• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So Am I The A$$hole?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was new at my job in Okinawa, I volunteered to cue for company picnic. Unsponsored even we all pitched in on.
We had a committee to plan and direct roles. One of the planners "decided" he wanted a whole pig.
I told him I did not want to cook a whole pig on the beach. He was upset because he loved his idea. I did not.
I told him we can do whole hog if he wanted to cook it. He declined, sulked and crossed me off his friends list.

8 years later I was asked to return to Okinawa. Our team was screwing the pooch and they needed me. I agreed. My boss got tired of the bullshit of new management and transferred. The planner hung around long enough that he inherited My boss' position. Meet my new boss, still pissed about the pig! A few months later My director was surprised to hear I had a new job!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asshole!

As for bragging about cooking, you have already done that in prior thread. Not to worry.
I have found that false modesty is a very poor choice.

Volunteering somebody else's service is for the military. I did not allow it at work nor do I allow it at home.
I have very close friends that have asked me to cook for a group - even when I'm not invited! I consider it an honor, in those cases. I was once was asked to cook for my wife's company party - 300 people. I did it because I enjoyed it.
I will never forget this old couple complaining about how long it was taking. I accidently knocked a chicken breast off the cue I told him "yours is ready"

It is an honor - but only if you want to do it. Bow out if you want. Yes, you can tell them to have the meat ready and everybody pitch in prep on the sides. pick something easy like filet steaks - expensive and quick.
Bad advice from someone is charging them for the work. That's for money making ventures and I have done plenty of that. Family or friends is yes, no or I'm inviting you to my barbecue. You could also offer to cook the hotdogs if they will do Thanksgiving dinner!

A polite way to bow out would be to say that is too much work on a long trip and I just want to relax with family/friends.
It will go over better than "fuck you, I'm not going" That's unless you want to be an asshole - and we all want to be an asshole sometimes. We're American and have the God given right to be an asshole!

Please remember whatever advice you decide to use is worth exactly what you paid for it!
Well said Southie. I'm with you the wife and I both love cooking and entertaining. So we have many parties. I'm lucky my wife does the majority of cooking. She makes a great cheese cake as well and is usually asked to make one or two for parties we attend.

I BBQ and cook Thai. I started cooking Thai back in the states. You can find everything on youtube these days. If anyone is intereseted I'll send you links to a couple of my favorite channels. I always received compliments on my cooking which is a great feeling. Especially now in Thailand, and Thais even find it delicious. Many keep saying I should open a restaraunt. F that, too much work. Just enjoy doing it more as a hobby.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said Southie. I'm with you the wife and I both love cooking and entertaining. So we have many parties. I'm lucky my wife does the majority of cooking. She makes a great cheese cake as well and is usually asked to make one or two for parties we attend.

I BBQ and cook Thai. I started cooking Thai back in the states. You can find everything on youtube these days. If anyone is intereseted I'll send you links to a couple of my favorite channels. I always received compliments on my cooking which is a great feeling. Especially now in Thailand, and Thais even find it delicious. Many keep saying I should open a restaraunt. F that, too much work. Just enjoy doing it more as a hobby.
One thing that I have learned from watching a couple locals here that heard their BBQ was so good they should open a restaurant.

It's one thing to cook for a family event. You put your heart into making sure your friends love a brisket, or spaghetti, or mac and cheese.

It's a whole different level to make it for any passerby to come in and enjoy. You simply do not have the time to rub each brisket or pork shoulder with the same attention to detail and still cook enough to be ready for...how many customers today...? 10...? 100? 250??

Cook for 100 and 10 show up, you're throwing food away, or saving it to serve the next day, or two. Those people may never come back if they got Tuesdays pork on Thursday. Cook for 100 and 250 show up? Many of those are never coming back too.
And word of mouth can never be taken back.

Fuck that.
I love to cook too, but only on my terms.

I guess I'm an...

Animation Dog GIF by UGLY GIFS

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that I have learned from watching a couple locals here that heard their BBQ was so good they should open a restaurant.

It's one thing to cook for a family event. You put your heart into making sure your friends love a brisket, or spaghetti, or mac and cheese.

It's a whole different level to make it for any passerby to come in and enjoy. You simply do not have the time to rub each brisket or pork shoulder with the same attention to detail and still cook enough to be ready for...how many customers today...? 10...? 100? 250??

Cook for 100 and 10 show up, you're throwing food away, or saving it to serve the next day, or two. Those people may never come back if they got Tuesdays pork on Thursday. Cook for 100 and 250 show up? Many of those are never coming back too.
And word of mouth can never be taken back.

Fuck that.
I love to cook too, but only on my terms.

I guess I'm an...

Animation Dog GIF by UGLY GIFS
It's always my terms.

I've cooked for 40+. Start prep the day before. Finish most before the guests arrive so I still have time to enjoy with them. It's all about planning and good timing.

It's something I enjoy so I don't look at it as a task.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather hang out, drink beer, and grill, then have to sit around pretending I want to make small talk with family members...or anyone else for that matter.
You are a wise, wise man.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We went to some friends house. They had invited us for steaks. The host went out to fire up the gas grill, but he wasn't really experienced. No gas. And, it was 6 PM. The local gas place was closed.

