA recently agreed to 50% and the NFL are in around 45%. So the players are going to have to most likely give up some share and I believe this is going to be a hard pill for them to swallow.
I personally will be surprised if the players and the NHL come to a quick agreement for the new CBA.

Agree Cup that the players should just be glad that they are making millions playing.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wonder if the league would be willing to go to the 4 new divisions and just make it so that the top 2 in each division are guaranteed top 4 seeds. Then the bottom 4 seeds would be open to anyone, therefore giving every team the same chance of making the playoffs. The home and home makes no sense to me. Can you imagine the Devils flying to Vancouver or even worse the other way. Playing one game at 10PM in Vanc ET getting on a plane at 2AM at the earliest arriving in NJ at 8AM and then playing at 7 that night? That would be unbelievably stupid. Or were the home and homes only in the new conferences?

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the league would be willing to go to the 4 new divisions and just make it so that the top 2 in each division are guaranteed top 4 seeds. Then the bottom 4 seeds would be open to anyone, therefore giving every team the same chance of making the playoffs. The home and home makes no sense to me. Can you imagine the Devils flying to Vancouver or even worse the other way. Playing one game at 10PM in Vanc ET getting on a plane at 2AM at the earliest arriving in NJ at 8AM and then playing at 7 that night? That would be unbelievably stupid. Or were the home and homes only in the new conferences?

I took it to mean that each team would have a home game, not that they would play a traditional "home and home" series.

And I think people are misreading the PA turning down the alignment plan. They turned it down because, as devils30mb said, they wanted a bargaining chip when they sit down to talk about the CBA. If they acquiesced now, when it came time to negotiate the CBA, they would get nothing in return. Now, they can give it to the owners and the league later on and get something in return.

There are also rumors that the owners were not as happy with the alignment plan as it appeared from the vote. Supposedly the owners are not as united as they would like everyone to believe and by delaying the real negotiations on the alignment, the PA can draw out some of that strife.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PA also didnt outright turn it down. They asked for more time the NHL said no and defaulted as the PA turning it down

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i do agree both sides are being stupid about this whole thing and i really doubt this gets fixed before the deadline comes.

that said the prime worries for the pa was travel concerns and longer road trips? and a 7% decrease for western conference teams on making the playoffs? those are pretty lame objections to me.

i would think the players would rather make one long trip during the year instead of making 3 small west coast trips. i also think that if your worried you have a 7% less chance of making the playoffs then you should just play better and win the games you have to and not worry about it. i do think the nhl couldve made up a mock schedule for both versions of the schedule how hard could it be?

either way like i said both sides are being stupid....but i do think the players are on fault for this one.