• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So all you stat people.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your case I'd say he broke 100 yards, had a 100 yard game while that was his total but didn't have a 100-yard game at the end if he lost yards. He had a 97 yard game. It's an interesting case but IMO it's pretty cut and dry because lost yards count.

If that's the question he's asking, I'd agree. It's supposed to be what you accumulate over the course of a game.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true but it is very defined rules. End of game results.

When talking of a record of most yards in a game. You break the record by a few yards. You technically broke the record in one game. but then lose some yards & end the game with a couple less yards. Depending on how you look at it. Do you have the record?
You technically gained more yards in a game than any other player ever (record amount), but you didnt finish the game with the most yards ever. So if the record is held by the guy who finished with the most yards in a game. he still cant say he gained more yards in a game than anyone "ever"

That's really what stats are... what you mathematically define them to be based on what you are intending to measure. I'm not sure why records for those definitions should be any different. Just don't celebrate too early.

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah his 2k season was something to see in 73. I just think his 75 season was better, but OJ's prime was short, 4, 5 years tops. For a season I might pick Juice over any RB, but for a career RB. It'd have to be Sweetness or Barry and I agree. Barry was dynamic as shit. Had he not missed 5 games during the 1993 season when he gained 1115 yards. I think he rushes for 1300+ yards 10 seasons in a row. That's pretty amazing imo. As it stands now. He averaged 99.8 rushing yards per game at 5 yards a pop for his career.
Was the OL called the electric company? Iirc it was.

I have one living uncle that’s a sports fan born in the ‘30s...he still contends that Jim Brown was the best he’s ever seen...I only saw the end and he was still good but I was young. I remember Jim Brown almost as much as an actor than a football player...I always felt he was the Wilt Chamberlain of the NFL...he had LB size and strength with RB speed. DEF lineman were 235-250 back then...lol

I don’t know if I have a favorite since none played for my team I guess. Sayers, speaking of short career, may have been the pioneer but OJ was one of the first modern era RBs with take it to the house speed from anywhere on the field. When he went out west, he was more or less finished.

Sweetness was one of the early guys that could do it all...tremendous leaping ability at the goal line.

It’s odd that the all time rushing leader is rarely mentioned in that rare company of great RBs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He broke 100.

But no... it would not count as a 100 yard game.

I think that's the logical conclusion.