He was furious at his own mistake. I went rummaging around their tool shed and came out with a charcoal grill and a bag of briquettes. Yeah, I ended up cooking, too. Most important, I cooked the steaks the way I like them.

This guy was a full professor at NYU, but some very well educated people have academic tunnel vision. He was, literally, one of the world's foremost experts on ancient Egyptian gold jewelry, but he couldn't cook a steak.

Gimme an asshole with a pair of tongs and a spatula who knows how to use them, any day.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please send me the links and some favorite dishes when/if you have time.
Note that if I muck it up, I'll just blame you!

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We went to some friends house. They had invited us for steaks. The host went out to fire up the gas grill, but he wasn't really experienced. No gas. And, it was 6 PM. The local gas place was closed.

He was furious at his own mistake. I went rummaging around their tool shed and came out with a charcoal grill and a bag of briquettes. Yeah, I ended up cooking, too. Most important, I cooked the steaks the way I like them.

This guy was a full professor at NYU, but some very well educated people have academic tunnel vision. He was, literally, one of the world's foremost experts on ancient Egyptian gold jewelry, but he couldn't cook a steak.

Gimme an asshole with a pair of tongs and a spatula who knows how to use them, any day.

2 tanks are a must.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 tanks are a must.
Sure is. I also keep a couple of the little ones used for the portable camping grills ay my uncles because he'll sometimes let both go dry.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure is. I also keep a couple of the little ones used for the portable camping grills ay my uncles because he'll sometimes let both go dry.

I had two 20 lbers for my Q.

And I bought one of those patio fire things so I now have a third.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to post this earlier. I cook, a lot! Grill, Smoker, or in the kitchen I cook and not to boast but it's really good. My wifes family always have special requests from me for functions that we put on at the house. The wife stated people don't want to cook for me because they feel I will judge them or that I won't be happy. Her Sister along with her sister mother ( yeah from another dad) and a step sister all went in on a nice house north of Atlanta. We traditionally as a house warming gift send a Weber Master Touch 22: Grill. The wife requested I send one to her sister. I ordered it and it arrived. Now they plan to have a house warming party at the new joint. My wife told me they want me to do the cooking, I responded that isn't fair they are having the party, they are inviting us, why the hell should I have to cook. The response was the usual response, everyone loves your food and we would appreciate it. Again I said I think its unfair to invite me to their house and the cook their food. Then I got a fine "I'll tell them you don't want to go". I said not tell them " I will not cook for their party". Now it's an issue. In the end fuck it I won't go then they'll have to cook anyway.
Call the caterer.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please send me the links and some favorite dishes when/if you have time.
Note that if I muck it up, I'll just blame you!
Go to Hot Thai Kitchen on you tube.
Pretty Thai gal so it makes it easy to watch. Educated in the US and Canada. Got a culinary degree and a nutrition degree.
Anyway she walks you thru it in an easy to follow manner, even giving little Thai lessons that will help you when you go to a Thai restaraunt.

I have many favorites.

But I'd say Phad Graprow. You may find it spelt slightly different due to who actually transliterated it?

Bottom line Phad=stir fry and Graprow (sometimes spelt with a k) is Thai holy basil. You can use whatever protien you like? I prefer minced pork=moo sup. You can make it as spicy as you like. This can be a very spicy dish in Thailand. Eaten breakfast, lunch or dinner normally served with a fried egg and rice. Not too hard to make as long as you have an Asian market to source a few items.

Let me know how it turns out. Then I'll shoot you some other favorites. She has plenty of recipies on her channel. I almost follow them all to a T, unless I know it should be changed slightly. I review some other channels just to compare different items or cooking styles being used.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it turns out it will be mothers day weekend, I am disinvited the wife is taking her mother. Standing Rib Roast is on sale locally this weekend I will buy one pop in Deep Freezer and me and my son will do that while they are out of town

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to Hot Thai Kitchen on you tube.
Pretty Thai gal so it makes it easy to watch. Educated in the US and Canada. Got a culinary degree and a nutrition degree.
Anyway she walks you thru it in an easy to follow manner, even giving little Thai lessons that will help you when you go to a Thai restaraunt.

I have many favorites.

But I'd say Phad Graprow. You may find it spelt slightly different due to who actually transliterated it?

Bottom line Phad=stir fry and Graprow (sometimes spelt with a k) is Thai holy basil. You can use whatever protien you like? I prefer minced pork=moo sup. You can make it as spicy as you like. This can be a very spicy dish in Thailand. Eaten breakfast, lunch or dinner normally served with a fried egg and rice. Not too hard to make as long as you have an Asian market to source a few items.

Let me know how it turns out. Then I'll shoot you some other favorites. She has plenty of recipies on her channel. I almost follow them all to a T, unless I know it should be changed slightly. I review some other channels just to compare different items or cooking styles being used.
Have not got there yet.
Currently I'm trying to replicate Peking Duck at home. Takes a couple days.
One of my favorite foods but I'm just not set up with what I need.
Finding someone who raises live ducks would help as store birds are ruined before you can buy them.

Finding live Pekin ducks that dress out at 2.5 pounds would help. Please don't behead the poor little Daffy's!